Crosby's Hypothetical UFA Salary

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
If Crosby was UFA next year, what salary would he command for next year on the open market? (Ignore term, just salary.).

Also ignore if you don't have the cap room presently, obviously you can trade players to make cap room, after all it's Crosby.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
The teams that have the space or can make it, and need a 1c, would be in a bidding war. I would guess 14 million per year from Montreal.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
He is getting older and would be entering the season as a 32-year-old. I know you say ignore term, but I'm gonna ignore you saying that.

19-20: 16m
20-21: 16m
21-22: 15m
22-23: 14m
23-24: 13m
24-25: 11m
25-26: 9m

So, approx. 13.5m/year, I'd guess, with max term.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
He could settle for a bit less than his worth at this point in a team that's going to be a Cup contender for years to help cement his legacy. Something along the lines of 7 million / year cap hit, signing for the Leafs

Reactions: 99664987

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
If Crosby was UFA next year, what salary would he command for next year on the open market? (Ignore term, just salary.).

Also ignore if you don't have the cap room presently, obviously you can trade players to make cap room, after all it's Crosby.

considering his age and concussion history, I'd offer him 10m a year max

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Wh... what?

In an already great team with super talent, a deal like this allows the team to sign one more top 3 forward / 1st-pairing Dman. I believe Crosby has his financial situation more than covered and will be looking to challenge for top 5 GOAT status at this point. So he might very will go for a deal like this.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
In an already great team with super talent, a deal like this allows the team to sign one more top 3 forward / 1st-pairing Dman. I believe Crosby has his financial situation more than covered and will be looking to challenge for top 5 GOAT status at this point. So he might very will go for a deal like this.
I know we're talking about him being a UFA here, but if he didn't care about a pay day and was going to sign for cheap, why wouldn't he just stay in Pitt for 7 mil and let them build a solid supporting cast around him. On the open market I see him getting twice that easily.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
I know we're talking about him being a UFA here, but if he didn't care about a pay day and was going to sign for cheap, why wouldn't he just stay in Pitt for 7 mil and let them build a solid supporting cast around him. On the open market I see him getting twice that easily.

Pens aren't even close to the best team for him to sign with if the goal is to win as much as possible for the next 7 years or so.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Pens aren't even close to the best team for him to sign with if the goal is to win as much as possible for the next 7 years or so.
If money isn't an issue, loyalty to a team/management/fanbase and not having to move are definitely factors. If winning is the main goal, then you would be correct.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
So ignore term, just salary. If you could sign Crosby for one year UFA, so far the one offer I see is approximately double 7m a year so somewhere near 14m a year.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
For one year? Of course the market would give him the max salary. Not just what he brings on ice, but the off ice value would be insane as well. Can't imagine a better way to market that your team is going for the Cup... now.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
$8,700,000 a year for in Pittsburgh for 6 more years, then take it 1 year at a time once he gets to 38 years old.

Hypothetically if he were leaving Pittsburgh, he could realistically command any dollar amount he wanted up to about $13m, I'd guess.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Something like 14 mil sounds about right. His marketing value alone to a new team or a team on the rise would be insane. If you aren't thinking about term at all I guess he could command max which I guess is closing in on 16?

Imagine the buzz if Vegas signed him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->