Olympics: Czech Republic Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Confirmed roster:

Goaltenders:
Patrik Bartošák
Pavel Francouz
Dominik Furch

Defensemen:
Michal Jordán
Jan Kolář
Tomáš Kundrátek
Vojtěch Mozík
Jakub Nakládal
Ondřej Němec
Adam Polášek
Ondřej Vitásek

Forwards:
Michal Birner
Roman Červenka
Martin Erat
Roman Horák
Jan Kovář
Petr Koukal
Dominik Kubalík
Tomáš Mertl
Lukáš Radil
Martin Růžička
Michal Řepík
Jiří Sekáč
Michal Vondrka
Tomáš Zohorna

Notes: Milan Gulaš was injured and replaced by Martin Růžička.

Original post:

I didn't see any thread, so I start one.

G: Bartošák, Francouz, Furch

D: Doudera, Jordán, Kolář, Krejčík, Kundrátek, Michálek, Moravčík, Mozík, Nakládal, Němec, Němeček, Roth, Šmíd, Šulák, Vitásek

F: Birner ,Červenka, Erat, Filippi, Gulaš, Hanzl, Horák, Klepiš, Koukal, Kousal, Kovář, Kubalík, Lev, Mertl, Nestrašil, Radil, Růžička, Řepík, Sekáč, Vondrka, Zaťovič, Zohorna

Roster for Karjala Cup: Sraz před Turnajem Karjala se třemi nováčky a několika navrátilci - Český svaz ledního hokeje

Roster for Channel One Cup: V nominaci na Channel One Cup převládá zkušenost - Český svaz ledního hokeje

Last edited:
Reactions: czechcanadian

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Offense seems fine, defense is meh, OK goaltending. These games could be fine to watch ...

Nestrašil-Sekáč-Červenka
Kubalík-Kovář-Filippi
Radil-Hanzl-Birner
Lev-Zohorna-Horák

Krejčík-Nakládal
Šulák-Mozík
Kolář-Kundrátek/Roth
Jordán, Polášek

Francouz
Furch
Svoboda

Edit: Forgot about Z.Michálek, we'll se how he adjusts in Sparta. And what about Milan ? He looked pretty good at the World Cup last year but then he wasn't able to make the Maple Leafs roster ...

Last edited:

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Klepis, Smid, Michalek, Erat, Nemec. :help:
Horrendous. Nemec is ok I guess...

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Offense seems fine, defense is meh, OK goaltending. These games could be fine to watch ...

Nestrašil-Sekáč-Červenka
Kubalík-Kovář-Filippi
Radil-Hanzl-Birner
Lev-Zohorna-Horák

Krejčík-Nakládal
Šulák-Mozík
Kolář-Kundrátek/Roth
Jordán, Polášek

Francouz
Furch
Svoboda

Edit: Forgot about Z.Michálek, we'll se how he adjusts in Sparta. And what about Milan ? He looked pretty good at the World Cup last year but then he wasn't able to make the Maple Leafs roster ...
There can be 4 out of 7 defensman from last year World Cup, which is interesting fact.
Milan Michálek doesn't play anywhere, his brother say he probably retire.

Vidy

Apr 14, 2017
Czechia
My roster for Olympics:

Mazanec [1/2] (26), Furch [1/2] (27), Hrachovina [3] (23)

Šmíd (31) - Nakládal (29), Mozík (24) - Jordán (27), Polášek (26) - Kundrátek (27), Šulák (23)

Kubalík (22) - Hanzl (28) - Erat (36)
Červenka (31) - Horák (26) - Klepiš (33)
Birner (31) - Kovář (27) - Řepík (28)
Kašpar (32) - Lev (26) - Radil (27)
Nestrašil (26)

Erat - C
Červenka - A
Nakládal - A

AVG. - 27,6

:hockey:

Last edited:

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
So Karjala Cup end.

We beat Switzerland and lost with Sweden and Russia.

I think our best game was against Sweden. We play in high tempo, have a lots of chances and lost because of indiscipline, not performance.

With Switzerland it was game without tempo. We win because of good powerplay.

And with Russia it was our worst game. We was worse in everything and the lost 2-5 can be bigger.

The good thing in this tournament was definitely powerplay. We score 7 out of 8 goals from pp, which speak for itself.

From players Klepis and Mazanec were positive suprises for me. Especially Klepiš did a big step at Olympic.

The bad things were productivity at even strength and bad defense. There were too many breakaways, bad positional play, etc..

Player who didn't play well was Šulák. Expected more from Mozík and Sekáč.

Overall not a good tournament. I expect 15-17 players to be at Olympic from this roster. Hopefully we will play better with our full strength roster.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
This will be all about Jandac. We dont have depth but present names might be capable to battle for bronze. Shame we dont have better centers. There is a good article in Sport.cz today. They said Znarok beat him 6x. He should take that to that level of competition and stop hiding behind team and system. So far he is proving he would be good manager to built a team but not a coach winning big battles. We should hit them all over the ice when it was 1:3 and they started overpassing. But for that you need that motivation and energy.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
I don't care about these pre-WC/Olympics tournaments anymore, yes it's always nice to see some international hockey but the results here are meaningless. Last year the Czech team had strong showings at Karjala and the Carlson games but given the potential then pretty much totally failed at the Worlds.

Having said that, i agree that Jandac is not the right coach for the NT, i believe his intentions are right but i just don't see any Ruzicka-type emotions or leadership which is exactly what our guys need.
And Sulak needs to go, he has the offensive tools but he lacks strength and doesn't have enough hockey sense to play consistently at this level.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
When two say the same but its not the same. Who you guys think is right? Only clear message from Jandac was about older players. Otherwise I dont really know whats the message before the tourney. Btw there must be some voluntary subject in czech journalist faculties - “carefulness”.

Neumíme si přiznat realitu. Pro Kanadu i Rusko jsme druhořadý soupeř, říká trenér hokejistů Jandač - Seznam Zprávy

Říha: Rusové nejsou dokonalí. Musíme si věřit, ale náš strach jim vyhovuje - iSport.cz

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
When two say the same but its not the same. Who you guys think is right? Only clear message from Jandac was about older players. Otherwise I dont really know whats the message before the tourney. Btw there must be some voluntary subject in czech journalist faculties - “carefulness”.

Neumíme si přiznat realitu. Pro Kanadu i Rusko jsme druhořadý soupeř, říká trenér hokejistů Jandač - Seznam Zprávy

Říha: Rusové nejsou dokonalí. Musíme si věřit, ale náš strach jim vyhovuje - iSport.cz
I think they are both right, it's just different point of view. But I personally agree with Miloš Říha. We have very low self-confidence and it's not only againts Russia. You could see it at last WC, World Cup, even at junior levels. It's good to respect your opponent, but you must also trust in yourself, which is something we often completely lack. And there I agree we miss leaders, someone who can show you, you can win.

Which is why I like to hear they think of Nečas. He is somebody who can be leader in the future and can gain good experience playing in the A-team, especially in Olympic season. Also David Kaše seems do good job in SHL and maybe deserve a shot.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I think they are both right, it's just different point of view. But I personally agree with Miloš Říha. We have very low self-confidence and it's not only againts Russia. You could see it at last WC, World Cup, even at junior levels. It's good to respect your opponent, but you must also trust in yourself, which is something we often completely lack. And there I agree we miss leaders, someone who can show you, you can win.

Which is why I like to hear they think of Nečas. He is somebody who can be leader in the future and can gain good experience playing in the A-team, especially in Olympic season. Also David Kaše seems do good job in SHL and maybe deserve a shot.
Thats a good point about Kase and Necas. For me I dont really understand with what we are going there. If he is really certain about this situation, than he shouldnt say he doesnt know what to do with that. It just sounds like alibism when you dont show any plan to change it. So if we are that bad, lets give up on these Olympics, send there youngsters to get experience. After all it wont be for the first time in the history of our hockey.

But yeh, I am all for what Riha is saying. To be honest Jandac’s presentwtion in the media is getting worse and worse. He looks he completely gave up. Then dont do it when you dont see any chance or say next four years are done we will do this and this....to change it.

I remember Hlinka around 1992 complaining we had to send same guys like Janecky etc every time because there were no other players available. But he didnt look that paralyzed like Jandac. I mean after such interview its hard to even find the reason why to watch these games.

I still have some hopes, but if this continues in OGs, no reason for me to follow it anymore. He is the first guy looking not to have any confidence whatsever.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Thats a good point about Kase and Necas. For me I dont really understand with what we are going there. If he is really certain about this situation, than he shouldnt say he doesnt know what to do with that. It just sounds like alibism when you dont show any plan to change it. So if we are that bad, lets give up on these Olympics, send there youngsters to get experience. After all it wont be for the first time in the history of our hockey.

But yeh, I am all for what Riha is saying. To be honest Jandac’s presentwtion in the media is getting worse and worse. He looks he completely gave up. Then dont do it when you dont see any chance or say next four years are done we will do this and this....to change it.

I remember Hlinka around 1992 complaining we had to send same guys like Janecky etc every time because there were no other players available. But he didnt look that paralyzed like Jandac. I mean after such interview its hard to even find the reason why to watch these games.

I still have some hopes, but if this continues in OGs, no reason for me to follow it anymore. He is the first guy looking not to have any confidence whatsever.
I agree that his interviews are not overwhelmed with confidence. But I think it's just bad choice of words. I believe he do everything in his power to win and want only the best for Czech Republic. The problem is there is no explanation of various situations, which often cause misunderstanding. So it can happen that people think he do something wrong, even if he doesn't, but he didn't tell them. Like last WC, where instead of professional explanations, there were hassle trough media. And you didn't know if there is something wrong or not. But that's not only Josef Jandač fault. It's fault of jounalist as well, who don't ask the right questions to him.

Reactions: Jablkon

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I agree that his interviews are not overwhelmed with confidence. But I think it's just bad choice of words. I believe he do everything in his power to win and want only the best for Czech Republic. The problem is there is no explanation of various situations, which often cause misunderstanding. So it can happen that people think he do something wrong, even if he doesn't, but he didn't tell them. Like last WC, where instead of professional explanations, there were hassle trough media. And you didn't know if there is something wrong or not. But that's not only Josef Jandač fault. It's fault of jounalist as well, who don't ask the right questions to him.

Thats true, media strategy is terrible if there is any. I feel bad I am always negative towards this topic. But what to say as an ordinary fan? They dont explain or answer questions. Unfortunately its partly because they probably dont have answers. They dont even present any strategy or longtime plan to fans. I guess, if nothing changes, it will end up like in soccer, where they hopefully already realized that even good PR doesnt gaurantee you attendance.

Well I am certain they are wrong and they avoid to hire people like Riha,because these would bring different view, approach and therefore conflicts. Unfortunately these people dont want to be under such a preassure. Iam ok with that, but such uncompetitive enviroment can hardly bring any results.

When you constantly repeating that we dont have players, we can not match russians etc., your answer what to do with that can not be “ I dont know”. You are national team coach and also representative of federation for god sake. He doesnt have solution, he doesnt have plan, so what is he doing there? He is building team to just participate on tourney. I mean center depth is horrible but then ok, forget this tourney, show us some bigger picture what to do.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Thats true, media strategy is terrible if there is any. I feel bad I am always negative towards this topic. But what to say as an ordinary fan? They dont explain or answer questions. Unfortunately its partly because they probably dont have answers. They dont even present any strategy or longtime plan to fans. I guess, if nothing changes, it will end up like in soccer, where they hopefully already realized that even good PR doesnt gaurantee you attendance.

Well I am certain they are wrong and they avoid to hire people like Riha,because these would bring different view, approach and therefore conflicts. Unfortunately these people dont want to be under such a preassure. Iam ok with that, but such uncompetitive enviroment can hardly bring any results.

When you constantly repeating that we dont have players, we can not match russians etc., your answer what to do with that can not be “ I dont know”. You are national team coach and also representative of federation for god sake. He doesnt have solution, he doesnt have plan, so what is he doing there? He is building team to just participate on tourney. I mean center depth is horrible but then ok, forget this tourney, show us some bigger picture what to do.
I think they have the plan and because of that is shame they didn't better explain it. There are academies, the Dukla project and else. The invesment to juniors increased from 47 milion to 125 milion, which is increase of 265%. Our sucess againts top nations in juniors increase about 60%, I read somewhere. The prospect pool change from Kundrátek, Kubalík, Nestrašil to Zacha, Zadina, Zbořil, etc... So they do something right, it's just not known how, not entirely.

Of course it's partial fault of people alone, who curse at everything and everyone and are impatient.
Like measure decline or rise of our hockey through A-team, which is finished product and can't change much.

I too agree with hiring experienced people, but dont know if exactly Miloš Říha is the right person. I think better suited are people like Vladimír Vůjtek, Václav Sýkora, etc.. But we didnt know if they didnt have offer and refuse. Which is again lack of informations.

Also agree Coachs are representative of federation, which is why I didn't like these conflicts in media. It's just bring negativity and nothing else. And it's not only now, there was Hadamczik vs Hejda, I think Růžička have some conflict with Hudler and others.

But we must only hope and trust, that it didn't end like in football (which seems to rise slowly too) or Slovakia hockey.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Sorry about the numbers, I take it from website and didn't think much. But it's still a lot.:)

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Sorry about the numbers, I take it from website and didn't think much. But it's still a lot.:)
Numbers are correct:). I spent quite a lot of time to find issues in CZ hockey based on what some experts and scauts said but to be honest I am tired of it:) Still it will be good if we create some sort of coaches union or some other expert pool. But anyway lets hope it will be better and it will be fun to watch czech teamagain

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Numbers are correct:). I spent quite a lot of time to find issues in CZ hockey based on what some experts and scauts said but to be honest I am tired of it:) Still it will be good if we create some sort of coaches union or some other expert pool. But anyway lets hope it will be better and it will be fun to watch czech teamagain
I understand you.:) It will take lot of work. We first medal in 2014 at junior levels in recent years. So I hope when these guys will be in productive age and make the core of A-team ( somewhere aroud 2022-24) it will be better. But I didn't be angry if we win the Olympic and start another golden era right now.:)

Reactions: Jablkon

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
One statistic to think about is Czech u-18 success at Ivan Hlinka.
In the last 5 years, Czechs have won 4 medals(Gold, 2 Silver, Bronze).
In the 7 years prior to that? Best finish was 4th place! And that was just once.
So something is getting better that's for sure. The main thing to work on is the development of kids after that age. The U-20's keep failing year after year. Coaching and politics play a big part in that I think though.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
One statistic to think about is Czech u-18 success at Ivan Hlinka.
In the last 5 years, Czechs have won 4 medals(Gold, 2 Silver, Bronze).
In the 7 years prior to that? Best finish was 4th place! And that was just once.
So something is getting better that's for sure. The main thing to work on is the development of kids after that age. The U-20's keep failing year after year. Coaching and politics play a big part in that I think though.
I agree. We lost step with the top nations between the 18-20 age. The problem is Extraliga, this is where should be our elite and gaining experience. When you look now, there is Galvas who play 19 minutes in match, then Nečas who play 14 and the rest mostly under 10 minutes. Others play in junior leagues, where they mostly stagnate. So they leave to foreign leagues, where only half succeed and others will be lost. This is why I like the Dukla project, which can reduce the leaving, because players can improve in men league(WSM) and have motavition into getting to Extraliga.

But even with that we should do better in u20. Sometimes we have bad luck at injury(Lakatoš, Vrána), sometimes controversial decision(Hájek, Karabáček).But still players like Chlapík, Špaček, Zbořil, Hronek last year, who do good in their leagues, should do better at national level. And it's not only u20, even the u18 world championships are worse they should have been. Like you said, we have 4 medals from Hlinka and yet only one medal from u18 WC. And I think, like I said above it's the mental lability of our teams. There is the picture you could see almost every tournament. Firstly we play good, have lots of chances, but we didn't score goal(another big problem). Then opponent score goal and we instead of continuing our good play, lost almost all self-confidence we have and looks like there is no possibility to win.

And with the unsuccessful WCs came another problem and that is lack of interest from NHL. Because where our players should do their best from all season, it often looks like they do their worst.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Yesterday came out article about Radim Šimek. He thinking about returning back to Europe. Don't know how much it's possible, but he would be welcomed help to our defense if it happen.

Tady je tak jedna lajna, co odpovídá kvalitě extraligy, říká o svém působení v AHL Radim Šimek

This is unreadable. When I looked at Simek last year, I was like "man you gonna be different out there". He might be ready for NHL hockey wise but the rest I highly doubt. NHL might no be for everybody but its a shame if he doesnt make it, ie. if he doesnt try to change it in his head. Maybe he is not that guy... that can happen.

Funny, it looks like D is not the issue for OGs despite Simek would be nice asset if he is in shape. But I hope he stays there becuase its his last chance to get there. He needs to learn language and everything. He wont do it from KHL. Dont give up man!

Last edited:
Reactions: Maluk11

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Roster for Channel One Cup is out:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQWuJsoX0AAaZaF.jpg:large
Erat, Vondrka, Michálek, Němec and Koukal return to national team. No rookie. Doudera, Němec, Erat and Růžička will not play CHL .13 players from KHL, 11 from Extraliga, 3 from NLA and 1 from SM-Liiga.
Kovář, Radil, Řepík, Birner, Šmíd and possibly others are not there, so it's not our full-strength team.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
If no KHLers...

Michal Birner - Roman Cervenka - Milan Gulas
Michael Vondrka - Robert Kousal - Martin Erat
Dominik Kubalik - Tomas Mertl - David Kase
Richard Jarusek - Jakub Klepis - Martin Zatovic
Martin Ruzicka

Libor Sulak - Jakub Krejcik
Vladimir Roth - Marek Troncinsky
Jakub Kindl - Ladislav Smid

Miroslav Svoboda
Dominik Hrachovina

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
If no KHLers...

Michal Birner - Roman Cervenka - Milan Gulas
Michael Vondrka - Robert Kousal - Martin Erat
Dominik Kubalik - Tomas Mertl - David Kase
Richard Jarusek - Jakub Klepis - Martin Zatovic
Martin Ruzicka

Libor Sulak - Jakub Krejcik
Vladimir Roth - Marek Troncinsky
Jakub Kindl - Ladislav Smid

Miroslav Svoboda
Dominik Hrachovina
I think there will be more players from current EHT tournamets like Bartošák, Němec, Michálek, Koukal, Lev. Not bad guess though, I agree with most of them, especially forwards. But let's hope there will be KHL players at Olympic, NHL is more than enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->