Cycling

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
90kg wouldn't mean I couldn't lift weights, but it is quite boring considering I would be even weaker than I am now. I don't miss being around 120 in general, but for lifting heavy weights those 20kgs make an enormous difference. Much more fun to play floor ball, cycling, kite surfing etc. at 100 though.

I've only been cycling races for 2 years. Maybe I get hooked properly at some point - don't know. I'm not really made for long distance stuff physically, but I do still enjoy it. Did triathlons earlier and I kind of want to finish an Ironman at some point - not sure. I guess it depends on how far this midlife crisis goes :laugh: Until then I'll rather stay slightly larger than what would be optimal for cycling/ironman purposes.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Last ride of the year today. Well short of my yearly goal, but still a good year nonetheless.

5831 total miles
114/week
16/day
250,000 feet of climbing

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
- 386 hours
- 4,500 miles
- 300,000' climbing

Around 35% of those hours (and more than 50% of the mileage) were indoor on the trainer where I get credit for 0 climbing feet. Almost all of the outdoor work was MTB. Definitely my strongest year of riding. Hope to build off of it and be even stronger this year. Of course I'm starting in the hole after getting sick a day before arriving back home from vacation, sigh.

Reactions: RayP

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Nice, @UnrealMachine . I didn't get my trainer till around May... and put about 2300 miles on it (which were included in the totals above, elevation gain as well since I used Zwift).

Goal is 10,000 miles in 2018. I'll probably average close to 9 hours of riding a week to start January, and it's only going to go up from there till July. After July is where it will get tough because I won't have any races to specifically train for, but will hopefully at least have a few months of great weather and scenery to ride in out here. The big 3 things I'll be training specifically for will be a March camp that is back to back 120 mile ride days. St. George 70.3 in May, 140.6 in Whistler at the end of July.

The kinda core bike schedule will looking something like....

75-90 minute hill day - Tuesday/Thursday
75-90 minute interval day Tuesday/Thursday
60-75 minute recovery spin - Friday
2-6 hour aerobic day - Saturday
60-75 minute recovery spin - Sunday

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
So in the annual tri-club Christmas bingo (yes, bingo...), I won the top prize - a personal coach for the 2018 season. Whoa.

I had my first phone meeting with him last night, we talked injuries, 2018 goals, training habits, etc. All set up for a massive progression, and some structured training (I've basically always just done volume).

He's a former member of my club, and I've ridden many rides with him. We get along very well, so it'll be interesting to see what it might yield :)

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
So in the annual tri-club Christmas bingo (yes, bingo...), I won the top prize - a personal coach for the 2018 season. Whoa.

I had my first phone meeting with him last night, we talked injuries, 2018 goals, training habits, etc. All set up for a massive progression, and some structured training (I've basically always just done volume).

He's a former member of my club, and I've ridden many rides with him. We get along very well, so it'll be interesting to see what it might yield :)

Awesome!

I hired a coach for my last Ironman. My plan was to use him for that to have a better experience and a PR... It was such an awesome experience that I’m still figuring out a way to make it work budget wise to keep him as my coach for Ironman Whistler. For me the biggest thing is having someone to hold me accountable more than the plans themselves.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
It's pretty exciting. If for no other reason that you always have someone to talk to and spar with, about training.

I had a spin class yesterday where I was really looking forward to getting his comments, and... the system didn't complete the session; didn't upload any telemetry... ffs.

That whole "if I collapse, pause my Garmin" thing? Yeah, I think I'm getting there. o_O

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
That part was huge with me at first too because I didn’t really have anyone else to talk to about training whether it be mine or theirs. My wife sure as hell doesn’t want to hear about it. :laugh:

You using TP with him?

LMAO yeah I’m totally there with the Garmin thing too.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yes, just getting it set up. I like how it can take info from Movescount as well as Garmin Connect, and that my coach can upload plans for me (we'll get to that, I'm just establishing a baseline). But yeah, just getting a hang of it.

Any tips?

No, not that immediately jumps to mind. I’d ask your coach to explain to you things like TSS that you’ll see on there and stuff along those lines. Beyond that though it’s pretty easy to get the hang of and really awesome. If anything comes to mind I’ll let you know.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I just put the trainer tire on my bike and the bike on the trainer. Cause, you know, there is 4feet of snow outside. Oh and its -25 celcius ;)

I figure I'll start on the weekend and try to do 3-4 hours a week to get a good jump on spring. Last season, I hardly biked at all so I'm hoping to get nuts this year :)

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Pretty big ride today.

70 miles
5100 feet of gain
17mph average speed
148 average HR

Including a 1700 foot climb over 5 miles that started at mile 40.

:yo:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Second straight week of 10,000+ feet of climbing. My 2018 mileage goals are probably going to come up short, but sure will be cool to see how much climbing I can get in this year. At 46,165 feet (14,071 meters) for the year already and I'm just getting started.

My go to routes that I've finally got dialed in on that have the least amount of interruptions are where I'm getting the bulk of it done, and it's still manageable enough that I can do a recovery day out there as well.

Today's ride..... man was it windy. Yesterday I could lightly pedal and hit around 40mph going downhill. Today on those same downhills into the wind I had to pedal just to stay north of 10mph and put out some decent effort to maintain those speeds.

marinoni1983

Feb 8, 2017
New horse in the stable.. Always wanted a Bianchi, finally found one at a decent price. Cant wait to ride it!!

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 13

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Cycling season starting late here this year. Still -15/20 degrees celsius outside. Ridiculous. Did 4 hours indoor cycling the other day as I got to get some hours in before the Tour of Flanders. 4 hours listening to music I don´t like is quite unbearable in itself :(

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Cycling season starting late here this year. Still -15/20 degrees celsius outside. Ridiculous. Did 4 hours indoor cycling the other day as I got to get some hours in before the Tour of Flanders. 4 hours listening to music I don´t like is quite unbearable in itself :(

Tell me about it. Tomorrow will be my 4th 4 hour indoor ride in the last 6 weeks. It’s awful.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Hey-hey, how about.... the rain and snow the forecast showed all week, well disappeared over night. Glad I checked the forecast one last time before getting on the trainer.

Got in about 71 miles and 6300 feet of climbing while averaging about 15.6mph. Wound up be a pretty nice day. HR averaged just a touch under 140.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
That is why I could never beat proper cyclists in a race - I just don´t have that level of commitment. And I will never (99% certainty) sign up for a race that early in the season again.

Looking forward to July/August though. Usually because I don´t do much (or any) cycling during the winter I won´t really get into decent cycling form before late summer. This year I should hit my late summer level right from the start of the season.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
That is why I could never beat proper cyclists in a race - I just don´t have that level of commitment. And I will never (99% certainty) sign up for a race that early in the season again.

Looking forward to July/August though. Usually because I don´t do much (or any) cycling during the winter I won´t really get into decent cycling form before late summer. This year I should hit my late summer level right from the start of the season.

Where abouts you at again?

The local tri club here in Salt Lake City did a Wahoo Kickr Lab from November-March. I signed up for that, was only like $50 for the generic plan. That really helped give me some off season structure. They also did group rides/races 2-3 times a week on Zwift, and Saturday long day rides together at a studio they rented some space at. Didn't join those, but every time they posted a pic they were packed with 20-30 people.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Norway.

Yeah. Got a bunch of similar offers here as well - even if most cyclists go cross country during the winter (even some of the professionals). For me the appeal is more the ride itself - which is good outdoors, but crap indoors. Obviously a bit tricky as outdoor rides are better when you are in better shape.

The dream would be to live in Southern Spain or Italy during the winter. Just got to find that employer first.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
My start to the offseason was like a dream and I was killing it for the first month, despite 3-straight months of racing that preceded it. Then I went on a 1-week vacation and arrived home sick for almost a week. Even though I would describe the illness as moderate at worst, it set me back big-time in training and I still find myself waivering between good and bad workouts 2 months later. Just very inconsistent on the bike, despite seeing improvements in all other aspects of training/fitness. Anyway, I've already decided I'm not going to do many races in the spring, and since the summer doesn't have many races locally, I'm just going to plan on racing hard and peaking in the fall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->