CSB mid-season rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolburnIsGone

MrKnowNothing said:
Has Chipcura always been considered number one for NA players?

I've been under the impression that it's been Barker... :dunno:

The next five months should be interesting, to say the least.

The two players I like the most outside of the top players are Tukonen and Nokelainen. But I doubt either will last until the second round, especially Tukonen.
In the preliminary rankings, Chipchura was #1 for the WHL, Wolski was #1 for the OHL, Picard was #1 for the QMJHL, and Stafford was #1 for the Colleges. I would personally rank Wolski higher than Chipchura. Barker was 3rd in the WHL in the preliminary rankings too.

For those interested, I took all the preliminary rankings and put them together into a single excel spreadsheet of multiple pages. Then turned it into another webpage so you can use that to help compare with the new midterm rankings. Only problem with the prelim rankings is its the top 25 players per league/country so some of the players aren't on both lists.

http://www.coolburn.com/CSB_prelim.htm

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
What about you think this player?

139 MCKENZIE, JIM USHL SIOUX FALLS 10-Jun-84 6' 1" 209 RW R

and

219 SINISALO, TOMAS USHL GREEN BAY 15-Jan-86 5' 11" 178 LW L

Tomas is Ilkka Sinisalo´s son.

degroat*

Does anyone have the username and password that was posted on here a while back...or a link to the PDF's?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
-I like that they have Grant Lewis of Dartmouth, #32 NA.
A definite sleeper pick, he's got size & scoring.
I expect him to be looked at by the Ranger's who
already have Jessiman his current teammate &
Dylan Reese of Harvard who he played with at the HS level.

-Wes O'neil #22NA? Bank it, he'll go top ten in this draft.

-TJ Hensick will go alot higher than #96, even if he is on
the small side.

-Two Finnish names to look for - Petteri Nokelainen & Miikka Tuomainen(http://www.tutohockey.fi/Joukkue/?id=Miikka_Tuomainen) .

Overall I think the D-men in this draft look to be deeper than the forwards. Just an opinion.

degroat*

The Blues have a Dartmouth player also... Hugh Jessiman and one of their defensive prospects just graduated from there last year. Looks like they have something for their players.

BCCHL inactive

CSB aren't really into keeping up with current events...

European skaters
148. Stanislav Bolshakov - Togliatti 2 (Russia 2 league)

HE PLAYS FOR THE PRINCE GEORGE COUGARS OF THE WESTERN HOCKEY LEAGUE! :rant:

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Fighter said:
Chipchura FIRST??? Big time BS if you ask me, I wouldn't put him in the top 15!
O'Neill #19???

And WHY Tukonen #11???

:dunno:
He hasn't really done anything. Two goals in 23 games in SM-Liiga, so and so WJCs; although he did score a big goal on bronze game he didn't produce in proportion to chances and ice time he got. The talent is there, myself and apparently CSB scouts too wonder whether his decision making will improve with maturity, kind of like Rita at same age. OTOH, he turned 17 four months ago, price of being such a promising and closely watched player I guess.

petec1978*

Would it have killed them to wait 2-3 weeks until after the Top Prospects Game? Would've made more sense...

-Pete Choquette

eh

teme said:
He hasn't really done anything. Two goals in 23 games in SM-Liiga, so and so WJCs; although he did score a big goal on bronze game he didn't produce in proportion to chances and ice time he got. The talent is there, myself and apparently CSB scouts too wonder whether his decision making will improve with maturity, kind of like Rita at same age. OTOH, he turned 17 four months ago, price of being such a promising and closely watched player I guess.
Great analysis. If he had been playing in the juniors for the whole year, he'd possibly lead the league in scoring and everyone would be banging on about his superb scoring ability, including the CSB (and you? :), methinks. It's possible though, that he wouldn't have made the WJC squad without having SM-liiga games under his belt, but I wonder whether that would've influenced his ranking and if, which way. "He's just seventeen and wouldn't even be eligible for the draft this year if he'd be a couple of weeks younger" would be such a great excuse and I think most people would buy into that.

IMO the fact that he actually plays in SM-liiga and did make the WJC squad should be enough. He has all the time in the world to develop those aspects of his game which are still lacking.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Thanks.
eh said:
IMO the fact that he actually plays in SM-liiga and did make the WJC squad should be enough. He has all the time in the world to develop those aspects of his game which are still lacking.
Agree and disagree. You can play in SM-Liiga with his skating and size even if you have no hands, it is not entirely unreasonable to expect more from him. U18 should be interesting here, Tukonen gets to play against the elite of his own age group on what should be a fairly good team. If he produces, he'll rise, if not or he is injured or something, then it gets interesting.

When it comes to hockey, you can't teach vision, creativity and decision making IMO. Although, sometimes what looks like chronic brain cramp is something that passes when a player adjusts to higher level of play, sometimes it isn't. Let's put it this way: if I were a scout and GM asked me right now if Tukonen is going to be star, that is do we pick him on top ten, I'd ask him does he feel lucky?

For the record, I think he will turn out to be great, main concern with him was lack of effort and I don't see any problem there.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Brock said:
I definitely don't agree at all with the North American rankings. IMO It's the most disagreable that I can ever remember.

Barker 5th?
Mcgrath 15th?
Wes O Neill 19th?
Adam Pineault 21?
Michal Sersen 49th?
Jonathan Siglet 85th?
Mike Card 204th?

David Brown 29th in goalies?

Some of those are just crazy IMO

Not to long ago Mike Card was mentioned in the same sentance as Cam Barker..

My how that has changed...

...but Card has really come on in the last little while and scored some goals...

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
These North Amercian CSB rankings are a little bit of a mystery to me.

To put guys like Travis Zajac (Still unsure how he will perform at a higher level than the BCHL), Shawn Weller (plays in the EJHL and is barely a point a game), Raymond Sawada (Same as Zajac except he only averages a point a game in the BCHL), and Paul Stastny (USHL) all ahead of TJ Hensick, Mike Card (7th rd in NA??) and Brandon Dubinsky is a bit surprising.

I don't really have a problem with Bolland ahead of Schremp, despite the fact I think Schremp has a higher potential and better offensive skills. The fact is Schremp hasn't produced the numbers to separate himself from the pack, not that he has really under performed.

I haven't heard much about Boris Valabik (13th in NA). Is this simply another case of the CSB's liking size and strength over skills? He's listed at 6'6, 211 lbs, so it makes me wonder.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
AJ1982 said:
I haven't heard much about Boris Valabik (13th in NA). Is this simply another case of the CSB's liking size and strength over skills? He's listed at 6'6, 211 lbs, so it makes me wonder.
He's big and strong - no question, but I wouldn't put him up that high. This is his first year in the OHL. He has 12 points in 42 games with 166 PIM. He's learning the North American game and coming along well. He has become a bit of a target for opposing teams - he's gotten better at controlling his emotions and not taking stupid penalties over the past few weeks. If he continues to show the improvement we've seen so far this season, he'll be a good one!

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Charlie_Girl49 said:
He's big and strong - no question, but I wouldn't put him up that high. This is his first year in the OHL. He has 12 points in 42 games with 166 PIM. He's learning the North American game and coming along well. He has become a bit of a target for opposing teams - he's gotten better at controlling his emotions and not taking stupid penalties over the past few weeks. If he continues to show the improvement we've seen so far this season, he'll be a good one!

Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->