Cycling

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Congrats on getting a trainer. Truly a game changer. I use the Kinetic Rock n Roll Smart Trainer. They have a free app that measures power. Great for those good weather time periods of the year when you don't use it often to need a $10/month subscription, but still want to get a quality workout in that measures power. On those rides, I use the TrainerRoad prescribed FTP levels that I have on a spreadsheet. Over the winter months, Sufferfest app ftw.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Congrats on getting a trainer. Truly a game changer. I use the Kinetic Rock n Roll Smart Trainer. They have a free app that measures power. Great for those good weather time periods of the year when you don't use it often to need a $10/month subscription, but still want to get a quality workout in that measures power. On those rides, I use the TrainerRoad prescribed FTP levels that I have on a spreadsheet. Over the winter months, Sufferfest app ftw.

I ride with a guy who has that one, and he loves it. I just wanted some idiot proof, and am anticipating receiving a settlement from the car accident (or at least that's what the lawyer said) so treated myself a bit.

So far I've only used Zwift. Going to get through my next big race, at the end of July.... And my coach has already told me we'll part ways after that race, probably till next year, and we're going to get together and set up some plans to follow on TrainerRoad and Sufferfest during the off season. Really looking forward to it!

marinoni1983

Feb 8, 2017

Did 2 Ironman's with this thing last year, its an absolute beast. People that say tri bikes are not comfortable or have poor handling characteristics don't know what they're talking about...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Did 2 Ironman's with this thing last year, its an absolute beast. People that say tri bikes are not comfortable or have poor handling characteristics don't know what they're talking about...

Pic doesn't load..... Which Ironmans?

marinoni1983

Feb 8, 2017
Pic doesn't load..... Which Ironmans?

Damn! I followed buddy's instruction but I guess it didn't work... I did the Canadian Ironman in Whistler and the Mont Tremblant Ironman.. The cycling track was tougher in Whistler but the marathon was much tougher in Tremblant. I could of gone to Frankfurt but had to decide between that and Whistler, I chose Whistler it was a tad cheaper even though my boss was covering the airfare...

marinoni1983

Feb 8, 2017
Nice! I'm planning on doing the half in Whistler next year.

If you can get to Vancouver one week early and soak it all in do so, I really love Tremblant as well but something really special about Vancouver with the Canadian Rockies, it's just so fresh and beautiful..

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
If you can get to Vancouver one week early and soak it all in do so, I really love Tremblant as well but something really special about Vancouver with the Canadian Rockies, it's just so fresh and beautiful..

That's the plan. Moving to the Portland area in less than 2 months, so will definitely be making at the least a long weekend out of it. The only chance we don't do it, is if the wife begs to go to Coeur d'Alene instead, but I did the half their last year so that's why I want to do the Whistler half next year, and the Florida full in the fall. We just really, really loved CdA and want to go back, though. Can't imagine you can go wrong either way, though.

marinoni1983

Feb 8, 2017
That's the plan. Moving to the Portland area in less than 2 months, so will definitely be making at the least a long weekend out of it. The only chance we don't do it, is if the wife begs to go to Coeur d'Alene instead, but I did the half their last year so that's why I want to do the Whistler half next year, and the Florida full in the fall. We just really, really loved CdA and want to go back, though. Can't imagine you can go wrong either way, though.

I had some buddies go there last year for a golf trip and they said bar none one of the greatest golf trips they've done so far. Mentioned the area to the girlfriend as a possible holiday destination down the road..

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I had some buddies go there last year for a golf trip and they said bar none one of the greatest golf trips they've done so far. Mentioned the area to the girlfriend as a possible holiday destination down the road..

Highly recommend it. Can't wait to go back when it's just a "short" drive away, at least compared to Atlanta. :laugh:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Good luck! MTB race I take it?

Next race for me is a bike race out in Portland, on June 24th.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Not doing any races or anything lol, but biked about 20KM today. Haven't done that probably ever.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Thanks, all. I strongly considered withdrawing from the race after experiencing the conditions during the warm-up lap. EVERYTHING was either wet or muddy. I decided to go ahead with the race, but without trying to win or even place since I'm not really a strong technical rider and have a lower threshold of risk tolerance than most.

After falling behind in the short grass loop to start out, we entered the singletrack and the person in front of me immediately went over the handlebars on the first downhill. He was okay and I had just enough room to go around him. Stayed just behind the lead group on the flats and was riding their wheels on the first climb. Started passing people around 12 minutes in and caught the leader around the 20 minute mark, and he crashed shortly after that on a downhill switchback. Almost all of the climbs became unclimbable by bike at that point, so my biggest strength was eliminated. I had to use the flat sections as my only chance to maximize my power output. The downhills were brake, slide & pray scenarios.

During the 2nd lap I started to have serious issues with my rear cassette, as the mud was accumulating in the highest gears and causing the chain to skip. I was constantly having to change gear to find one with the least mud. That only got worse as the race went on, which made even smaller climbs unclimbable for me and reduced my ability to punch it on the flats. By lap 3 the trail conditions were even worse (50+ riders) and I was riding super conservatively to simply avoid crashing. Only had 1 crash, and it was more like a low-speed tipping over situation. Held on and won by 1:10. Lap times were: 28:45, 33:18 and 35:49. Hahahahaha! Got some cool actions shots from a pro photographer:

18814242_1470553252966447_7415525492520018648_n.jpg

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Cool!

Even though as a Norwegian I don't think the conditions look that bad :D

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Did my single biggest climb last weekend, while riding out on the Blue Ridge Parkway starting from Asheville, NC.

The first almost 2 hours of the ride straight up to the top of the mountain, about 3500 feet (~1060 meters). Never overly difficult at any point, and according to Strava averaged 3% from bottom to top. Took about 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Couldn't have asked for a better day. Ended up doing about 80 miles on the day, and a total of 7200 feet of climbing.

f5Uw_yXCC5GrCBSXJYasexGSfrcgNVA-mDsfOOHniRM-2048x1152.jpg

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Nice one. What bike is that? Looks sorta like a Giant Propel...

Kronborg 70.3 on Sunday, then we're off to the Alps on Saturday the 24th :D La Marmotte goes on July 2nd this year.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah, Propel. Here is a better pic. Love this bike. Just fits me so perfect. As opposed to my Cannondale SuperSix that is just an awful bike for me, but didn't know at the time because it was my first bike.

image_159.jpeg

Nice! Good luck buddy! :cheers:

Next race for me is a bike race in Portland, Oregon.... 10 days from today. Although only reason I'm doing that is because we'll just happen to be there that weekend, and I have a long training day scheduled anyway. Only like $100 to signup too.

And then Ironman Santa Rosa, which is only 40 something days away.... :scared:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Why Gatorskin on such a bike? Only for training?

That was when I was commuting to work on that bike, but I don't anymore. My work commute would go through downtown Atlanta, and there was always a ton of glass on the road, not to mention just a ton of other ****.

I now have Conti GP 4000s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->