Cycling

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Nice! Enjoy it!

I’m going to Atlanta next weekend for a weekend camp with the tri club I’m part of.

80 miles on Friday, 120 on Saturday, and 100 on Sunday. 2-3 mile brick run each day too boot, and a 4000 meter swim before we hit the road to where we are staying for the weekend.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
So... that went down the drain, real quick.

REasonable first day, though we had quite a bit of rain (the end of a long rainy season).

Day 2, we're riding a fairly long climb, I manage a pretty good effort (292w over 20 minutes), and then on the desent. Ca-blewie.

Coming into a right-hand turn, I ride through a small stream that's running across the road. No biggie, right? Well, turned out that turn was tighter than I had prepared for. So I increase my bank, or brake, or something, I don't know, and.... road rash. All over my right buttocks/thigh, elbow. And a sprained left wrist.

Did lots of reading and watching Volta a Catalunya after that. No more riding (can't brake with the sprained wrist).

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Shitty to hear Imp, sorry man.

I just wrapped up my tri clubs spring training camp.

Thursday - 9 mile run
Friday - 4K swim, 80 mile ride
Saturday - 120 mile ride, 15 minute brick run
Sunday - 100 mile ride, 15 minute brick run

About 20,000 feet of climbing over the 3 days of riding, to boot.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yeah, I'm getting there. Going to try some treadmill running today. Got a huge hematoma under a friction burn on my right leg which makes it feel... tight, I guess is the best word. The wounds on my elbow are painful, but ultimately just annoying.

Two weeks until Berlin Half Marathon...

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Of course I got sick for 1.5 weeks before the Tour of Flanders. On Wednesday I was sure I couldn´t race. On Saturday I was still feeling ill, but I gave it a try. Basically from 30k and all the way through the 229ks I considered stopping, but in the end I did finish the race. Probably close to 1.5 hours slower than I normally would, but...

I said before the race I didn´t think the cobble stones would be that hard - jesus were I wrong. Going uphill it doesn´t matter that much because the speed is so slow (it is tougher than asphalt though), but the flat ones are a $#T%""R# nightmare. I had to look at my hands just to make sure I was still holding on to the bar. Never experienced anything close to that on a bike - and to think that the Paris-Roubaix is even tougher...

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well done, Havre, Flanders is a tough gig for anyone, let alone if you've been sick.

Tried spinning yesterday. Wrist couldn't bear weight. Like, at all. All running for a while, I guess :(

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Thanks. By the way - anyone with the chance to go - it is highly recommendable. Great experience. Even got pushed up one of the hills by a spectator. Up the Muur it almost felt like a real/professional race - quite a lot of people watching.

Anyone know if they do something similar for TdF stages? Would love cycle one of them.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Oh. La Marmotte looks fantastic. Have you done it?

My dream would be to go up something like L'Alpe d'Huez before the pros on the same day.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yes, three times :) It's an absolutely amazing experience. Beginning the Alpe D'Huez in the afternoon sun, with 160 k and 4k climbing on the books... you'll get to re-visit some old demons and consider whether that shady spot is a good place to die, but TFW you cross the line is... Epic.

Going for something different this year, so headed to the Pyrenées, to do the Marmotte race there. It's new-ish, but challenging :)

LOOK MARMOTTE GRANFONDO SERIES

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Brilliant. I said before the Tour of Flanders that I wasn't concerned about the cobblestones. Tempted to say heat doesn't bother me, but learning from experience I won't say that. Being around 100kg won't make that climb any easier of course.

Have you managed to get the gold diploma?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not good. You are clearly a better cyclist than me and I was hoping gold was within reach. Silver it is then :D

Going to replace my groupset by the end of this season. Calculating what would be the best gearing setup for me now. Leaning towards 50/34 - 29/12. Would love a heavier gear for the downhills, but that would be absolutely perfect for flat and uphill.

Also planning to get new wheels. Which means I would like disc brakes, but right now that makes things a lot more expensive. Would hate to get rim brakes right before disc brakes become standard, but....

Then I just need to find a place to get the stuff. Most likely I'll go for the Campagnolo Chorus - not always that easy to find with the right configuration.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
You're a heavier rider, and with the 12-speed groups coming out from Campag, I'd definitely go with an 11-32 on the back. That granny gear / disc wheel / whatever-you-want-to-call-it is a godsend on some climbs.

They have the Potenza out, which ought to land around Ultegra in price, weight, and functionality.

I have no idea on how fast they'll release the 12-speed gruppos. And even with the 11-speed, I'd prolly go with 11-32, if I were you.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I'm not so worried with 34 - 29. Not perfect for the end of L'Alpe d'Huez, but that I can live with. With 12-29 you got a lot to choose from around 15-16-17 teeth which would be the gears I would be using at around 35km/h (quite typical speed when I'm riding alone). I got half a year to think about it a bit more though :laugh:

Would love the 12 speed, but right now that is just for Super Record and Record. I can also imagine it will come with a price premium. Kind of hoping it would make it easier to find good deals on 11-speed Chorus.

11-32 I don't like the gaps. Difficult to get smooth transitions from 33 to 40km/h. Impossible with fairly stable cadence. 12-32 on a 12 speed would probably be the perfect setup for me.

I have wondered going 52/36 with a 32 on the back, but 50 - 29 is easier than 52-32 so.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
My first ride outdoors in Norway this season earlier tonight. %$$#" cold. And after having had a cold before the Tour of Flanders and still having one from after my body felt like #$%$"". Depressing, but feels like the cold is finally reaching its final stages.

Also - riding on cobble stones in Norway - definitely not the same as in Belgium. Haha.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
How long is your commute? I go 7k basically across the city on my MTB. Then the temperature is rarely a problem. Speed is low and easier to dress a bit warmer.

It works during the middle of the day - just not in the evening (at least not here - even worse the other day when it was quite windy as well). Just came back from a short ride (1h10min) and the temperature was no problem. Had on a bit more clothes compared to the previous ride and a bit of sun helped of course. Looks like you got more or less the same temperature in Copenhagen these days.

Fitted a cadence sensor on my bike yesterday. I´m no expert cyclist, but when I started out I was typical old school going with the heavy gears, then I learned about cadence. Slowly I have focused more and more on high cadence - not really knowing what cadence I was typically running at. Based on spinning classes etc. I figured about 85-90 would be my typical RPM. Happy to see on the flat I´m 90+ - often between 95-100 without trying to go higher than what feels natural to me. However, climbing I for some reason quickly drop down to 70-75. I have no idea why, but certainly something to work on.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Just over 14 km, split into 5 km of open road, 4 km through the center of Copenhagen, and then 5 km of mixed. Usually takes half an hour.

I just got a used 4iii power meter for the commuter/training bike. That'll do both cadence and power (one-sided). I haven't worked with my cadence, but we'll see what the coach says, once we begin bike training.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
@The Imp what's your commuter bike? I still need to get one. I tried to find somewhere in the office they were cool with me stashing my race bike at, but got some push-back so just let it be.

Buying a mountain bike next week. Then can focus on what to get/do for a commuter bike. May have to go super cheap. For the time being I'll use the mountain bike because it's so flat. I just hate the idea of riding home, and then swapping bikes, to then go for a training ride.

Picking this guy up in the next 5-6 days. :yo:

Fathom-2-Color-A-Gray.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->