CXLVIII - NHL BOG approves sale and relocation of Coyotes to Ryan Smith, league announces establishment of franchise in Utah

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
You also can’t ignore what’s coming from the outside.

One of the unique things about pro sports teams is their ability to draw in business from outside the market. Those people aren’t going to just go spend it elsewhere in that same market if there’s no reason to go there in the first place.
Exactly. There simply isn't the data to track how much money is spent by people who were in town for a game. OR the eventual impact those people have on the area. Like I started going to Cleveland for Browns games and eventually moved there after taking a liking to the area. I never would have discovered the area if not for football. Conversely, there were some job opportunities I didn't bother pursuing because of the lack of pro-sports in certain cities. Is that the norm? No. Am I alone in that? No again. There is no way to quantify that.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Arizona
Exactly. There simply isn't the data to track how much money is spent by people who were in town for a game. OR the eventual impact those people have on the area.

Applied Economics had a pretty good handle when they produced the report for Glendale.

1000000442.png

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

That's interesting.

I've mentioned the Jets 1.0 final season of 95-96 before. It was announced before the start of the season the team would move, and as a result they drew flies for most of the year. But right at the end attendance picked up to sellouts, and that final playoff series was just electric.

Sounds like lots of people want a part of the final (for now?) Coyotes game.

At least Arizona gets this - Atlanta wasn't annoucned till much mater, long after the team played its last game.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Arizona

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
This is a pretty hilarious quote.

For sure this is the worst kept secret ever.
They're moving to Saskatoon.

The team name will be Nordiques.

Team colours will be (in order) Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet.

The club will be sponsored by Ashley Madison.

They've signed Matthew Miller.

Theoren Fleury will be director of public relations.

The City of Saskatoon and the City of Moose Jaw (for some reason) will combine resources for a 34,000-seat outdoor arena.

Not only will the boards feature digital ads, the digital ads will be played on the ice, and visible to the players.

• Haha
Reactions: TheOne

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
My takeaway from that article is: In AZ, Tim Tyers reports the Coyotes were averaging 11,046 fans entering last night's game against the Wild at America West Arena. Attendance is down 12-15% from last year.

This was the Coyotes 6th season in Arizona and they had made the playoffs 4 out of the previous 5 years. They should have pulled the plug right then and let them go to Portland
My point in bringing up Glendale is they did nothing to get fans to the game. The thing that really pissed me off was the lack of public transportation to and from games. Sure you could get to the games on public transit but busses stopped running before the game was over. How can you expect to draw fans when you can’t even get this one thing right.

Last edited:

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
My point in bringing up Glendale is they did nothing to get fans to the game. The thing that really pissed me off was the lack of public transportation to and from games. Sure you could get to the games on public transit but busses stopped running before the game was over. How can you expect to draw fans when you can’t even get this one thing right.
Seriously how hard would it have been to create a "party bus" system? It would have made games a big happening for people to attend instead of a slug in traffic. Knowing where your fanbase is, and accommodating for it was one of the missed opportunity that sank the whole Glendale idea.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Arizona
Seriously how hard would it have been to create a "party bus" system? It would have made games a big happening for people to attend instead of a slug in traffic. Knowing where your fanbase is, and accommodating for it was one of the missed opportunity that sank the whole Glendale idea.
I mean, I would go with the "actually spend money on players, scouting and development so you build a consistently competitive team" like the Panthers but that's just me.

No one had a problem driving to Glendale when they knew they were going to see a good game and not crappy 2-1 final score defensive Tippett/Tocchet hockey that relied on Mike Smith playing out of his mind.

Reactions: Llama19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad