Czech Republic: Czech prospects thread

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
So I was looking into supposed talent Jaromir Pytlik. And the HTA(Hockey Talent Academy). I eventually stumbled upon the academies list of players, that went through the program. I was very pleasantly surprised by the names i saw. Before I mention them, I should note that this academy seems to have started not too long ago with the 98 born players.
here are some of the names coming out of this academy,

98-Budik
99-Necas, Zadina, Kaut, Kondelik, Kalaj, Machala
00-Filip M., Baumgartner, Kvasnica, Vacin, Malik

These are some really big names in czech youth hockey.
And some have very seriuosly proven themselves already. I guess this is a good sign for the future of czech hockey. I knew about this hockey school, but didnt know how big of an impact it was making for us.

What are other peoples thoughts? Does anyone know more about this hockey school?

Sipak4

Dec 18, 2014
Early draft prediction:

I hope these guys willbe definetly drafted
- Necas - first round player
- Safin - his frame makes draft
- Kvasnicka
- Bukac

These guys have good chance, lot of them play Extraliga
- Sirota
- Galvas - in 17 be part of A team is nice, but it didn't help doudera last year
- Mikyska
- Chytil - third center in Zlin? nice
- Svoboda - it looks he wil make lot of points in Petesborough

I think some players from last year will be drafted this year. Medal from WJC would help
- Stransky - someone take him, I'm pretty sure
- Reichel - he plays third center and makes some points
- Kachyna
- Kodytek - Plzen junior team looks like national team B and he has amazing numbers

We really need medal from WJC. Lot of our players play Extraliga and we need improve Extraliga's name.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
So I was looking into supposed talent Jaromir Pytlik. And the HTA(Hockey Talent Academy). I eventually stumbled upon the academies list of players, that went through the program. I was very pleasantly surprised by the names i saw. Before I mention them, I should note that this academy seems to have started not too long ago with the 98 born players.
here are some of the names coming out of this academy,

98-Budik
99-Necas, Zadina, Kaut, Kondelik, Kalaj, Machala
00-Filip M., Baumgartner, Kvasnica, Vacin, Malik

These are some really big names in czech youth hockey.
And some have very seriuosly proven themselves already. I guess this is a good sign for the future of czech hockey. I knew about this hockey school, but didnt know how big of an impact it was making for us.

What are other peoples thoughts? Does anyone know more about this hockey school?

Baumgartner is austrian.
That 99 group looks pretty damn good, never heard about Filip M. or Vacin from the 00. Kvasnica and Malik are looking good though.

I don't much about the project, but I would think those schools are good for the players, so hopefully more to come.

Early draft prediction:

- Kvasnicka
- Bukac

- Sirota
- Galvas - in 17 be part of A team is nice, but it didn't help doudera last year
- Mikyska

I think some players from last year will be drafted this year. Medal from WJC would help
- Kachyna
- Kodytek - Plzen junior team looks like national team B and he has amazing numbers

We really need medal from WJC. Lot of our players play Extraliga and we need improve Extraliga's name.

I agree about the medal form WJC, even WJC U18 medal would be great. Last year our junior teams didn't do very well and that obviously didn't help them at the draft.

As for the actual draft predictions go...

Necas is by far the best prospect we have there, hoping he can get into top 15.
In the CHL and USHL we have Svoboda, Machala, Sirota and Kousal who I think have some chance. I don't understand what people see in Bukac. Then there's also Michnac who did much better in the first few games than I expected, but he is quite small so he would need to score a lot of points.
In Czech leagues are Safin, Galvas, Kvasnicka, Chytil and Mikyska.
Overage players to watch are Stransky (can't see him going undrafted twice), Kachyna, Brizgala, Najman and Reichel I guess. No way Kodytek is even in the discussion, guy is 5'6''.
I like goalie Vomacka from the NAHL too.

PS: Not saying all those guys get drafted. Not at all, just names to watch.

Last edited:

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Early draft prediction:

- Kvasnicka
- Bukac

- Sirota
- Mikyska

- Kachyna

My early guess is:
Necas, Safin, Sirota, Kousal, Svoboda, Stransky

Kvasnicka is making great numbers at U20 but he is really small. Same goes to Galvas. But maybe they still will grow a little. Chytil and Mikyska can surprise, I guess.

Overally not so much of a great draft. The only sure thing right now is Necas, on the other hand there are many players who can be seen as wild cards.

I think 2018 draft should be better (helps there are lot of good late '99 - not so good for home WJC 2020 :D ) - Zadina, Kaut, Kral, Buchtela, Skarek, Kondelik, Hrabik, Zabransky, Dostal, Gajarsky, Malik, Jenik, Kvasnica, Plasek...

And also I am cautiously optimistic about '01 which could end up as a really good group. Michal Teply could be next great talent.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I think 2018 draft should be better (helps there are lot of good late '99 - not so good for home WJC 2020 :D ) - Zadina, Kaut, Kral, Buchtela, Skarek, Kondelik, Hrabik, Zabransky, Dostal, Gajarsky, Malik, Jenik, Kvasnica, Plasek...

And also I am cautiously optimistic about '01 which could end up as a really good group. Michal Teply could be next great talent.

Yeh 2018 draft could be a good one. Some really good late 99s. I don't know what to think about the 00 yet, but the U17 Hockey Challenge is in just one month, if it's streamed (last year it was) I will surely watch it to get some idea.

01 looks like a good one, can't wait to see how they stand against Sweden or Finland.
Hopefully both 00 and 01 are good, it would be sweet if we could ice a medal contender in 2020.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Don't think Safin will be drafted.

Anyway, Zack Malík's young brother Nick (goaltender) from 2002 birthyear looks very promising.

Good to have an insight of someone who actually watch those players. Thanks for this.
What flaws does Safin have?

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Don't think Safin will be drafted.

Anyway, Zack Malík's young brother Nick (goaltender) from 2002 birthyear looks very promising.

What's your reasoning for him not being drafted? Of course it's possible, but he has the size, physicality, and skating which are all NHL assets. I don't see him being drafted 2nd round tho. Maybe 4th or 5th.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Good to see players like Faksa and Sedlak work their way up to the NHL with their hard work. Still early but didn't expect Faksa to be as good as he has been and didn't think Sedlak would be more than an average AHL player. It's good for Czech hockey.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Does anyone have a scouting report on Late '99 Tomas Vochozka?

He was just added to the Cedar Rapids (USHL) Roster yesterday. He joins Czech defenseman Jakub Sirota in Cedar Rapids.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
So the draft is over, 2 first rounders, 9 guys in total.
Good or bad draft from the Czech pov in your opinion?

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
So the draft is over, 2 first rounders, 9 guys in total.
Good or bad draft from the Czech pov in your opinion?
Nine players are adequate considering the depth. However there are few names I didn't expect and some omissions I didn't expect either.

I thought Kvasnička, Kern or Machala to get drafted rather than Patera, Vomáčka or Bukač (LOL).

Sipak4

Dec 18, 2014
Nine players are adequate considering the depth. However there are few names I didn't expect and some omissions I didn't expect either.

I thought Kvasnička, Kern or Machala to get drafted rather than Patera, Vomáčka or Bukač (LOL).

Why NHL doesn't like our defensemen in Extraliga? Kvasnicka plays our best league (like Necas or Chytil) in his 17 for whole season. What they want more? Same case like Doudera last year. I believe Machala would be picked, if he stays in Pardubice.

Btw What do you think about the "Dukla" experiment in Litomerice?

Last edited:

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Why NHL doesn't like our defensemen in Extraliga? Kvasnicka plays our best league (like Necas or Chytil) in his 17 for whole season. What they want more? Same case like Doudera last year. I believe Machala would be picked, if he stays in Pardubice.

Btw What do you think about the "Dukla" experiment in Litomerice?
Doudera has never been NHL prospect. I wasn't surprised that he went undrafted. He doesn't offer anything which could get NHL GMs interested in him. To be honest, same case for me is Ostap Safin. I considered him mediocre player and there are a few others from Czech U18 NT that are better than him but were not drafted. He might have been solid player in 90s but not now. But I have to admit that I'm not a fan of big body players who doesn't offer too much besides that :). Machala... Who knows. It is probable but it's too late for him to complain about. His skills are good enough to be a decent player in CHL, therefore I was surprised that he struggled.

As for Dukla experiment, I don't like it. Judging from experience in Slovakia, it may help to finish better at WJC but that should never be the goal of any ice hockey federation. Place at WJC should server as an indicator of the hockey development and work within that country but with these centralized teams this indicator can easily be misleading. Unfortunately, the players won't become better by playing in this Dukla-like team, they'll just be better for fulfiling the purporse of this team, which is making semifinals of WJC.

Last edited:

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Hi guys, congrats on a successful draft for the Czech Republic! :)
I only saw Kvasnicka at the U18s, so I can't comment on his league play. But what I saw of him there was really far from special, and this was my tournament report on him:
Solid two-way defender. Good skater with excellent gap control. Likes to keep a tight gap but bigger players manage to just run through him. Not a strong guy, gets pushed around easily. Bad breakout player; can't skate himself out of pressure and just dumps pucks out. Dumping 'em out all night long. Can play passes when he has time, collected some assists, but he needs that time. Doesn't really do it for me; just going by the tournament I'm not sure I'd draft him. Maybe some teams see more in him, but I just didn't in these games.

Doudera has never been NHL prospect. I wasn't surprised that he went undrafted. He doesn't offer anything which could get NHL GMs interested in him. To be honest, same case for me is Ostap Safin. I considered him mediocre player and there are a few others from Czech U18 NT that are better than him but were not drafted. He might have been solid player in 90s but not now. But I have to admit that I'm not a fan of big body players who doesn't offer too much besides that.
Unlike Kvasnicka, I really liked Safin a lot at the U18s. Here's my report on him:
Safin is a big, strong playmaking centre with great upside. Surprisingly good skater at his size – not only good for his size but very good despite his size. Really digs into the ice on his stride and makes sure to make his strides as long as possible, giving him excellent acceleration and speed. Mobile as well, transitioning smoothly from backwards to forwards and back. Uses his frame to win board battles, protect the puck and drive to the net; follows through on rebounds. Plays a 200-foot game and helps out in the D-zone, supporting defensemen well. Has good defensive positioning, closes passing lanes and blocks shots. Biggest standout attribute is his vision. Excellent passer in the offensive zone who sees the ice really well and can set up scoring chances. Has a powerful shot as well, mostly due to his frame. Quick hands that allow him to control the puck at high speed or in the offensive zone with the ability to dodge oncoming defenders. Promising player who should be a lock to make the NHL in one role or another. Has the basics down – size, skating, IQ – so teams shouldn't worry about him too much. Might be one of the safer bets if he can bring his game consistently and puts in the necessary work. He has the tools to go in the first round.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
So guys Pytlik or Raska as of right now? Raska has played at the higher level so maybe it gives him an edge? Pytlik has the size on him though. Exact same birthday.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Has been quiet here for some time, what do you guys think about the 2018 draft and the Czech prospects? Zadina is the obvious one, but what about others? Do you think there will be 10+ Czechs drafted?

Last edited:

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Has been quiet here for some time, what do you guys think about the 2018 draft and the Czech prospects? Zadina is the obvious one, but what about other others? Do you think there will be 10+ Czechs drafted?
I didn't watch juniors directly, but give my look at it. And I think it's maybe the strongest draft year in recent years for us. 2015 or this. Lots will depends at our perfomance at WJC.

From Goalies there are Škarek and Dostál who will be drafted I think.

Don't know much about defense. Král and Šalda have good numbers and they have a chance. Then maybe Zábranský, I heard he is good, but I didn't see him live.

And Forwards are good. Zadina seems he will go in top 5. Then there is Lauko, Hrabík, Kondelík, Kaut and Jeník with a good chance.

So that do 11 players. Others like Klouček, Kvasnica, Kvasnička have a chance too. Not everyone will be drafted, but I think 10+ will be there.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Who do you guys think can go in first round? Zadina is sure, but have others like Lauko chance?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->