Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Pavel Francouz signs one year deal with the Avs

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Have to think this might be the sort of thing that appeals to Carolina, as a chance to take a somewhat cheap swing on a guy with upside to fix their goaltending mess that's holding them back.

I could see some other teams like Buffalo and Detroit sniffing around, offering a pretty good chance at a backup job. Chicago might be an interesting landing spot with Crawford's situation, and Vancouver could be interested if they're done with the Nilsson experiment...though Demko coming down the pipe hurts the fit after another year or so, and they don't necessarily have the most superb recent track record with bringing guys over from Europe/Russia in particular.

Hard to guarantee a 28 year old "rookie" an NHL job though. He'll probably have to be willing to come over and battle for a job with at least some other sort of journeyman backup.

Reactions: DaveG

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Considering that he can stay in the KHL and get *paid* and play, I doubt he's going anywhere where he's not at-least got a strong chance of winning the starter's job in camp.

So...anybody interested him him with a backup slot in mind is probably dreaming they're even in contention for Francouz.
Nope. He's coming to backup. 70/30.
Done deal.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
More than likely the Blues will shake the tree and see what he is looking to get. There is a need in STL.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
Would love him on the Oilers, Talbot has only 1 year left on contract so nothing is set in stone there.

I think other teams that can offer a good opportunity for playing time is Buffalo/NYI/Carolina/Blues

The Alien

From another world.
Apr 1, 2015
BC
Markstrom and Nilsson are the tank commanders unless Demko forces his way in. Don't see Vancouver being too interested in dealing with another goalie right now, although free assets are free assets.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The logical thing would be to keep both guys, and try and add another goalie like this guy. Canes have cap space. If it works out, then waive darling (no one will pick him up), and let cam ward back up this KHL guy.

I really think darling needs to be sent down where it will be sink or swim. If he can't hack the AHL, then he probably shouldn't be in the NHL. He could certainly use the confidence boost.
Yep, ride Francouz (or similar) with Ward as backup on a 1 year deal. Let Darling try to get his shit together in the AHL splitting time with Needaspellcheck. If he can't, buy his ass out next offseason when that's 2 more years off the books for Darling's cap hit.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
Yep, ride Francouz (or similar) with Ward as backup on a 1 year deal. Let Darling try to get his **** together in the AHL splitting time with Needaspellcheck. If he can't, buy his ass out next offseason when that's 2 more years off the books for Darling's cap hit.
That's exactly what I would do too

Reactions: MinJaBen

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
This was the guy that badly outplayed Petr Mrazek in last years WC. Would be funny to see him go to Detroit, while Mrazek goes to the KHL. :laugh:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Swear to god the Canes better be one of those 3 teams.

Definitely, I'm tired of the Canes swinging and missing with big goalies. Francouz would be a great compliment to Cam Ward as the two play similarly. If the Grubauer/Holtby situation doesn't shake an available starter loose then Francouz would be my #1 choice.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Haven't heard one way or another what Dallas's plan is with Lehtonen. Maybe they'll take a flier on this guy and hope that Bishop comes to camp slightly more durable than he was this season. :help:

I don't like the sound of McKenna as fulltime backup.

Bfreezy40

Dec 17, 2014
Buffalo
Yes Antipin can vouch for how well we will treat you...
I feel like the problem with Antipin is the whole language barrier. He just struggled with it. Hope he stays with us for next season and gets a fair chance at the opening night roster. But i would love for Francouz to come fight with Ullmark for the #1 job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad