Cuthbert to sue CBC in light of recent termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Good for him. Cuthbert is the class of the industry and he will have no trouble finding work (hopefully in a perfect world come back and broadcast Oilers games for Sportsnet). Its good to see him take a stand, and show them how bad of a mistake they have made. CBC is well-known for their inability to decipher the difference between good hockey people and their importance to the broadcast, i.e. CBC's decision to not re-sign Ron MacLean and then finally, due to public outcry, they decided to bring him back. If Hockey Night in Canada wasn't such an institution in this country, I wouldn't care if it went belly up. The people running the show at the CBC really need wake up before it does.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
ScottyBowman said:
What can he sue them for? People get fired or laid off everyday. Chris needs to move on.

Its called a severance package. Obviously, Cuthbert feels that by the CBC terminating him in the manner or reasoning that they did so, it was in breach of contract, hence the law suit.

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

ScottyBowman said:
What can he sue them for? People get fired or laid off everyday. Chris needs to move on.

Wow, I think this is the definition of ironic.

Cuthbert is pursuing all legal actions to GET HIS WORTH AS AN EMPLOYEE THROUGH SEVERANCE. You say to this, "move on".

Players are pursuing all legal actions to GET THEIR WORTH AS AN EMPLOYEE THROUGH SALARY. And this you support.

Maybe you're just a biased hypocritical big-market fool that Mr.T should beat up with his gold chains after teaching us the qualities of milk and staying in school.

The hypocrisy is astounding ... pick a side.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
ODC said:

Cuthbert is pursuing all legal actions to GET HIS WORTH AS AN EMPLOYEE THROUGH SEVERANCE. You say to this, "move on".

Players are pursuing all legal actions to GET THEIR WORTH AS AN EMPLOYEE THROUGH SALARY. And this you support.

Maybe you're just a biased hypocritical big-market fool that Mr.T should beat up with his gold chains after teaching us the qualities of milk and staying in school.

He got you there Scotty.. And try to actually read the article before you jump to your un-informed comments.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Scugs said:
He got you there Scotty.. And try to actually read the article before you jump to your un-informed comments.

Just iggy him. Thats what I and many many others in here have done.

YellHockey*

ScottyBowman said:

In Canada, people are entitled to severance if they are terminated without cause.

If an employee is not provided a reasonable amount of severance pay, they can sue the employer for it. Usually companies avoid this and pay out severance well above what the law requires.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
BlackRedGold said:
In Canada, people are entitled to severance if they are terminated without cause.

If an employee is not provided a reasonable amount of severance pay, they can sue the employer for it. Usually companies avoid this and pay out severance well above what the law requires.

It varies by province, but the labour code states a number of weeks entitlement per year of employment (NS is two weeks per year). However, if you sue (and most of the time the employee wins) the common law severance (again, in NS) is six weeks per year of employment. So most smart employers do pay the six weeks per year to avoid the costs of litigation.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
ODC said:

Ever thought about getting some help for your mental problems? Great job trying to pick a fight with someone because you disagree with their opinion on a different topic and then going out of your way to make a ridiculous comparison and bring up an irrelevant point. :lol

ScottyBowman said:
Ever thought about getting some help for your mental problems? Great job trying to pick a fight with someone because you disagree with their opinion on a different topic and then going out of your way to make a ridiculous comparison and bring up an irrelevant point. :lol

Hardly, the point was spot on, and he nailed it pretty well. Trying to laugh off your own hipocritical stance is a pretty transparent and lame response.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Back on topic, I hope Cuthbert gets what he deserves, the man is an amazing talent not only for Hockey Night in Canada but for Canadian sports in general, he was the voice of the Grey Cup, and he did commentary for damn near every Oylimpic Event Canada even had a shot at a medal in.

It doesn't make sense that he's fired but Healey will probably be on HNIC once the NHL resumes, and I know I'm not alone in hating Healey's colour work, Flames Fans were disgusted during last years playoffs I remember.

how he was let go was odd indeed, he heard second hand that he was fired, he never recieved a phone call or a letter or anything, that's just low.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
SSJTOM said:
It doesn't make sense that he's fired but Healey will probably be on HNIC once the NHL resumes, and I know I'm not alone in hating Healey's colour work, Flames Fans were disgusted during last years playoffs I remember.

how he was let go was odd indeed, he heard second hand that he was fired, he never recieved a phone call or a letter or anything, that's just low.

It is worth noting that the person to get fired in such situation, among other reasons, is the one with the fattest contract. Merit might be the least important factor. What I do not understand, is why wasn't he given the proper severance money? I mean, it's just stupid to choose to go to court and then pay the triple of what you should've paid in the first place(at least according to a previous poster).

Does it mean that CBC has some sort of legal argument to back it up? The only thing that I can think of is that he was hired on a fixed term contract basis several times during the 21 year tenure, but how can that make a difference? :dunno:

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, man. Go Chris go! Go get 'em!!!

LOL.

Cuthbert is persuing his claim through the rights accorded him in labour law. No doubt with the backing of the Canadian Media Guild, the union that represents him.

LOL.

Chris Cuthbert purportedly made more than NHLPA member Dave Lowry last year.

Chris Cuthbert is a working class hero.

Yay.

Go Chris!

Chilly Willy*

21yrs he better get what he deserves.

I'm hoping he goes to Sportsnet, they need someone that knows about hockey working there. Hopefully idiots like Kypreos and his leaf lapdog Watters are canned or shown less, Nick talks out of his ass soo much.

Cuthbert was a classy man at CBC, such a stupid move.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I'm really surprised at how many people enjoy Cuthbert's ''play by play''

I find his voice so annoying (high pitched)that I quite frankly wont miss him

Sammy*

"Elliott Kerr said the respected announcer, who was fired last month in what the CBC said were cost-cutting moves dictated by the NHL lockout, is owed more than the severance money stipulated in his employment contract."

Yeah, god forbid poor old Chris actually signed a written contract that he is now trying to weasel out of.
Big bad CBC, you should just not have contracts. People just try to weasel out of them anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

ResidentAlien*

it should also be noted that Cuthbert offered to go on Hiatus, taking mo more assignments(thus no pay) for the remainder of the lockout.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
What is there to sue with the CBC. I guess if they lost and had to give up a few million dollars, the network would be forced to cancel production of a few TV shows and stuff like that.

It is not like the CBC is a rich network with a lot of money. If they didn't get money every year from the Canadian government to fund the network, along with ad revenue from NHL hockey they would have gone bankrupt years ago. ( Right now they obviously aren't getting that ad revenue for hockey ).

He can sue the CBC if he wants but it is not like he is going up against a rich corporation.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
grego said:
What is there to sue with the CBC. I guess if they lost and had to give up a few million dollars, the network would be forced to cancel production of a few TV shows and stuff like that.

It is not like the CBC is a rich network with a lot of money. If they didn't get money every year from the Canadian government to fund the network, along with ad revenue from NHL hockey they would have gone bankrupt years ago. ( Right now they obviously aren't getting that ad revenue for hockey ).

He can sue the CBC if he wants but it is not like he is going up against a rich corporation.

What are you talking about? Thats Canada's station. They certainly arent poor.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Kerr would not elaborate other than to say there were other agreements involved. Sources say one of the issues is a guarantee that Cuthbert would succeed Bob Cole as lead Hockey Night In Canada announcer when the latter retired.
Interesting, although I think most of us figured that.

Also, he earned $325,000 per year. I didn't know it was that much :amazed:

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
19nazzy said:
Interesting, although I think most of us figured that.

Also, he earned $325,000 per year. I didn't know it was that much :amazed:

MacLean was making $400k a year when the Mothercorp tried to drop him. Chris's amount seems reasonable next to that as their #2 play-by-play guy.

Although it's stuff like this which is why I wish the CBC would lose hockey and leave it to the private networks, who I think would ultimately do a better job. CBC has so totally botched curling this year it just demonstrates they really should become more like PBS and stick to news (although they need to fix that as well) and things like documentaries and stay the hell away from sports.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Scugs said:
What are you talking about? Thats Canada's station. They certainly arent poor.

The CBC does not just take as much money from the federal government as they would like. The government decides how much money the CBC will get in funding each year, other then that the CBC is totally on it's own to figure out it's budget for the year.

If there was more money the CBC had to pay him, the feds would not have to take that out of the tax payers money. They could just tell the CBC to find the money themselves in their own budget.

The usual way for the CBC to save money, is to stop filming a few Canadian shows. So worst case scenario would be the disappearance of a few Canadian shows, that few people ever watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad