Cuban wants an NHL team...(TSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claypool_*

Where was his intrest last year? :shakehead

I believe he wanted to buy the team before, but Lemieux said "thanks, but no thanks".

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
He wanted to partner up with Lemieux when Mario was buying the team out of bankruptcy. I forget the details.

Hopefully Cuban is still interested two years from now, if Mario's looking to unload.

CupDrought67

Aug 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
www.freewebs.com
Cuban saying that HDNet (i think he owns) will be all over crosby and he thinks that mario is doing bad things by putting out all this negativity when Sidney's buzz is still going on. He also said that the NHL needs a lebron james of hockey and that sydney might be him.

Verbeek

Human see, human do.
Jul 19, 2005
Pittsburgh
CupDrought67 said:
TSN .. the show just finished. Theres no link it was on tv.

Ahhh.. lame. I saw him a little while back on ESPN talking about the NHL though... or was is MSNBC... whatever.

And I think the reason Mario said "no" to him investing in the Pens was because he wanted too much control.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Cuban would be absolutely perfect for the Pens. Besides being from Pittsburgh, his deep pockets would allow the franchise to stay in the city if the arena issue drags on.

KH1

I love Cuban. He gets a bad reputation as a Steinbrenner-esque owner who tries to control everything too much and always wants the spotlight on him but he is great for the Mavericks and the NBA. Unlike Steinbrenner he hires basketball people and let's them do their jobs, but he is also very personally connected to all of his players and fans.

He'd be a blessing for the NHL, especially if he buys a franchise in an unconventional hockey market like the south.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
WVpens said:
Cuban would be absolutely perfect for the Pens. Besides being from Pittsburgh, his deep pockets would allow the franchise to stay in the city if the arena issue drags on.

didn't lemieux just sell most of the team to someone?

One thing this will do though is that it will be almost impossible for the current ownership to move the team if there is someone with more money willing to keep them there. Why didn't he get in a year ago?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
go kim johnsson 514 said:
didn't lemieux just sell most of the team to someone?

One thing this will do though is that it will be almost impossible for the current ownership to move the team if there is someone with more money willing to keep them there. Why didn't he get in a year ago?
No. Mario's group was going to sell to a group headed by a San Jose businessman, Williams "Boots" Del Biaggio, but they backed out of the deal after winning the Crosby sweepstakes, although Del Baggio picked up a small minority stake in the team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Lemieux should definitely sell to Cuban if he wants to keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh. That way the team will be able to build an arena with private funds as opposed to being dependent on government revenues, which don't look very promising.

Chilly Willy*

Mario the player - magnificent
Mario the owner - sheer stupidity.

He's had his chances to make this team stable financially, he wins the Crosby lottery and now he's suddenly come down with the case of arrogance? Man in a year or 2 when he loses money again, he'll be building up some stupid hype about a new owner.

I am a huge fan of Mario the player, not soo much of Mario the owner and operator.

HughJass*

Chilly Willy said:
He's had his chances to make this team stable financially, he wins the Crosby lottery and now he's suddenly come down with the case of arrogance? Man in a year or 2 when he loses money again, he'll be building up some stupid hype about a new owner.

:shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad