Rumor: Custance: Rangers interested in Rikard Grönborg?

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
It's really killing you that the Rangers FO are no longer focused on trying to win one for Hank isn't it?

I have been a New York Rangers fan for 30 years, and will continue to be a die-hard fan for as long as I am on this planet. My fandom reaches beyond any one player. Sorry to disappoint you.

If you think that by hiring Quinn means that the Rangers front office have given up on trying to win a cup while Lundqvist is here you're as dim as your post above.

As long as Henrik Lundqvist is playing for the New York Rangers, the front office, the team and himself are going to try as hard as they can to make the playoffs and win. That is the goal of the team every single year, and it will continue to be the goal.

The rebuild is real, but it doesn't mean the team is going to be an automatic bottom feeder for the next four years.

I seem to remember a lot of people saying the same thing about the Vegas Golden Knights before the season started...

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I have been a New York Rangers fan for 30 years, and will continue to be a die-hard fan for as long as I am on this planet. My fandom reaches beyond any one player. Sorry to disappoint you.

If you think that by hiring Quinn means that the Rangers front office have given up on trying to win a cup while Lundqvist is here you're as dim as your post above.

As long as Henrik Lundqvist is playing for the New York Rangers, the front office, the team and himself are going to try as hard as they can to make the playoffs and win. That is the goal of the team every single year, and it will continue to be the goal.

The rebuild is real, but it doesn't mean the team is going to be an automatic bottom feeder for the next four years.

I seem to remember a lot of people saying the same thing about the Vegas Golden Knights before the season started...

You realize that these 2 statements contradict each other right? If they were going to try as hard as they could to make the playoffs last season, they would have added at the deadline and kept AV/ hired a coach with loads of NHL experience.

Instead, they just sold off a big chunk of their team (with more to come) and hired a developmental coach with limited pro experience. I doubt they're ever going to be THE worst team in the league, but its clear that the FO is going to make moves independent of what Hank wants. We know this because they said this and they gave him an out (confirmed by JG and HL himself.)

If you thinking winning is their primary objective in the short term, you're in for a really, really rough 2018-19 season. Don't compare this team's situation to Vegas, no one is giving us a pair of 70 point players in exchange for a contract or to not poach another player. They're literally going to be a once in a lifetime type of story.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Don't compare this team's situation to Vegas, no one is giving us a pair of 70 point players in exchange for a contract or to not poach another player. They're literally going to be a once in a lifetime type of story.

Correction. This team will never be as lucky as VGK and have journeyman players somehow turn into 70 point guys overnight. In fact, the opposite (superstars coming here to die) will probably continue to be true.

Reactions: Stasis

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil

I like your optmism, but the odds are not in Hank's favor.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Correction. This team will never be as lucky as VGK and have journeyman players somehow turn into 70 point guys overnight. In fact, the opposite (superstars coming here to die) will probably continue to be true.

On the flip side, maybe a new coach will play the players that have earned their ice time and put less weight on the "veteran" label. Maybe we'll see our ~30-40 point guys like Hayes/Kreider/Buch become ~40-50 point guys with increased responsibility/the ability to have their ice time reflect good stretches of play.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
On the flip side, maybe a new coach will play the players that have earned their ice time and put less weight on the "veteran" label. Maybe we'll see our ~30-40 point guys like Hayes/Kreider/Buch become ~40-50 point guys with increased responsibility/the ability to have their ice time reflect good stretches of play.

Let us hope.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Those players are available. Just like they were available at the expansion draft. Who they are, I’m not sure.

The bigger problem is that it might be the same situation holding them back here as it is elsewhere. I’m not stating that Devin Shore in Dallas is that player, but let’s say for a moment he is. He’s been behind Seguin and Spezza and then Seguin and Faksa on the Stars depth chart. If the Rangers acquired him, his situation wouldn’t be any better. The Rangers have Zibanejad and Hayes. He won’t outperform them in camp and he won’t outperform them in practice. In essence, he won’t get the ice time by default that Karlsson did.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

emodwarf

Oct 12, 2009
Boston. Sucks.
stop yourself please. negotiating business deals is literally what I do for a living I know what negotiations are like im not a 18 year old kid looking for a raise at Subway

this is not that.

this guy didn't want the job. we went to him. he told everyone he didn't want the job. we went BACK to him offered more. still didn't want the job. went back and offered him even more and its still not finalized who knows why. now we're hearing he's not even our first choice.

He didn't want to leave BU. he has no real nhl experience and quite frankly hasn' t done much of anything at the college level or the pro level. yet he's dictating terms like he's Jack Parker coming to the NHL. he's done absolutely NOTHING at any level to be trying to bend the Rangers over for a major contract which if we felt he was worth it in the first place we would have offered it to him. AV got 5 years 10 mil because he was AV he earned that. wasn't hard to get that one done. this guy thinks he's mike babcock.

When you negotiate these business deals, do you ever point to precedent for what you want?

AV got 5 years 10 mil after being FIRED by Vancouver. Two years after taking them to the Cup finals. And then showing he had no idea how to handle a rebuilding team. Most recently, AV was FIRED by the Rangers.

DQ got 5 years for a rumored 12.5 mil after being NOT FIRED by BU. Three years after taking them to the NCAA Final. And then building a reputation as a coach who develops young players. Most recently, DQ was HIRED AWAY by the Rangers.

I don’t know if David Quinn thinks he’s Mike Babcock, but he doesn’t seem like a Subway sandwich either.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Ok you want to talk precedent. AV just coached a team to a Cup Final tons of NHL W’s.

Quinn is checking guys for missing curfew before wrapping up weekend jamboree in New Hampshire.

How’s that for precedent of where this guys worth should be.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Ok you want to talk precedent. AV just coached a team to a Cup Final tons of NHL W’s.

Quinn is checking guys for missing curfew before wrapping up weekend jamboree in New Hampshire.

You want precedent? It's been mentioned before but here we go again.

Dave Hakstol, signed in 2015 at the age of 47 to a 5 year, 10m deal.
David Quinn, signed in 2018 at the age of 51 to a 5 year, 12m deal.

Accomplishments in the years leading up to their hiring.
Dave Hakstol: 11 seasons, WCHA Championship (4), Frozen Four (4), Final (1), National Championship (1)
David Quinn: 5 seasons, Hockey East Championship (2), Frozen 4 (2), Final (1) National Championship (1)

If there was ever precedent, it's Dave Hakstol. Quinn signs 3 years later and his salary is 20% higher. He's not overpaid.

To quote you:

I will add one more thing. Just because he doesn't have experience at NHL level, doesn't mean he should be paid less than others who do. I had 0 experience in my current job when I was offered the position. I negotiated for a higher salary and now I make more than my former manager back in Amsterdam, even though he has more experience "at this level". Is that unfair? Or is that me trying to get the most out of the negotiations?

Last edited:
Reactions: haveandare

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
sweet, let's draft a young Ovechkin! oh wait...

Nothing is a guarantee for success though. Teams tried to copy the Kings. Didn't work. Winning the Cup is 80% luck, 20% timing. Whichever team ends up with the fewest injuries, usually wins the Cup

Reactions: haveandare

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Nothing is a guarantee for success though. Teams tried to copy the Kings. Didn't work. Winning the Cup is 80% luck, 20% timing. Whichever team ends up with the fewest injuries, usually wins the Cup

Yeah, and its not always easy to figure out what to copy or not. I remember after Anaheim won. Anaheim won because they had a great -- mix -- of size and ability to play a puck possession game. Scott N and Pronger really pushed their possession, but their first line center was Andy McDonald who was fantastic at bridging the gap between a good defense and bigger PFs. However after the Cup win everyone talked about how winning the Cup was all about having size and toughness. And it was like Anaheim and Burke believed it themselves, they moved McDonald for cap reasons. Completely lost their balance. Did they even miss the POs after it? I don't remember, they sucked.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
13. As teams look to fill out their coaching staffs over the next few weeks, here are some names to watch:

• Rikard Gronborg, who led Sweden to gold at the World Championships, will have interest. He’s expressed a desire to move back to North America, where he played at NCAA St. Cloud State. Buffalo, Dallas and the Rangers all make sense as a possibility for him.

John Tavares getting full-court press from Islanders - Sportsnet.ca

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Did Quinn steal your girl in college or something? His doppelgänger did? You seem very upset by this man’s existence.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
There are rumors in Sweden too about interest from the NHL, two good articles to google translate:

And then he wants to fulfill his biggest dream: to become the first Swedish head coach in NHL.
"I think he would do well in NHL," says Nicklas Lidström, "He has been there for many years and has coached over there, and understands the thought of North American hockey. I have also read that he wants over eventually, and it is a clear advantage for a Swedish coach to know how it works over there."

With two straight World Cup gold, how attractive is he for NHL team?
"It certainly strengthens his shares, I clearly think so. The team he has coached has also included many NHL players. He understands how they think, and it's an advantage if you want to coach over there."

Därför kan Grönborg nobba förlängt kontrakt med Tre Kronor

"And the Swedish players believe in him as a future NHL coach.
"Compared to those in North America, he is much more positive. You can let go and play more. He really trusts that you can handle it. It is very fun to play for him, "says Hampus Lindholm, "It would have been fun if he came over. I think that's the new way to coach."

He has promised his wife to return to the United States and if he is given the chance to join a coaching staff for an NHL team, even if it's an assistant coach to start with - yes, Gronborg may be lost for Swedish hockey."

”Jag tror han skulle klara sig bra i NHL”
få denna kalkon till new york

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
And I still think the Kings got helped by the refs to beat us.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan

That was an awfully long time ago.

What he JUST did was coach his way out of a job while stroking his own inflated ego.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad