Crush the NHLPA like a grape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Lunatic

This is what happens when a union becomes too powerful for its own good. It starts to bully the employer and owners of the business that have made all the union members wealthy. Once it reaches that point, the union either agrees to give back some of its power or management is forced to crush it like a grape. In this instance, the union has decided to stick its head up its own a$$ and pretend that everything is going great on the deck of the Titanic. The time has come to show the NHLPA exactly whos running the show and who signes the paychecks.

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
Crazy Lunatic said:
This is what happens when a union becomes too powerful for its own good. It starts to bully the employer and owners of the business that have made all the union members wealthy. Once it reaches that point, the union either agrees to give back some of its power or management is forced to crush it like a grape. In this instance, the union has decided to stick its head up its own a$$ and pretend that everything is going great on the deck of the Titanic. The time has come to show the NHLPA exactly whos running the show and who signes the paychecks.

I agree, fire all the players and bring in the scabs. The American public wouldn't know the difference, just call it the NHL, and they would believe they are the best in the world, just like the NBA. With that huge paper bag over there heads, they would never know, it is the American way. If it walks like a duck, it must be a duck!

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Crazy Lunatic said:
Good luck with that. Don't count your chickens, my friend. The union hasn't put its John Hancock to anything yet.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Exactly.

dedalus said:
It remains to be seen who's running the show. That's what this is all about.

It couldn't be said more clearly and succinctly. This is exactly what strikes/lockouts are about. They aren't breakdowns in negotiations, they're a fundamental part of the negotiating process.

Crazy Lunatic

Drake1588 said:
Good luck with that. Don't count your chickens, my friend. The union hasn't put its John Hancock to anything yet.

Thats the point. They failed to cooperate and now they will be crushed. The NHL *will* break NHLPA if this season gets cancelled. There's no doubt about that.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Unless of course the NHL agrees to a high cap in the $50M range in the next week or two. You're assuming the NHL isn't feeling any pressure and won't be giving an inch. That could very well happen, you know, to save the season. You're assuming that the NHLPA is backed into a corner. Supposed "momentum" means nothing until the union actually signs anything. Your assumption that they are about to be "crushed" is premature.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Crazy Lunatic said:
Thats the point. They failed to cooperate and now they will be crushed. The NHL *will* break NHLPA if this season gets cancelled. There's no doubt about that.

You have nothing to gain one way or another so I don't see what you're excited about.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
ScottyBowman said:
You have nothing to gain one way or another so I don't see what you're excited about.

Well, it had been about 2 hours or so since the last melodramatic, hateful anti-NHLPA thread. ;)

Crush it like a grape!

Beat it like a rented mule!

Stamp it out like the Plague!

Arrrrrrrr! :mad:

Now back to our adult programming.... :)

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Crazy Lunatic said:
This is what happens when a union becomes too powerful for its own good. It starts to bully the employer and owners of the business that have made all the union members wealthy.

Yeah, because in the NHLPA's last offer, they demanded all players with 20 goals a season get paid like Bobby Holik. :shakehead

I mean, gosh, they are sure responsible for every lousy contract offered to them. They must have played some sort of vulcan mind trick on the owners to get so much money as free agents.

Oh, and they also suggested the owners introduce profit sharing via a luxury tax rather than a hard cap. Thank god the owners didnt want the players how to run their business, because that way the rich teams with revenue three times the proposed cap, would have lost even more money.

For the honor of being drafted the players can look forward to ten years of no salary arbitration rights, their family being uprooted and traded on a moments notice. They must hate the fans for not wanting such a system.

Clearly they are out to destroy the game of hockey.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Mighty Duck said:
I agree, fire all the players and bring in the scabs. The American public wouldn't know the difference, just call it the NHL, and they would believe they are the best in the world, just like the NBA. With that huge paper bag over there heads, they would never know, it is the American way. If it walks like a duck, it must be a duck!

No thanks. What a terrible idea.

Wetcoaster

Crazy Lunatic said:
And if that is the NHL intent then they have failed to bargain in good faith and been guilty of unfair labour practises.

That should play out well in the unlikely event that this dispute gets to the NLRB or a provincial labour relations board.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Crazy Lunatic said:

You are wrong if you think the owners have less to lose than the players with this lockout. Every team still has operating expenses; front office, scouts, trainers, service on debts for arenas and the like, etc. They have no revenue coming in. Wait until the banks start pressuring the owners that are not able to eat the ten mil or so per season they are losing.

Wetcoaster

Mighty Duck said:
It cannot be done. There is that funny thing called law that keeps getting in the way. How do you propose for the owners to do this?

I can see no way the NHL owners are in a position to use replacement players given:
- the US case law on bargaining impasse,
- lack of a substantive detailed offer to date from the owners which is required as it must be implemented as a CBA,
-differing jurisdictions and labour laws (US federal and 4 different Canadian provinces - no impasse procedure in Canada)
- the substantial financial penalties (and anti-trust suits) the owners would face if the NLRB does not accept the declaration of impasse
-the bar to any foreign players as replacements in Canada and the US under the respective immigration laws.

Mountain Dude

ScottyBowman said:
He's excited about the players losing, and I agree with them.

I say they just cancel this season and next season right now, and don't even bother going back to the bargaining table, when the players are ready to take the deal that has just been offered, they can come crawling back.

bhawk24bob

Jan 25, 2005
unfortunately for some of you cannucks, a union can never be too strong.

we wont get anything for 3 or 4 months, but when pro hockey happens again, it's going to be montreal, toronto, new york, philly, boston, detroit, chicago, colorado, st. louis, columbus, and l.a..

small market whining's going to have really done some good, right?

WhalerBoy

Jul 22, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I agee with the sentiment of crushing the union. I think the time has come for pro sports owners to accept some short term pain in exchange for long term gain. This has gotten way too ridiculous. I can accept a guy making 10mill a year, if he brings in that money. But when Joe average, Mr.3rd liner/8th man in basketball, bench player in baseball makes over 2 million a year, and most fans dont know him by name, its gone too far.

And yes, there may be a lot of PA hating going on? Ever stop to ask yourself why, instead of ridiculing the person who says it?

YES, the owners gave those contracts.

YES, the owners were not forced into anything.

Thats why the old CBA played out to its fullest, and now the time has come for change. If the PA don't like, they can sit out. I for one have looked forward to this, but I fear the owners will break. Id like to see them get a significant luxury tax MINIMUM, or call off the year.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
WhalerBoy said:
And yes, there may be a lot of PA hating going on? Ever stop to ask yourself why, instead of ridiculing the person who says it?

I have, believe it or not, and I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of those hating on the PA for this situation are idiots. I'd be really interested to see the average age/education level for people who are hardcore owner supporters vs. those who are more moderate/leaning PA. Too many people hear $270MM in losses, throw in the fact that their favourite team doesn't have a couple of Cups in the past 10 years, and they think tickets are too expensive, and come to the conclusion that the owners are absolutely right. It's insane.

There are solutions out there that don't involve a salary cap. The fact that Bettman has chosen not to pursue them tells me he's going after a big increase in franchise values. Fine, that's his and the owners choice, but don't expect me to support them while they seek it, and don't lie and say that it's about competitive balance.

Wetcoaster

bhawk24bob said:
unfortunately for some of you cannucks, a union can never be too strong.

we wont get anything for 3 or 4 months, but when pro hockey happens again, it's going to be montreal, toronto, new york, philly, boston, detroit, chicago, colorado, st. louis, columbus, and l.a..

small market whining's going to have really done some good, right?
Sorry I did not know, does Chicago have an NHL team?

WhalerBoy

Jul 22, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
mudcrutch79 said:
I have, believe it or not, and I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of those hating on the PA for this situation are idiots. I'd be really interested to see the average age/education level for people who are hardcore owner supporters vs. those who are more moderate/leaning PA. .

:shakehead

I believe you proved my point exactly. Instead of defending the players side, all you did was insult the owners, and more so, insult those that believe in what they are doing.

Also, dont be so naive as to believe everything is black and white. Just cause I say I agree the owners should fight for a cap does not mean I believe that

1. that ticket prices will come down
2. that owners have lost all the millions they have reported
3. that this is being done for competitive balance

lets face facts, this is all about money. The players greed vs the owners greed. The fact is, the players have been gettting more than their share, and its time to pay the piper. You dont offer 24% rollback on your salary if you believe you deserve that contract. They know they are overpaid, and are in a dying industry, but they refuse to relinquish power.
Its not their league, its not their teams. If the owners want a cap, truly, the players can go **** off, cause at some point, they will have to accept it.

Unless of course the owners are as spineless as i fear they may be!

WhalerBoy

Jul 22, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Wetcoaster said:
Sorry I did not know, does Chicago have an NHL team?

:lol:

Actually, they do. Its full of a bunch of guys who are really either

1. prospects

2. in the AHL-NHL netherworld

fact is, Chicago has already been using replacement players for over 3 years now!!!

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The difference is that his team isn't going anywhere and will be on its way up again... whalerboy. I wouldn't be so quick to knock Chicago.

This notion that the players will have to give in eventually, the notion of its very inevitability, is rooted in the mistaken sense that the owners are content to wait years without hockey, oblivious to waning public interest in the sport, decreasing franchise values, and recurring ownership costs -- lockout or no lockout.

The fact is that there is pain for ownership the longer that the lockout persists, and that the pressure on the NHL to get a deal done is a good bit more intense than they would have the fans believe.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
mudcrutch79 said:
I have, believe it or not, and I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of those hating on the PA for this situation are idiots.
I guess that makes 80% of Canadians idiots... :banghead:

"everyone's crazy except me! I'm the only normal one!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->