Cycling

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
You can certainly get a great workout using any trainer and workout video. Without active feedback though, you are limited to your own perception of how hard you are working. Even a low-cost speed sensor would make a huge difference.

A fluid trainer offers massive benefits over a magnetic trainer. Mag trainers have a linear power curve, which doesn't correlate with the exponential power curve one experiences in the real world. On top of that, unlike the real world, there is very little momentum you can carry on a mag trainer. Once you stop pedaling, the wheel comes to a very abrupt stop. In the real world you can coast for a few seconds and lose only a percentage of your kinetic energy in the wheel.

A real power meter is very expensive, but there are programs out there that have the measured power curve of a specific trainer built into the program. The program just needs to know the speed of the wheel and can translate that into "virtual power". The trainer I have came with a sensor and their own program, so the "virtual power" that it shows is very, very close to the actual power that I use. While the accuracy isn't necessarily the most important thing, since they support their own program, I don't have to pay $10/month for a 3rd party program that reads virtual power. Then again, Sufferfest has basically gone app only and most of the videos are available only with a subscription. I would definitely do that if I didn't have a trainer with its own free app and already own over half of their library (before they essentially went app-only).

In summary:
1. Kurt Kinetic "smart trainer", so you have an excellent trainer with a lifetime warranty and an app to avoid the $10/month charge. I personally like the Rock n Roll version, but the road machine would be fine.
2. If you don't already own a lot of Sufferfest videos, any "smart trainer" with the $10/month Sufferfest app.
3. Do both. Next winter I may subscribe for a few months to get access to workouts I haven't done yet. Over the summer, when I only use my trainer on bad weather days, I can use the free Kinetic app and whatever videos I already own.

You're right on the first part. Its hard to tell how hard you are REALLY working .. when its just your own perceived exertion.

I'd LOVE to go down this road but if I tried to spend $700 on a trainer, the fiance would beat me down haha

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
You're right on the first part. Its hard to tell how hard you are REALLY working .. when its just your own perceived exertion.

I'd LOVE to go down this road but if I tried to spend $700 on a trainer, the fiance would beat me down haha

I hear ya. For what it's worth, you can get a KK Road Machine with Smart InRide for around $350. Also check Craigslist for used ones with or without sensor. You can buy the InRide sensor $50 and maybe only spend around $200 total?

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I hear ya. For what it's worth, you can get a KK Road Machine with Smart InRide for around $350. Also check Craigslist for used ones with or without sensor. You can buy the InRide sensor $50 and maybe only spend around $200 total?

Id likely have to go into the USA to get it. I just looked in my area. I only see 4 kurt's .. and they are all $350 and up. Doh.

Its definitely something I want to do. But for now ... I'll just assume Im breaking my balls ;)

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Didn't even know there was a cycling thread...

As far as trainers, not a fan. Mostly because a dedicated spin bike is better in everywhere. Not to mention they're extremely hard on bikes over time.

Anyway, pretty avid cyclist. Own many bikes across genres. Two of my favorites below.

30665690125_9bb748d5dd_c.jpg

25725319371_7f18cb7540_c.jpg

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Bought myself a bike at the end of November. We ended up having a lot more snow this winter than usual so have only gone for a few rides. Can't wait to spring comes, and really take advantage of the weather and my area. A little far to work, but hey maybe one day!

Went for a more comfort/casual bike with the Specialized Expedition.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Been biking for half a year straight, took the winter off. But now that the weather has been nice I'm trying to do two sets of 15 minutes. Once in the morning/afternoon and the other about an hour before bed. Trying to get my legs strengthened for hockey season in the spring. Because I've been eating bad and neglecting my cardio for the past 3 months or so..

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
How the hell do you upload pics to the forums from the cellphone?

I would love to upload a pic of my ride. It's awesome and I'm super proud of it :)

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Man my legs feel great at the moment. Bout damn time. My commute is about 10 miles each way, and round trip has about 1500 feet of climbing. Finally have it dialed in to where I can make that ride, and it not ruin my run later that day. Been trying to master that for a while now, and think I finally got it down.

How the hell do you upload pics to the forums from the cellphone?

I would love to upload a pic of my ride. It's awesome and I'm super proud of it :)

Right click the image, select "copy image address" and then hover over the thing in the reply box that says "insert image" and paste that link there.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Finally got out for my first ride of the season, 31km, all flat, in about 1:20. Head winds from what seemed to be coming in every direction. Hoping to get out again this week, but it's going to dependent on the weather. Worst case scenario we'll take the mountain bikes out. Legs felt fine, just need to get the butt used to sitting on the seat again.

Signed up for a 100km road ride at the beginning of May, so between whatever road rides we can fit in, spinning and throwing my bike on the trainer, I should be ready.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Finally got out for my first ride of the season, 31km, all flat, in about 1:20. Head winds from what seemed to be coming in every direction. Hoping to get out again this week, but it's going to dependent on the weather. Worst case scenario we'll take the mountain bikes out. Legs felt fine, just need to get the butt used to sitting on the seat again.

Signed up for a 100km road ride at the beginning of May, so between whatever road rides we can fit in, spinning and throwing my bike on the trainer, I should be ready.

Where the hell in Vancouver to you find 31km of completely flat road/trail?

I got home today and was such a beauty afternoon I had to take the bike out, just kind of explored the area around my place. Probably totaled less than 10km of biking and stopped here and there, but it was just nice to get out.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
100+ mile ride yesterday, 3rd 100+ mile ride of the year, and have quite a few more going forward between now and July. Want to set a goal for how many to do for the year, but not sure what I want to set that number at just yet.

Went out for a ride yesterday with another guy who isn't as strong as I am on the bike. We still averaged 17mph for the day, and about 4300 feet of climbing for the day... and when we were done, legs really didn't even feel that fatigued at all. Nothing better than seeing all that hard work paying off.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
This has by far been my biggest month of cycling, ever. Yesterday was my 4th 100+ mile ride, and I've been doing a nice amount of climbing all month... at least by my standards. 645 miles after yesterday, and 32,000+ feet of climbing so far. And should be able to hit 40,000 for the month after next week, and maybe 800 miles for the month.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Always been a fear in the back of my mind, given how many miles I log on the roads.... but it finally happened. Was hit by a car yesterday. :(

Nothing broken on me or the bike, that I can tell. Did go to ER and had them check me out, and I'm fine. Going to take bike to bike shop today and have them give it a more thorough lookover than what I'm capable of doing myself.

I was going north in a bike lane, she was going south waiting to turn left. She couldn't see if it was clear to turn or not, so just went ahead and turned. She THEN saw me. Slammed on the brakes, came to a complete stop right in the middle of the bike lane. I was going a solid 22-25mph, but was only a foot or two away from car by the time I could even hit the brakes. Smashed right into her, head on, and flew over her windshield.

Pain is not really my issue now, but rather my wife hated the fact I rode on the roads to begin with... And that was with me never really having come across any issues in doing so, minus one time getting bit by a dog way out in the country. I've been averaging almost 200 miles a week in commuting, pleasure, and training rides.... And now she's going to want me to not hit the roads at all, and I can understand that. Especially given that Atlanta is an extremely unfriendly city for cyclists, and that this happened in a freakin bike lane.

Whole situation just sucks.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Awful stuff, glad to hear you are okay. Yeah, I rarely ride on the roads due to these reasons: you can do everything right and are still at the mercy of the most idiotic drivers. Not worth the risk. At least if I crash offroad I have only myself (or idiot hikers with illegally unleashed dogs) to blame.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah, this just sucks all around. I guess an indoor trainer is no inevitable. For the time being I'll use the ones at the coaching firm I hired, until I get my own. Which sucks, but whatever... So frustrating. Nicest time of the year to ride, and I'm doing whatever I can to not ride outside. ****ing pisses me off. :madfire:

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
That's horrible, Ray. Hope that you're ok, m8. I say you keep riding the roads. Wind and varying inclines... you can't simulate that. You just can't. Maybe ride less alone - find some buddies. That ought to make it more safe. Ought to.

I had a slight issue the other day, coming down to a T intersection, turning left. I was going to cross the road and go left, and traffic was stopped due to a red light further down the street. So, I didn't click out, thinking I could ride through the cars waiting. That plan would have worked, except a commercial van decided to drive about 50 meters on the sidewalk/bikepath to get to the intersection I was in, to turn left. I got so flustered that I fell over, landing right on cobbles with my knee. Ouch.

So yeah, idiot drivers that wilfully or ignorantly don't obey the laws... Yeah...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I'll still ride outside, and on the roads.... but it will require me driving about 30-45 minutes one way to one of two routes, that cyclists have mapped out and are roads people in the area expect cyclists on. But where I had mostly ridden before was in the heart of Atlanta, where people don't often expect cyclists (even in bike lanes) and are pissed when they see them.

My routine as is has me riding 2 days during the week, and 1 or 2 days on the weekend. My weekend rides will no doubt be outside, unless weather is an issue. My weekday rides may require me going to the coaching studio and using one of their trainers, though.

Oof.... that sucks. Knee fine other than a bruise I take it?

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Riding Seattle to Portland in July, while it will probably be decent weather it's still Washington and Oregon, so I can't rule out rain completely. Wondering if I should purchase a smart box (would sit on the top tube and connect below the stem) to store rain gear in, if necessary, but don't want something that's going to add resistance. Worse case, I buy a thin shell to roll up and put in my jersey's big pocket.

Where the hell in Vancouver to you find 31km of completely flat road/trail?

Sorry, just saw this now. I'm in Pitt Meadows. Everything around the airport and up near the golf courses is all flat. Could probably bump it up to nearly 50km if I ride up to Swaneset and then over to Golden Ears Golf Club.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I bought a cheap Castelli rain "jacket" for like $20. You can bunch that them up real small. I'd just go that route, personally.... and if you're worried about warmth at any point, layer up otherwise.

As for me, 54 miles on the bike Saturday, and 120 today. :yo:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Bout an indoor trainer today. Real excited to start training a little more often with power. Got a Wahoo Kickr. :nod:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Bout an indoor trainer today. Real excited to start training a little more often with power. Got a Wahoo Kickr. :nod:

Cool. If you don´t mind me asking - how much did you pay?

I can´t really decide if it would be worth it for me or not.

Every season I don´t get fully going before the season is over. Just can´t stand spinning classes so I´m considering an indoor trainer so I don´t have to spend the first 3-4 months of the season just to get back into shape (for cycling).

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Cool. If you don´t mind me asking - how much did you pay?

I can´t really decide if it would be worth it for me or not.

Every season I don´t get fully going before the season is over. Just can´t stand spinning classes so I´m considering an indoor trainer so I don´t have to spend the first 3-4 months of the season just to get back into shape (for cycling).

I bought it directly from Wahoo, so it was like $1200 I think, plus tax.

I'd still rather be outside, but it's already come in handy and I'm loving having it. Also nice to train with power for a change.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Thanks. I do like the Kickr. About 1450 incl. tax here. Not a massive difference. I was hoping there was a way to get them cheaper (less and less likely these days when anyone can just look up what things are sold for basically anywhere).

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Someone suggested a refurbished one to me, but given I had no prior experience with a trainer I just didn't want to go down that road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad