Cups top 120 for 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Here is my 2005 top 120 list. Now, this is a ranking list not a mock draft list. I would have loved to do a mock 120 but not knowing were each NHL team picks was a problem. I know it may be a little heavy with North American Prospects, but, there are two reason behind this. One is because this really is an off year for the European talent pool and because most of my European Prospect info is from seeing these kids in tournament play only or second hand reports from those who see them on a regular basis. Anyway hope you enjoy.

1. F Sidney Crosby QMJHL 5-11 193
Consensus no. 1 pick has all the tools to become a Sakic/Yzerman type player with added grit. Honestly, Sid the Kid is a bit overhyped as the second coming and all. He will be a cornerstone of the franchise who selects him for years to come. He does everything exceptionally well. We’ll see him in the NHL when the next season is played.

2. D Jack Johnson USNTDP 6-1 201
Best all-round defenseman in 2005 has all the tools to be a legit no. 1 d-man in the NHL. His game reminds me of Ed Jovanovski a bit. Needs to work on his foot speed to get to the NHL level. He will need lots of ice time with Michigan next year to continue developing.

3. F Gilbert Brule WHL 5-10 185
Solid PF type prospect that plays bigger than his size. Compare to Mike Peca at the NHL level with a bit less defensive awareness and a little more offense.

4. F Bobby Ryan OHL 6-2 223
Big winger who knows where the net is. Needs to work on foot speed before he can play at the next level. Has a similar game to Philadelphia’s Michal Handzus with more physical play. Could develop into a Bertuzzi type PF it physical attitude changes.

5. F Benoit Pouliot OHL 6-3 190
Slick skilled forward who plays a game similar to Colorado’s Alex Tanguay. Older than most his draft peers, has one of the highest potential levels in the whole draft.

6. F Jack Skille USA 6-1 198
Big and getting bigger Power Forward type. Needs to work on speed and defensive game. Should be a big development year next year at Wisconsin were he will be the go to guy as a freshman.

7. F Anze Kopitar EUR 6-2 205
Game breaker. Big kid playing in the SJL should either advance to the SEL or make the move to the CHL next season to continue development or possibly directly to NHL. Played against Men in World Cup and handled himself just fine.

8. F Guillaume Latendresse QMJHL 6-2 218
Inconsistency is the only reason he is not a top 5 pick. This mammoth plays with an edge, throwing big hits and scoring big goals then disappearing at times. He could develop into an NHL all-star PF or another Brad Isbister.

9. F Ryan O'Marra OHL 6-2 195
I like this kid allot. Very mature for his age, future captain material. He reminds me a lot of Rod Brind’Amour. Does everything well. Needs a few years of development yet, but should be a safe pick.

10. G Tukka Rask FIN 6-1 175
Another fine Fin goaltending prospect. Rask possesses Quick reflexes and strong positioning. Held his team in most tournaments he played in. I doubt he will be a superstar at the NHL level but a very capable starter. Rask is a few years away from NHL duty.

11. D Luc Bourdon QMJHL 6-2 202
Chris Phillips, when I watch Bourdon I can help but see a little of Chris Phillips albeit maybe a poor mans version. I see a very serviceable NHL 3rd-5th two-way defenseman for years.

12. F Niklas Berfgors SWE 5-11 192
The best comparison for Niklas is fellow countryman Henrik Zetterberg. Skates well, shots well and will score often at the NHL level. Size and durability are the only weaknesses I can see in his game.

13. F Ryan Stoa USA 6-3 198
I’ll be honest, I didn’t really notice Stoa a whole lot when I watched him play this year. Great passer and deceptive speed for a large kid. Will be interesting to see more of him at Minnesota although he could get reduced ice time with Kessel and Wheeler debuting next year as well. Should be celebrating an NCAA championship next year.

14. D Marc Staal OHL 6-4 197
All reports you have heard about Staal are true. Nothing fancy with his game but nothing wrong with his game either. Top 4 stay at home NHL defenseman. Safe pick.

15. F Kendal McArdle WHL 5-11 203
Tenacious. If I had to describe Kendal in one word that would be it. He is a waterbug checker with some scoring skill to boot. I could see him playing a shutdown role in the NHL and still adding 20 goals per year. Still needs allot of development time.

16. D Teemu Laakso FIN 6-0 187
Teemu is a bit of a wildcard first rounder just like Jakub Kindl will be. Both have the potential to be solid NHL defenseman. But Laakso is by far the safer pick.

17. D Jakub Kindl OHL 6-3 197
Mobility and offensive ability are the main traits he brings. Reminds me of Jiri Slegr. Makes too many defensive errors right now, will need to develop a few years and learn from mistakes. Potential is strong as a 4th offensive defenseman.

18. F Devin Setoguchi WHL 5-11 186
No doubt he can score but will his size de a down fall come draft day? I don’t think so. He will still grow and fill out his frame. Solid pick. I see him having 2nd line NHL potential.

19. F Alex Bourret QMJHL 5-10 210
Don’t let his height fool you. This kid can play the physical game with the big boys. He knocked Bobby Ryan out of the top prospects game with a thunderous check (albeit with a bit of a charge). Alex can also put the puck in the net but excels at being a playmaker.

20. D Ryan Parent OHL 6-2 192
Another safe defenseman pick. Parent will develop into an Adam Foot type defender with limited offence. You will not notice him in a game unless you look for him since he goes about his business quietly. He is a goaltenders dream.

21. G Carey Price WHL 6-3 204
He has great size and reflexes. Positioning is usually good but on some occasions he gets caught out of position. If develops correctly, Price could be the best goalie in the whole draft. Potential is sky high, perennial NHL all-star.

22. F Daniel Bertram NCAA 5-11 175
Bertram has all the tools to be a very good scoring line winger. He only issue is with his size and attitude. By attitude I mean he thinks he’s 6-4 220 lbs not 5-11 and 175 soaking wet. Question is if he will hold up in the NHL.

23. F Marek Zagrapan QMJHL 6-1 189
A very quick forward who knows where the net and his team mates are on the ice. He has the potential to be a first line player in the NHL. Must stop taking bad penalties and work on discipline.

24. D Brian Lee USHS 6-2 193
The numbers don’t lie. Very good highschool defenseman who needs to take his game to the next level. Disappointing WJC hurt his stock a bit but like I said his numbers were great and he has size. He needs a lot of time to develop, far from NHL ready. My projection is a offensive 3rd-4th NHL defenseman.

25. D Matt Lashoff OHL 6-2 207
Lashoff had a tuff year development wise. He made allot of errors defensively and they seemed to fluster him. He was hampered by injuries and illness as well as being inconsistent. He still had a great skating stride and lots of potential as a two-way NHL defenseman though.

26. F Chris Durrand WHL 6-1 190
This guy is along way from where he will end up on the development curve, both physically and talent wise. He has a great skating stride and does everything in high gear. Good defense, offensive flair and strong character are his trademarks.

27. F Slava Trukhno QMJHL 6-1 196
He has all the tools to be a first line NHL forward. He plays a finesse but yet a gritty game as well. Very fast skater who can stickhandle in a phone booth. Potential to be an NHL All-Star.

28. F Martin Hanzal CZE 6-3 189
Martin is a great stickhandler and skater who excels at the finesse game. Next year will say allot about where Hanzal’s game is going. He could end up being a poor mans Marian Hossa.

29. F Mikko Lehtonen FIN 6-4 205
A big, gritty and skilled Fin. Allot of teams in the NHL are looking for a big scoring winger these days. He needs to work on his foot speed and defensive zone coverage. My projection is a big second line NHL winger who can score.

30. D Scott Jackson WHL 6-4 207
A big tower of a defenseman, who plays a very defensive game. He is hard to beat one on one. Skating and strength are good and only getting better as Scott matures. Next year we should see Scott add an offensive touch to his game. Potential as an NHL defensive defenseman.

31. D Risto Korhonen FIN 6-3 218
32. G Alexander Vincent QMJHL 6-3 190
33. F Andrew Cogliano OPRJA 5-9 174
34. F James Neal OHL 6-3 186
35. F Patrick Davis OHL 6-2 191
36. F Denis Istomin RUS 6-0 190
37. F Dan Collins OHL 6-2 194
38. D Brendan Mikkelson WHL 6-2 180
39. F Michael Blunden OHL 6-4 217
40. D Adam McQuaid OHL 6-4 197
41. F Tom Fritsche USA 5-11 188
42. F Chris Lawrence OHL 6-4 197
43. D Tomas Kudelka CZE 6-1 180
44. F T.J. Hensick NCAA 5-10 179
45. G Jeff Frazee USA 6-0 182
46. D Vjateslav Buravchikov RUS 6-0 196
47. D Sasha Pokulok ECAC 6-5 220
48. G J.P. Levasseur QMJHL 6-1 185
49. F Daniel Ryder OHL 5-11 193
50. D Michael Sauer WHL 6-2 196
51. F Radel Smolenak OHL 6-2 193
52. D J.P. Paquet QMJHL 6-3 210
53. D Chad Denny QMJHL 6-3 210
54. F Justin Abdelkader USHL 6-1 195
55. F Anton Skorykh RUS 6-3 187
56. D Dustin Kohn WHL 6-1 185
57. D Oscars Bartulis QMJHL 6-2 188
58. D Jakub Vojta CZE 6-0 184
59. F Ilya Zubov RUS 5-10 175
60. D Dalyn Flatt WHL 6-3 215
61. D Kristopher Letang QMJHL 6-0 190
62. D Mike Gauthier WHL 6-3 196
63. G Ondrej Pavelec CZE 5-11 170
64. F Tom Pyatt OHL 6-0 180
65. F Steve Downie OHL 5-11 192
66. D Patrick McNeil OHL 6-1 193
67. D Danny Syvret OHL 5-11 203
68. F Richard Lelkes SLO 6-3 207
69. F Nick Drazenovic WHL 6-0 182
70. F Cody Bass OHL 6-0 187
71. D Joe Finley USHL 6-7 230
72. D Ryan Wilson OHL 6-1 212
73. D Sean Zimmerman WHL 6-2 220
74. F Cal O’Reilly OHL 5-11 183
75. D Matt Pelech OHL 6-4 220
76. D Matt Niskanen USHS 6-1 197
77. F Marek Bartanus SLV 6-3 199
78. F Vladimir Karpov RUS 6-1 185
79. F Wacey Rabbit WHL 5-10 170
80. F Ondrej Otcenas SLO 6-1 198
81. D Marc-Andre Gragnani QMJHL 6-1 180
82. F Sergei Shirokov RUS 5-10 170
83. D Ray Macias WHL 6-1 190
84. F Blair Jones WHL 6-2 192
85. D Vitaly Anikeenko RUS 6-4 198
86. F Sebastian Karlsson SWE 6-0 189
87. F Jason Lawrence USNTDP 5-10 179
88. D Andrei Zubarev RUS 6-1 190
89. G Joe Fallon NCAA 6-3 190
90. F Sergei Kostitsyn BEL 5-11 175
91. D Cody Franson WHL 6-5 207
92. D Keith Yandle CA 6-2 203
93. D Jeff May WHL 6-2 187
94. D Paul Kurceba WHL 6-2 180
95. C Evan Brophey OHL 6-1 194
96. F Gennady Churilov QMJHL 6-0 174
97. D Garrett Suter USHL 6-0 188
98. F Paul Stastny NCAA 6-1 196
99. D Marc-Edouard Vlasic QMJHL 6-1 190
100. D Francois Bolduc QMJHL 6-4 223
101. D Taylor Chourney SHA 5-11 182
102. F Jonathan Matsumoto CCHA 6-0 184
103. D Kris Russell WHL 5-10 160
104. F Morten Madsen SWE 6-1 189
105. F Anton Krysanov RUS 6-3 197
106. F Richard Clune OHL 6-0 194
107. G Tyler Plante WHL 6-3 191
108. D Johnathan Sigalet NCAA 6-0 185
109. D Steve Birnstill NCAA 6-2 187
110. F Jordan Lavalle QMJHL 6-2 218
111. F Mike Duco OHL 5-10 194
112. D Nicholas Tuzzolino OHL 6-6 225
113. F Stanislav Lascek QMJHL 6-0 191
114. F Chris Vande Velde USHS 6-2 187
115. D Juho Mielonen FIN 6-3 185
116. F Tom Gorowsky USHL 6-0 189
117. D Derek Joslin OHL 6-1 191
118. D Alexander Hellstrom SWE 6-2 192
119. F Justin Mercier USNDT 6-0 177
120. D Anton Belov RUS 6-3 194

X-SHARKIE

Good list Cup, I always like your stuff. After working with you on a mock draft I have came to respect and agree with your opinion much.

IMO These are the few notable differences we have though.

To low: Alex Bourret (top 10), Martin Hanzal (top 15), Marek Zagrapan (Top 10) Ondrej Pavelec (late 1st round), Brendan Mikkelson (top 25), Jakub Vojta (Top 25)

To High: Teemu Laakkso (2nd round), Dan Collines (late 2nd-early 3rd) Mike Gauthier (4th round), Garret Suter (7th-9th round)

BTW I have a question for you.

I noticed you have Lawrence at 42nd, pretty much where I would have him, IMO he's a big wildcard and could have as much upsisde as anyone in the 2nd round. What's your take on him?

And what makes Istomin so special? I saw that kid at the U-18 and left me utterly unimpressed, no heart, no courage. I rather have Ilya Zubov play on my team.

Was it just a bad tournament?

Camden

May 14, 2005
First time I have seen Ondrej Otcenas, Chris Vande Velde, and Jonathan Matsumoto that high. What do you figure these guys potentials are?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Cup4Wings said:
2. D Jack Johnson USNTDP 6-1 201
Best all-round defenseman in 2005 has all the tools to be a legit no. 1 d-man in the NHL. His game reminds me of Ed Jovanovski a bit. Needs to work on his foot speed to get to the NHL level. He will need lots of ice time with Michigan next year to continue developing.

21. G Carey Price WHL 6-3 204
He has great size and reflexes. Positioning is usually good but on some occasions he gets caught out of position. If develops correctly, Price could be the best goalie in the whole draft. Potential is sky high, perennial NHL all-star.
[/B]

JJ does not have the offensive game that Jovo does and Carey Price at #21? Rask is not 11 spots up on Price, no way!

Last edited by a moderator:

TopGun12

Dec 22, 2003
I was very surprised that Brodie Dupont didn't make the list. He had a slow start but he finished very strong, and in the playoffs i thought he was probably the third best forward for Calgary other than Getzlaf and Ladd.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think maybe Scalzo should be in the top 120, he is the best skating defenseman Ive seen since Neidermayer. He's not big, but he's no liability, and has great vision. Qbacks a PP well. I could see him as a top 4, maybe Brian Rafalskiish.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
hockeyman28 said:
I think maybe Scalzo should be in the top 120, he is the best skating defenseman Ive seen since Neidermayer. He's not big, but he's no liability, and has great vision. Qbacks a PP well. I could see him as a top 4, maybe Brian Rafalskiish.

Scalzo is a 20 yr old. He should be able to sign with any team he wants. He looks like a Rafalski type player, but who knows how things will turn out?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
HabLover said:
Scalzo is a 20 yr old. He should be able to sign with any team he wants. He looks like a Rafalski type player, but who knows how things will turn out?

Yea. . .
But i think he's good enough to get drafted. I could see a team like Atlanta or Columbus going after him

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
HabLover said:
JJ does not have the offensive game that Jovo does and Carey Price at #21? Rask is not 11 spots up on Price, no way!

how amny times have you watched rask play?

A Good Flying Bird*

Cup4Wings said:
Here is my 2005 top 120 list. Now, this is a ranking list not a mock draft list. I would have loved to do a mock 120 but not knowing were each NHL team picks was a problem. I know it may be a little heavy with North American Prospects, but, there are two reason behind this. One is because this really is an off year for the European talent pool and because most of my European Prospect info is from seeing these kids in tournament play only or second hand reports from those who see them on a regular basis. Anyway hope you enjoy. ]

Nice list.
Glad to see Justin Mercier on the list.

I'd be thrilled if the Wings picked him late in the 4th. IMO, he's the most underrated player on the NTDP team. He doesn't have Stoa's size, but he's just as skilled. Or even more so. But he gets ZERO attention.

Also, I noticed you included Hellstrom on your list. Nice pick, although I think he needs a ton of work on skating and balance. Still, lots of raw talent.
I wonder why no one is high on fellow Swedish defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson. He's far more polished in EVERY aspect of the game.

A Good Flying Bird*

Rabid Ranger said:
Good effort, although I don't think Jack Johnson needs to work on his skating at all.

Agreed.
Johnson's only weakspot, IMO, is his defensive positioning. He'll learn a lot from Berenson. And even then, he's going to need some time to adjust to the NHL game.
But his skills and physical attributes are all ready NHL caliber

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HabLover said:

Despite your best efforts to prove otherwise, Jack Johnson DOES have a highly developed offensive game. Give it up pal.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Despite your best efforts to prove otherwise. Jack Johnson DOES have a highly developed offensive game. Give it up pal.

:shakehead

Now Crosby and Kessel would have highly developed offensive games, I guess JJ is up with the big boys now! IMO, his offensive game is just not there right now! Will it ever be??.....who knows, but at this point no and the U18 tourney confirmed that for me. I was really looking for something special from him and he didn't deliver IMO. Team USA was superior than most teams at the U18's and they had played together for 2yrs or so, and with all the hype around JJ, he should have been much, much better!

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
JJ is, for me, an interesting case. I went in to this season having heard very, very mixed reports about him. When he was not named to US' WJC team despite their AWFUL defence, I became extremely skeptical. But after seeing him play the U18's and being told by an NHL scout that there were extenuating circumstances for him not being placed on the team, I now can see how some would consider him the second or third pick in 2005.

However, while I have newfound respect for the prospect, I'm baffled by how some people treat and evaluate him. People suddenly are gushing and saying that he's the best defensive prospect on the planet (magically forgetting the typical HF Board wet dream, Dion Phaneuf), and that he's more hyped than any D that they can remember (apparently they forget 2002 and Jay Bouwmeester).

I think, in this case, there are a lot of opinions (not all, certainly) based on seeing a prospect play one game (on TV) and having never seen him play, but formulated a few in their own mind based on what they've heard and fantasized. I think in reality he lies somewhere in between? Does JJ have a "highly developed offensive game." I would say absolutely not. But I would say he has an increasingly developing offensive game. It's a matter of what "highly developed" and "increasingly developing" mean to you.

With no Rosetta Stone, so to speak, to translate between different interpretations of the same expression, especially when in regards to talking about a defenceman's offensive capabilities, the point seems lost.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Thanks for taking the time to do this list, Cup. It's only a shame when people can't give CONSTRUCTIVE criticisms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad