Cups Annual Draft Guide...Released May 22nd.

dank

Jan 11, 2006
NYC
i just got it

impressive to say the least.. monumental would be a better word..

rick1042

Jul 3, 2006
Verdun
Hello Cup,

Just got to say...an incredible piece of work. I will surely have your guide by my side during draft day.:handclap:

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
First off, great guide, a lot of fun to read through.

I just have a quick question though, I haven't seen Shattenkirk play but from everything I've heard about him, you seem to have a different impression. Such as, I've heard he's a great skater yet you say he needs to work on foot speed and acceleration. Am I way off base here?

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
First off, great guide, a lot of fun to read through.

I just have a quick question though, I haven't seen Shattenkirk play but from everything I've heard about him, you seem to have a different impression. Such as, I've heard he's a great skater yet you say he needs to work on foot speed and acceleration. Am I way off base here?

Ya, I saw that too in the CSB notes on the Media guide but I just have a different opinion then they do.

Kevin has a similar stride to young Detroit Red Wing defender Brett Lebda. Both have good speed and mobility however they can look choppy and almost like they are skating in sand when they are getting going. Kevin does need to imporve his stride and lengthen it somewhat but it is not an area of big concern as a lot of today's NHL'er have worse feet and still get by.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
I'll echo the comments of others. Outstanding work. Thanks!

One question - I noticed Nico Sacchetti at #94 on your list, but he was just barely outside the top 90 that had scouting reports. Dallas is rumored to be interested in him since he's played in high school with their first round pick from 2005. Any observations on him?

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006
Cup...outstanding job. You must be truly a hockey/draft fanatic!

I don't concur with your projection of the Leafs drafting Sutter. He is somewhat similar to current players such as Steen/Stajan. I believe the Leafs are looking for a skill player with speed, the boom or bust type.

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Cup...outstanding job. You must be truly a hockey/draft fanatic!

I don't concur with your projection of the Leafs drafting Sutter. He is somewhat similar to current players such as Steen/Stajan. I believe the Leafs are looking for a skill player with speed, the boom or bust type.

I didn't think they could aford a bust and at 13th overall they will not be getting a Kane or Turris. Sutter is a safe pick as well as a skilled pick, just what I was thinking.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Cup, this is absolutely outstanding! Thank you! I have never seen such an exhaustive and comprehensive preview of the NHL draft before. It's a shame that THN or McKeen's who's full-time job is to cover this type of stuff can't even provide anywhere close to this kind of information. Thankfully we have a great resource in you!!!

Whenever I get a draft guide, I like to hold onto it for a few years to see how accurate the assessments are/were. I'll definitely print this one out and keep it on me.

Yann

Apr 4, 2007
Ontario
After reading almost the whole thing twice, i have to say, this is amazing. You could do this for a living, THN should hire you

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Thank you Mr. Cup!!

After reading almost the whole thing twice, i have to say, this is amazing. You could do this for a living, THN should hire you

It is very hard to get good previews in Columbus.. with yours just printed I intend to stop looking for THN. If you are planning to attend the draft, please PM me and I will get you some lower bowl tickets, and a beer or two eh?

Sure thing,

First off, Cohen has been underrated IMO by all this year, the kid can skate, has great offensive instincts and offensive tools as well as playing physical when needed. You have heard the saying "you can teach defense but not skill like that", well that is his story, he is not the best defensive defenseman available. If he was 5'10" 180Lbs he would be lower second round prospect but the fact he is 6'2" 200Lbs makes him a first rounder in my books.

With regards to Repik, I have seen him time and time again and have been left wondering if he is even interested in becoming an NHL player. He has spurts of offensive brilliance and then disapears for streches. I have questioned his determination and heart, similar to :eek::eek::eek::eek:i in this regard.

Hope that sheds light on my opinion of the two.

Great comment on Repik all you have had to do is watch the giants in the mem cup for validation of this statement. Id be very upset with my team if they took this guy with any significant pick.

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006
I didn't think they could aford a bust and at 13th overall they will not be getting a Kane or Turris. Sutter is a safe pick as well as a skilled pick, just what I was thinking.

Hi Cup...at least one of your fellow Wing fans agrees with me on the Leafs and Sutter at 13th.

redwingsfan

Quote:

i dont think sutter would be the right pick for them. i dont see him becoming a top 6 forward and he is not BPA at 13.

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
:handclap:

Unreal production 'Mister' Cup, Bravo!

In reading your guide it is evident that you have utilized many more sources than most others did for the requisite research, which makes for a superior quality product in the end. The extra comments that you included about players provides additional insight that is virtually impossible to collect without taking several man-hours to accumulate such data.

I hope you don't mind me adding this info in to this thread, but I am going to repost the results of the skating & shooting testing that was performed at the 'Top Prospects' game in January, despite the fact that it didn't include all the prospects in attendance due to some delayed flights, etc.
(This is information that Cup originally posted post-Prospects game)

It is revealing to analyze and compare the results, to some of the commentary made by some in the scouting community of some of these players.

As an example, one of my favourite '07 prospects Logan Couture is said by some scouts to be a 'poor' skater & lacking good first-step acceleration. And despite having mono which drained his strength & stamina for the majority of the past season, some of his skating times according to CSB were better than those posted by Gagner, Voracek & Katic (felt to be the best skater in the entire draft by some), to name a few.

Now in the grand scheme of things, skating speed & shooting velocity during these tests don't really mean much at all. But in the one example I cited above it can call into question the validity of some scouting community negative comments about Coutures' skating ability & first step....the results below say otherwise:

60' Dash
C Logan MacMillan -- 2.933
C David Skokan --2.968
C Colton Gillies -- 3.008
D Kevin Marshall -- 3.016
LW Brett Maclean -- 3.035
C Bryan Cameron -- 3.050
LW David Perron -- 3.061
LW Nick Spaling -- 3.078
RW Oscar Moller -- 3.082
RW Pat Kane -- 3.085
RW Stefan Legein -- 3.097
LW Ruslan Bashkirov -- 3.099
D David Stich -- 3.129
D Nick Ross -- 3.143
C Logan Couture -- 3.146
C Sam Gagner -- 3.165
LW Maxim Gratchev -- 3.172
RW Jakub Voracek -- 3.183
D Keaton Ellerby -- 3.207
C Keven Veilleux -- 3.230
RW Nick Palmieri -- 3.288
D Mark Katic -- 3.483

150' Dash
C Bryan Cameron -- 5.919
D Kevin Marshall -- 5.969
RW Pat Kane -- 6.020
LW Nick Spaling -- 6.031
D David Stich -- 6.039
RW Stefan Legein -- 6.044
LW Ruslan Bashkirov -- 6.067
C Colton Gillies -- 6.094
C David Skokan -- 6.105
LW David Perron -- 6.121
C Logan MacMillan -- 6.122
C Logan Couture -- 6.128
LW Maxim Gratchev -- 6.141
RW Jakub Voracek -- 6.193
LW Brett Maclean -- 6.206
D Mark Katic -- 6.224
C Sam Gagner -- 6.240
RW Oscar Moller -- 6.275
D Nick Ross -- 6.281
D Keaton Ellerby -- 6.332
RW Nick Palmieri -- 6.424
C Keven Veilleux -- 6.435

Hardest Shot
C Keven Veilleux -- 93.9
C Logan MacMillan -- 92.2
D Keaton Ellerby -- 91.5
D Kevin Marshall -- 91.2
RW Jakub Voracek -- 90.9
LW Brett Maclean -- 90.8
C Logan Couture -- 90.5
LW Nick Spaling -- 90
D David Stich -- 90
RW Stefan Legein -- 89.4
LW Maxim Gratchev -- 89.1
C Colton Gillies -- 88.9
RW Oscar Moller -- 88.7
D Nick Ross -- 88.3
D Mark Katic -- 87.4
RW Nick Palmieri -- 87.1
C Sam Gagner -- 85.7
LW David Perron -- 83.2
LW Ruslan Bashkirov -- 83.1
C David Skokan -- 81.8
RW Pat Kane -- 79.6
C Bryan Cameron -- 76.7

Fastest Skater
C Colton Gillies -- 13.8
RW Stefan Legein -- 14.791
D Kevin Marshall -- 14.977
LW Nick Spaling -- 14.997
LW Ruslan Bashkirov -- 15.017
D Mark Katic -- 15.108
RW Pat Kane -- 15.116
LW Maxim Gratchev -- 15.13
D Keaton Ellerby -- 15.182
D David Stich -- 15.207
C Logan MacMillan -- 15.217
RW Jakub Voracek -- 15.254
C Logan Couture -- 15.286
C Bryan Cameron -- 15.302
RW Nick Palmieri -- 15.313
LW Brett Maclean -- 15.352
RW Oscar Moller -- 15.365
C David Skokan -- 15.395
C Sam Gagner -- 15.407
LW David Perron -- 15.476
D Nick Ross -- 15.655
C Keven Veilleux -- 16.160

Puck Control
RW Pat Kane -- 16.451
RW Oscar Moller -- 16.925
D Mark Katic -- 16.992
RW Stefan Legein -- 17.019
LW Nick Spaling -- 17.098
C Bryan Cameron -- 17.129
C David Skokan -- 17.195
LW David Perron -- 17.204
D Keaton Ellerby -- 17.248
RW Jakub Voracek -- 17.337
C Colton Gillies -- 17.531
LW Brett Maclean -- 17.570
C Sam Gagner -- 17.608
D Nick Ross -- 17.626
C Keven Veilleux -- 18.034
C Logan Couture -- 18.194
RW Nick Palmieri -- 18.279
LW Maxim Gratchev -- 18.417
D Kevin Marshall -- 18.537
LW Ruslan Bashkirov -- 18.721
D David Stich -- 19.145
C Logan MacMillan -- 19.309

coolguy21415

Jul 17, 2003
No offense, but a future suggestion might be to qualify the players descriptions by providing where you saw them in games. For instance I highly doubt you've seen Lars Eller play very much, but yet you rate him very highly. The same can be said for many other prospects.

I guess it's hard for me to read amateur scouting reports without knowing how much salt I should be taking along with them.

edit: I mean none of them are egregiously wrong as far as I've read, but it helps to know which game you scouted/observed when reading descriptions for some of the more obscure players. To show I'm a nice guy I'm in the process of adding links to your PDF so it's easier to browse.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->