Cuban wants an NHL team...(TSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chilly Willy*

CupDrought67 said:
Chicago definitely needs a new owner... one that will atleast let em watch home games on tv.

Or how about one that will be passionate about the team in a good way, not hold it back and cut the fans off from the team.

Chicago definitely needs a new team...i would talk about the teams i'd hope would relocate due to bad fan support and ticket sales but thats for another day, another thread.

CupDrought67

Aug 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
www.freewebs.com
Chilly Willy said:
Or how about one that will be passionate about the team in a good way, not hold it back and cut the fans off from the team.

Chicago definitely needs a new team...i would talk about the teams i'd hope would relocate due to bad fan support and ticket sales but thats for another day, another thread.

I doubt hockey fans in Chicago would care for another team. I think they care more for the blackhawks than they would for a new team, but hey if they want one why not give em the canucks ;) Their fans seem pretty fair weather.

JK

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
CupDrought67 said:
Mark Cuban is on tsn's off the record show saying he is still interested in buying an NHL team in a big market and even more interested in the penguins ... if mario wants to call him.

Cuban as an owner would rock.

Pit = big market?

As I read comments in this thread it sounds more like Cuban wants to buy a future superstar player and the franchise just comes with him, if in fact he is still wooing Mario. I also don't think Mario has done that bad as an owner, save for the recent negative comments about losing money this season. Is there not a good chance IF Cuban would buy this franchise he would move it?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Cuban would be doing quite a commute between Dallas and Pittsburgh during the winter sports season...

He should buy the Stars

timmy12

Jun 25, 2005
Cuban is from Pittsburgh and made a comment this summer when attending a Pirate game that if the Pirates were ever going to move, he would buy them and keep them in Pittsburgh. He said he would do everything in his power to make sure that Pittsburgh has their "full compliment of teams" Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that if the Pens were on the verge of moving, he would have an interest in buying them. Especially since he tried to buy into the ownership group when the Pens were coming out of bankruptcy.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
I can't stand how people like Cuban keep saying that Crosby needs to be the Lebron James of the NHL.

It's just not gonna happen, they're two completly different sports. It's nearly impossible for a player to dominate a hockey game, it's really only the Orr's and Gretzky's that can do that, and even then they're not even playing half the game. In basketball, the starters can play 80% of the game or more.

Not to mention, basketball is just a much flashier game where the participants are easier to market. If they wanna market Crosby like James, they'd better start trying to convince him to make lots of end to end rushes and take his visor off.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Anybody else think Fidel Castro when they saw the title of the thread?

As for Mark Cuban getting involved, it can only be good. He'd instantly become the most recognizable face in hockey aside from Lemieux and Gretzky.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Rydified said:
I just want a team back in winnipeg :(

I would like to see a team back in Winnipeg as well, but it simply won't happen, and the first reason is that the arena is too small.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I think the problems still is with marketing. I hate basketball and never watch it on TV, but if you show me a picture of LeBron in street clothes I'd know who he is, I can't say the same for Crosby....

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Mario wants to be treated fairly...

Chilly Willy said:
Mario the player - magnificent
Mario the owner - sheer stupidity.

He's had his chances to make this team stable financially, he wins the Crosby lottery and now he's suddenly come down with the case of arrogance? Man in a year or 2 when he loses money again, he'll be building up some stupid hype about a new owner.

I am a huge fan of Mario the player, not soo much of Mario the owner and operator.

Come on, that's pretty harsh on Mario. I mean, all the Pens want is to be treated the same as the Pirates and Steelers don't they? Didn't those 2 teams get some public funds for their new stadiums? If so, then Mario should ask for the same treatment from the city. If the Pirates and Steelers didn't use any public funds for their stadiums, then Mario and the Pens should shut up and build the rink themselves with private funds.

The arena issue is still there because it takes 2 years to build a new rink, so with the out clause for the Pens from the Mellon Arena in 2007, a decision on a new rink has to be made very soon. I mean, if the 05-06 season ends without a decision on a rink, then why should Mario keep the team in an arena where he'll lose money?

If Cuban wants the team and wants to spend his own money on a new arena, fine, sell the team to him.

Personally, I don't see Mario remaining as an owner past his re-retirement from the NHL. I think once Mario leaves as a player, he'll probably want to pack it in as an owner as well.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
tom_servo said:
He wanted to partner up with Lemieux when Mario was buying the team out of bankruptcy. I forget the details.

Hopefully Cuban is still interested two years from now, if Mario's looking to unload.

I vaguely recall from some TV bio that he had made inquiries about buying into his hometown Penguins, but the organization was more interested in his money than his input. With "cost certainty" and the Crosby factor, I'm sure Cuban is calling again about the Pens, if not the Blues or another franchise.

mackdogs*

Darn, I was hoping this thread was about a rich dude from Cuba.

se7en*

The Albino said:
Anybody else think Fidel Castro when they saw the title of the thread.

No, but I misread. I thought it said "Cuba wants an NHL team"!!

Me = :confused:

Not now of course.

lemieux32*

A) Cuban has talked with the Blues

B) My wife is from Chicago so we spend Christmas there and for a city that won't take to another team the Wolves are doing great. Probably just to spite Wirtz!

C) The new arena in Winnipeg has a capacity over 15,000 and I thought I read it was built to be expanded. Can't find the link right now.

SerialSeb

Sep 1, 2005
Where hockey lives!
lemieux32 said:
A) Cuban has talked with the Blues

B) My wife is from Chicago so we spend Christmas there and for a city that won't take to another team the Wolves are doing great. Probably just to spite Wirtz!

C) The new arena in Winnipeg has a capacity over 15,000 and I thought I read it was built to be expanded. Can't find the link right now.

A) That seems to be the most probable

B) Ya the wolves did extremely well top of the AHL. Chicago still loves hockey but won't pay top dollars to see a second rate team. The owners tried to screw the fans over there. Just look at the attendance stats for both teams. Wolfes avg 9200
Blackhawks 13200... Wish they had gotten better ownership a long time ago.

C)That's what I've heard too and they are developping the area around the arena as a conference centre with hotels and other sports related venues. Plus Manitoba is fourth in AHL attendance.

Guy Legend

Jun 2, 2005
St. Louis
Cuban would be a great owner for the Blues. He'd bring some excitement to the team locally and nationally.

I wonder if Mark has had sincere discussions with the team...

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Guy Legend said:
Cuban would be a great owner for the Blues. He'd bring some excitement to the team locally and nationally.

I wonder if Mark has had sincere discussions with the team...

If he buys the Blues, he should sell the Mavericks and buy the Jazz. Then he can buy the Toronto Rock from the National Lacross League, and the marketing writes itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad