Crosby vs the flyers (crosby is too good for this league)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I want to live in an alternate reality where Lindros is able to fulfill his potential. He was a monster with a scoring touch. We all lost out on some wonderful hockey in dealing with his debilitating injuries.

Not that Lindros wasn't super talented and wouldn't have put together a fantastic career but I've always felt he gets overhyped by people when discussing what could have been.

I never felt like he had the necessary drive to become one of the absolute greatest of all time. Crosby does. Less talented players like yzerman or Sakic did. Gretzky did.

I think Lindros wouldn't have reached as high as his potential. Some suggest he would have been a top 5-10 player all time and I don't see it. Next tier up would have been his ceiling imo

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
And how it looks like with Claude Giroux? Vs. Pittsburgh Penguins. Read something, that he and Crosby hate each other (for whatever reason..).

They definitely have not liked each other at all, especially back in 2012.

"Sidney Crosby didn’t try to break Claude Giroux’s wrists, but if he did, good" (Yahoo article)

I think in recent years they've been able to put aside differences for Canada's World Cup team or other events like Gatorade's sledge hockey video or the All Stars, because that's just the right thing to do. I doubt they'll be meeting up for a beer anytime soon though.

Last edited:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Not that Lindros wasn't super talented and wouldn't have put together a fantastic career but I've always felt he gets overhyped by people when discussing what could have been.

I never felt like he had the necessary drive to become one of the absolute greatest of all time. Crosby does. Less talented players like yzerman or Sakic did. Gretzky did.

I think Lindros wouldn't have reached as high as his potential. Some suggest he would have been a top 5-10 player all time and I don't see it. Next tier up would have been his ceiling imo

I don’t know about that. He led the team to a cup final early on and got swept by one of the best cup winning teams ever. The legion of doom was unstoppable and there was no cap with the flyers spending whatever it took to win. He was certainly a generational talent and extremely unique. There already is a player somewhat similar to Crosby and some people say he could be better in McDavid, not sure about that but there is certainly no player like Lindros since.

Reactions: 99664987

TeeTee

Apr 20, 2016
I don’t know about that. He led the team to a cup final early on and got swept by one of the best cup winning teams ever. The legion of doom was unstoppable and there was no cap with the flyers spending whatever it took to win. He was certainly a generational talent and extremely unique. There already is a player somewhat similar to Crosby and some people say he could be better in McDavid, not sure about that but there is certainly no player like Lindros since.

I agree, Kingpin. Lindros was a very special player.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada

The bolded is the big thing. It was the whole package. He was a monster in size, had the speed, AND the finesse to deke you out of your skates. In many ways, his attributes were very Mario Lemieux like .. just not at his level. Christ, Lindros was faster than Mario was.

That's what made Lindros so good. He could deke you out, run you over, or go around you. Not many players in NHL history could do that.

Reactions: TheKingPin

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

No question Lindros is very unique. I don't dispute that in the least. He's more unique than Crosby was. But more unique doesn't mean better.

What i admire the most about Crosby is his consistency every year. It takes impeccable drive/work ethic to be so consistent every year. I don't think Lindros had that

it also takes impeccable drive/work ethic to play as well/long as guys like Sakic/Yzerman did. I could see Crosby having longevity that matches them - but i suspect Lindros may be the type to have declined a bit more/stopped a bit earlier.

For what it's worth Crosby >> Lemieux when it comes to work ethic/drive imo, and I say this as a huge fan of Lemieux who believes he might be the most talented player of all time. Lemieux superior talent by far. So even though Lindros has tremendous potential - I still see no way he'd reach as high as 5th player of all time (because of course Lindros is far behind Lemieux in terms of talent)

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
And how it looks like with Claude Giroux? Vs. Pittsburgh Penguins.

Statwise?

Regular season:

44gp14g31a45p
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Playoffs:

13gp8g11a19p
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Playoff numbers a little inflated by the 14p in 6 games in 2012, obviously. His only other previous series against the Pens was in 2009 as a rookie, and he had a very respectable 2g/3a in 6 games.

So he plays very well against the Penguins, but nothing close to Crosby's insane production against the Flyers.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I agree, Kingpin. Lindros was a very special player.

The bolded is the big thing. It was the whole package. He was a monster in size, had the speed, AND the finesse to deke you out of your skates. In many ways, his attributes were very Mario Lemieux like .. just not at his level. Christ, Lindros was faster than Mario was.

That's what made Lindros so good. He could deke you out, run you over, or go around you. Not many players in NHL history could do that.

He was such a fun player to watch.

No question Lindros is very unique. I don't dispute that in the least. He's more unique than Crosby was. But more unique doesn't mean better.

What i admire the most about Crosby is his consistency every year. It takes impeccable drive/work ethic to be so consistent every year. I don't think Lindros had that

it also takes impeccable drive/work ethic to play as well/long as guys like Sakic/Yzerman did. I could see Crosby having longevity that matches them - but i suspect Lindros may be the type to have declined a bit more/stopped a bit earlier.

For what it's worth Crosby >> Lemieux when it comes to work ethic/drive imo, and I say this as a huge fan of Lemieux who believes he might be the most talented player of all time. Lemieux superior talent by far. So even though Lindros has tremendous potential - I still see no way he'd reach as high as 5th player of all time (because of course Lindros is far behind Lemieux in terms of talent)

Well I think we have a fundamental disagreement on Crosby. I don’t think he’s 5th all time greatest player. He works tremendously hard and does ALL of the little things right, but he doesn’t really dominate games like even Malkin can. He’s can be so under the radar in a game. You don’t know where he is and then he has his 4th if the game innperfrct position or with a perfect shot. Mario and Lindros could dominate a game. It’s hard to compare such players, but I think the only way is to see what they’d do head to head. I think that goes Mario and Lindros over Crosby personally. Who knows though. Lindros almost died from brain injuries and Mario had cancer so it muddies the water a bit. I always thought Mario could have out produced Gretzky with health. The fact that that’s even a consideration means Mario is ahead of Crosby.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Lindros was more physically gifted than Crosby but Crosby's hockey IQ and work ethic is off the charts...every coach has raved about this guy especially in his younger days about how he sets the tone in practice, works tirelessly on certain aspects of his own game and is in the video room most of the time dissecting plays of teams, in general just being a great leader on and off the ice. In the playoff, you can have great speed, great dekes, great shots, but the biggest thing you need is a great hockey mind and Crosby has that in spades.

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010
, but he doesn’t really dominate games like even Malkin can. .
Always hated this myth. Everyone raves about Malkin vs Carolina in 09, yet the next playoffs Sid was just as good against the Sens if not better. Even 1 game peak tilts to Crosby`s favour imo.

Reactions: 99664987

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
He was such a fun player to watch.

Well I think we have a fundamental disagreement on Crosby. I don’t think he’s 5th all time greatest player. He works tremendously hard and does ALL of the little things right, but he doesn’t really dominate games like even Malkin can. He’s can be so under the radar in a game. You don’t know where he is and then he has his 4th if the game innperfrct position or with a perfect shot. Mario and Lindros could dominate a game. It’s hard to compare such players, but I think the only way is to see what they’d do head to head. I think that goes Mario and Lindros over Crosby personally. Who knows though. Lindros almost died from brain injuries and Mario had cancer so it muddies the water a bit. I always thought Mario could have out produced Gretzky with health. The fact that that’s even a consideration means Mario is ahead of Crosby.

First part: yeah, he really was. It was unreal watching get the puck in his own zone and think "ok, so wtf is he gonna do now?" He was so scary.

Sid CAN dominate games like Malkin .. it just seems like he does so less often. Sid plays generally pretty constant .. solid, fantastic hockey (a few months of this season not withstanding), with flashes of "omg wtf?" Malkin can go games where he plays like an AHLer, being totally disengaged .. and then crank it up to 143 for 5 minutes, and as you say, "wtf he has 4 pts? how did that happen?"

Either way, Im not sure there is much of a distinction. If a player A has crazy up and downs but score 100pts but player B just plays solid and gets 100pts .. is there really all that much of a difference to have an impact on "top X" status?

its an interesting debate for sure.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
First part: yeah, he really was. It was unreal watching get the puck in his own zone and think "ok, so wtf is he gonna do now?" He was so scary.

Sid CAN dominate games like Malkin .. it just seems like he does so less often. Sid plays generally pretty constant .. solid, fantastic hockey (a few months of this season not withstanding), with flashes of "omg wtf?" Malkin can go games where he plays like an AHLer, being totally disengaged .. and then crank it up to 143 for 5 minutes, and as you say, "wtf he has 4 pts? how did that happen?"

Either way, Im not sure there is much of a distinction. If a player A has crazy up and downs but score 100pts but player B just plays solid and gets 100pts .. is there really all that much of a difference to have an impact on "top X" status?

its an interesting debate for sure.
You take the consistent guy, but I’d argue the up and down guy could be better. Lindros wasn’t too up and down though.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
You take the consistent guy, but I’d argue the up and down guy could be better. Lindros wasn’t too up and down though.

Oh absolutely. Ive said this before but in terms of pure raw talent, Geno has, imo, considerably more than most.

Nah, Lindros was a beast. Its SUCH a shame his career was cut short.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Oh absolutely. Ive said this before but in terms of pure raw talent, Geno has, imo, considerably more than most.

Nah, Lindros was a beast. Its SUCH a shame his career was cut short.

Yes, more ups and downs with Malkin, with Crosby performing at a high level more consistently. I do agree that there is this version of "Angry Malkin" though that is more dangerous than Crosby. Some guys just have more peaks and valleys, or don't have the energy to go 100% all the time.

And yes, Lindros very high all-time when measuring total ability. The numbers don't tell the story with him.

Nathaniel

Oct 18, 2013
^ the most dominant player I've ever seen in my lifetime was Sid during his 25 game point streak. 26 goals, 24 assists. 2.00 ppg. On a per game basis. I'd imagine for those 25 games he was every bit as good as Lemieux. It was insane

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010
^ the most dominant player I've ever seen in my lifetime was Sid during his 25 game point streak. 26 goals, 24 assists. 2.00 ppg. On a per game basis. I'd imagine for those 25 games he was every bit as good as Lemieux. It was insane
More like that whole season.People will never give him credit for that and will resort to "on pace" insults and i dont`t blame them for that. But on "eye test" it was the best hockey since Mario. Stars just aligned for him at that moment.I laugh when so many say his peak was 2010 cause he scored 50 it wasnt close.

Nathaniel

Oct 18, 2013
We
More like that whole season.People will never give him credit for that and will resort to "on pace" insults and i dont`t blame them for that. But on "eye test" it was the best hockey since Mario. Stars just aligned for him at that moment.I laugh when so many say his peak was 2010 cause he scored 50 it wasnt close.
Well technically his peak was 2010. His last game was on jan 1 2011. But yeah Sid 10-11-12-13 was his absolute peak. Had a 13 point lead in 2013 before he broke his jaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->