Cunninghame collapses UPD: hired as pro scout

Senzilla

Aug 20, 2016
Ottawa
Dang,this is terrible news. The reports of CPR being performed sadly suggest this is very serious. Thoughts with him and his family. I know this is secondary, but I always feel terrible for the fans who have to watch events like these unfold in front of them.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Dang,this is terrible news. The reports of CPR being performed sadly suggest this is very serious. Thoughts with him and his family. I know this is secondary, but I always feel terrible for the fans who have to watch events like these unfold in front of them.

I've been at NHL games where the mood was very subdued after player carted off ice. Recall one due to players chasing puck on icing (before the new hybrid rule); opponent player who broke femur hitting upright of net. (Similar thing happened at training camp scrimmage.) There have been a few "big hits" that resulted in concussions/unconsciousness as well where player had to be put on stretcher to get off the ice. And some real nasty leg injuries too.

Never a "good" feeling.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Even made NHL Now today.

Friedman speculating that not much being made public until they have a better idea of what happened. Very popular player.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Here's an article from TSN by Bob McKenzie:

http://www.tsn.ca/hockey-community-praying-for-craig-cunningham-1.613515

I don't follow many players accounts on Twitter - mainly Bruins and former Bruins. I've noticed a TON of player tweets, even from accounts that may tweet 3-4 times a year...that tells me he's made a LOT of close friends. Shows what kind of guy he is. I hope he pulls through whatever it is as best he can.

For the record, "critical but stable" is NOT a medical term. It's not even a term that hospitals are supposed to use when discussing the condition of a patient with the media - the generally approved terms include "good", "fair", "serious", and "critical". Those terms are deliberately vague for privacy reasons.

Not knowing anything specifically in this case, to me, "critical but stable" would make me guess he's in an ICU/CCU type unit where you're on tight monitoring, since that's where critical care nurses and critical care doctors are. But it tells me absolutely nothing about why he's there, or even how serious his condition is in the long run. If that's true, it also tells me that they're not ready to move him out onto a less invasive floor at this point.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://tucson.com/sports/roadrunner...=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

Detailed story of the steps the doctors took to save Cunningham's life.

They still don't know what caused heart attack.

"The long-term prognosis is that his heart function is working really well,†Khalpey said. “Will he be able to move around on the ice?â€

That question remains unanswered. It’s not the only one. How could this even happen to a healthy, 26-year-old professional athlete in the first place?

“That’s the million-dollar question,†Khalpey said. “We’re still trying to find out. It could be multiple causes.â€

Khalpey lists a few: A predisposition to abnormal pathways, or abnormal electrolytes, if Cunningham’s potassium was too high.

Out of hospital and into rehab in the future. Unknown what future hockey involvement can be.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Oh wow thought this just happened. Damn, heart attack at 26 as an athlete? How or why?

They still haven't announced a reason as to why it happened. A number of stories a few weeks after it happened had some medical pundit suggesting a few whys.

But they had to work extremely hard those first couple of weeks to keep him alive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad