Cups top 120 for 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Good Flying Bird*

King'sPawn said:
Thanks for taking the time to do this list, Cup. It's only a shame when people can't give CONSTRUCTIVE criticisms.

People can. People did.
What's your gripe?

Old Hickory

I think KP is talking about criticism without personal attacks

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
To answer a few posted questions/comments:

Rabid Ranger said:
I don't think Jack Johnson needs to work on his skating at all.

When he went up against NHL players Dec. 2nd (USNDT Vs. Pros) I noticed he was betten to the puck allot when it went to the corners. I wasn’t saing his skating was awful just needs to be a little faster for going up against NHL pros if he wants to be an elite NHL defenseman. Not bad if that’s all that this kid needs to work on. But that’s just my opinion.

X-SHARKIE said:
I noticed you have Lawrence at 42nd, pretty much where I would have him, IMO he's a big wildcard and could have as much upside as anyone in the 2nd round. What's your take on him?

I see Lawrence as first round potential with size and skill but attitude/desire is still holding him back. He could be a solid NHLer or a complete wash. The best description is a wildcard. Next year should be a telling tale. I would like to see him go into high traffic areas and get his hands dirty a little more often. He’s too much a perimeter player for a guy with his size.

X-SHARKIE said:
And what makes Istomin so special? I saw that kid at the U-18 and left me utterly unimpressed, no heart, no courage. I rather have Ilya Zubov play on my team.

Was it just a bad tournament?

Istomin plays a more spirited game than Zubov on a regular basis with their club teams, so I’ve heard. Size and still growing is also another reason I ranked him so high. He may not be as highly touted as other Russian prospects(Zubov), however, he has immense potential as a goal scorer. He is very far down the development ladder to which he can climb right now, should stay in Russia for another 3-4 years. I believe he had a bad tourney for RUS at the WU18 as did a handful of other 2005 eligible Russian Prospects.

The respect is mutual X. :)

Camden said:
First time I have seen Ondrej Otcenas, Chris Vande Velde, and Jonathan Matsumoto that high. What do you figure these guys potentials are?

All three are longer term prospects who could have some good upside.

Matsumoto is the farthest along in his development but also has the least chance out of these three in making an impact at the NHL level. His skating and size are a bit of a concern to me.

Vande Velde is a wildcard prospect who in limited viewing has really impressed me. If he plays the same way all the time, and continues his development, He should have no problem working his way into an NHL organization on day.

Otcenas is an unknown to me as I have never seen him play. I do have a source I trust who is extremely high on him. Comparisons to Havlat have been thrown around although I will believe it when I see it. However, with information about his game and his high potential were enough for me to give him a 3rd round ranking.

TopGun12 said:
I was very surprised that Brodie Dupont didn't make the list. He had a slow start but he finished very strong, and in the playoffs i thought he was probably the third best forward for Calgary other than Getzlaf and Ladd.

Dupont would be a fifth to sixth rounder IMHO. I agree with your comment on his second half and playoffs, however, I do not think He has the skill level to make it past the minor pro level.

BobMarleyNYR said:
If you see Bourdon as a 3rd-5th d-man, why is he 11th?

A safe pick. Not a lot of draft prospects are labeled as sure fire out of the top 5-6 picks but Bourdon will definitely make an impact as a 3rd or 4th defenseman in the NHL one day. He has all the raw tools already in place, He just needs time to refine them. Hope that answered your question Bob.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Makes sense... personally, I might only put him lower because I'm more fond of high risk/high upside... I still have Kindl 12th. Staal is prett2y safe also, no? Not big on either. At least not for NY. If we take a d-man, I'd only consider Johnson and Kindl in the first, Vojta, Jackson, Korhonen, McQuaid or Lee early 2nd.

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
BobMarleyNYR said:
Makes sense... personally, I might only put him lower because I'm more fond of high risk/high upside... I still have Kindl 12th. Staal is prett2y safe also, no? Not big on either. At least not for NY. If we take a d-man, I'd only consider Johnson and Kindl in the first, Vojta, Jackson, Korhonen, McQuaid or Lee early 2nd.

Staal has a good upside, but, when I see Staal play I can't help but think Cory Cross sometimes. Their games aren't exactly alike but that is who comes to my mind. :dunno:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
kingsjohn said:
I think KP is talking about criticism without personal attacks

Yes, thanks. I wasn't talking about everyone; I just thought a remark or two were out of line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad