Curving sticks? any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
I've built up a fair collection of sticks through deals, gifts, and grabbing ones that people just find collecting dust in their garages, but i've broke a few this year and i'm starting to run low on good ones. I've got a couple that are nice weights and hights, but have odd or very little curve of the blade, so i'm wondering if there's a way i can adjust the curve on my own from home to suit me a little better.

Anyone here every try that? is it even possible?

Anthony*

as long as theyre wood yea

just put it over an open flame so it gets hot enough, but make sure not to burn it

and then just curve it however you like

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
Never try to curve a composite blade, (re)heating the the blade will cause the foam core to crumble and make the rest of the blade very brittle, i'd be surprised if it lasted more than 5 minutes before breaking.

I've got a mini blow torch that I use to curve my wood blades, it works well but takes kind of long to heat up. Once it's heated up, just wedge the blade under a closed door and have at it. Putting the blade in a vice also works well as long as the two sides have a little padding, but be sure you don't crank it down hard.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Accord said:
Never try to curve a composite blade, (re)heating the the blade will cause the foam core to crumble and make the rest of the blade very brittle, i'd be surprised if it lasted more than 5 minutes before breaking.

I've got a mini blow torch that I use to curve my wood blades, it works well but takes kind of long to heat up. Once it's heated up, just wedge the blade under a closed door and have at it. Putting the blade in a vice also works well as long as the two sides have a little padding, but be sure you don't crank it down hard.

these are both wood sticks of course....

blow torch eh? I'll see if my dad's got one aroudn the house. He's got a vise too I can use...

If i use a torch, how far away should the flame be from the blade? How long should it be on the blade at that closeness?

does boiling water do anything at all? That seems to stick in my mind for some reason.....

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
Injektilo said:
these are both wood sticks of course....

blow torch eh? I'll see if my dad's got one aroudn the house. He's got a vise too I can use...

If i use a torch, how far away should the flame be from the blade? How long should it be on the blade at that closeness?

does boiling water do anything at all? That seems to stick in my mind for some reason.....

I can't tell you how far away the flame should be because that will depend on the type of blow torch you own and the size of the nozzle and flame that it emits. I'd be very conservative and start holding it 6-8 inches from the blade and if it doesn't get hot enough just keep going closer and closer. Also, never hold the flame in one place for more than a second or two, always be moving it around to spread the heat over the entire surface of where you want to curve it.

I've never tried boiling it before so i'm not sure what effects that would have.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I usualy heat them up with a torch or heat gun and then I put them in a vice and make sure not to crack it. I've curved almost all of my sticks that way and it's a pretty safe way of doing it. You simply have to make sure that you don't heat it too much because it won't last long on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->