Crosby vs. Ovechkin (WJC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Jacobv2 said:
I've seen Crosby play, but I haven't seen Ovechkin. Crosby has been impressive for a 16 year old, for sure, but if I hadn't known his age I probably wouldn't have even noticed him on the ice most of the time.

I dunno, I always notice when Crosby's on the ice. Maybe it has to do with all the hype he's getting you kind've are looking for him, but trying to put that out of my mind he always seems like he's creating some chances. He's had several half-breakaways and A LOT of nifty passes. Hasn't been the best player on the team, but I think per playing time he's created the most offense with what he's given.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
L3DZ3P said:
Last year Ovechkin was 17.PLus ovechkin play on russia top line with good linemates.Crosby play on a fourth line with linemates who cant finish the play most of the time.Oh and btw how can you judge these 2 players,i bet you never saw both of them since you are stuck in France.
First I may live in France, but I can notice you have some trouble spelling. Please do a check before submitting a post, I have a hard time reading.
IMO, Ovechkin's play as been pretty solid this year and spectacular last season (I've seen both WJC BTW). Crosby has been good this season.
But my point was really that to say Crosby outplayed Ovechkin is COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
KariyaIsGod said:
So? Crosby was not on a line with any of the top guys.

Russia has plent yof good forwards, probably just as many as Canada. That's not their weakness.

Nothing is obvious.
Yep, they haven't been scoring goals like they should be. Semin hasn't been a factor and overall their forwards were pretty average save for Ovechkin, Malkin and Anshakov.
Three forwards doesn't cut it at this level.
Canada on the other hand had plenty of scorers.
If you want any proof, I suggest you go to http://www.iihf.com

These are facts

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
KariyaIsGod said:
Nice opinion... Get some facts

Check this kid :

KariyaIsGod said:
See, that's the problem. Ovechkin is not better, hands down. Crosby outperformed him at this tournament, bottom line.
Opinion (false I might add), not fact.

KariyaIsGod said:
Crosby has been outstanding and really, he has been the creator for most of the offense his line has enjoyed up to this point.
Opinion (that I agree with).

KariyaIsGod said:
Russia has plent yof good forwards, probably just as many as Canada. That's not their weakness.
Opinion (IMO false).

Oh the irony that you call out Fredonnet for stating opinions.
Where are your facts? Like the stats I gave you earlier?
In fact Fredonet gave you a fact (goals scored by Ovechkin so far in WJC) to backup your opinion.
You haven't. Not once.

So once again, I'm not saying by any means Ovechkin will be better, I don't have any idea and betting on prospects is not wise.
But to say Crosby outplayed Ovechkin is completely ridiculous, and to add "hands down" only shows a severe dose of bias and/or ignorance.

Capt Tuttle

Jan 31, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
Evilo said:
????
Ovechkin played on a weak Russian team and has over a point a game. Crosby has played on an impressive canadian team and has exactly a point a game.
How is Crosby outplaying Ovechkin?

How convenient. After all I heard about the great Ovechkin leading the great Russian Jr. team, now all of a sudden they're 'weak'?

Dr_Chimera*

Capt Tuttle said:
How convenient. After all I heard about the great Ovechkin leading the great Russian Jr. team, now all of a sudden they're 'weak'?

Definitely not weak. Just struggling.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Capt Tuttle said:
How convenient to listen to ONE poster who said Russia was as good as last year!
Did you hear it from me? No.
So don't put words in my mouth.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Evilo said:
How convenient to listen to ONE poster who said Russia was as good as last year!

The roster was very good [to me at least] but there was no team [due different reasons, and it is the task for the Russian functionaries to find the answers].

Last edited:

Capt Tuttle

Jan 31, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
Evilo said:
Did you hear it from me? No.
So don't put words in my mouth.

I didn't listen to just 'ONE' poster, there were several predicting great things for perennial medal favourites, Russia. I found your comparison of Crosby on a strong team and Ovechkin on a 'weak' team too inflated to ignore.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Capt Tuttle said:
I didn't listen to just 'ONE' poster, there were several predicting great things for perennial medal favourites, Russia. I found your comparison of Crosby on a strong team and Ovechkin on a 'weak' team too inflated to ignore.
In fact I was responding to a post saying Crosby outplayed Ovechkin.
Nope he didn't. And Ovechkin produced more on a team scoring much less.
That is undeniable.

Sundried TOmato

Oct 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
At Ovechkins present rate of "improvement" he won't make the Russian team next year. So maybe we will never know!
a) Ovechkin will not make the Russian team next year because he'll be playing in the NHL.

b) We WILL know. When both Ovechkin and Crosby have several NHL seasons under their belts.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
Sundried TOmato said:
a) Ovechkin will not make the Russian team next year because he'll be playing in the NHL.

Next year is (maybe) the Lockout! Dude! So it's really possible that he plays for Team Russia!

I don't think Ovechkin will be the better player than Kovalchuk and Crosby has to grow a bit!

Simagin

Nov 18, 2002
THE NEXT ONE #87 said:
Next year is (maybe) the Lockout! Dude! So it's really possible that he plays for Team Russia!

I don't think Ovechkin will be the better player than Kovalchuk and Crosby has to grow a bit!

Switzerland?

typisch Schwiizer, en elende Kanada Fan ;-)

KariyaIsGod*

Evilo said:
Yep, they haven't been scoring goals like they should be. Semin hasn't been a factor and overall their forwards were pretty average save for Ovechkin, Malkin and Anshakov.
Three forwards doesn't cut it at this level.
Canada on the other hand had plenty of scorers.
If you want any proof, I suggest you go to http://www.iihf.com

These are facts

Yes, and how many of these scorers did Crosby play with?

Well his linemates were always Tambellinni/Dixon or Colliton.

Tambellinni got 2 I tihnk and Dixon and Colliton may not have even scored.

Oh, he was playing with the big scorers though...

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
KariyaIsGod said:
Yes, and how many of these scorers did Crosby play with?

Well his linemates were always Tambellinni/Dixon or Colliton.

Tambellinni got 2 I tihnk and Dixon and Colliton may not have even scored.

Oh, he was playing with the big scorers though...

Sorry, but ..... didn't he play in the PP with great mates like Carter, Burns and Coburn???

2 ex. against the Czechs!:

3 - 1 PP1 Canada 9. CARTER, Jeff
(22. BURNS, Brent)
(28. CROSBY, Sidney)

7 - 1 PP1 Canada 29. COBURN, Braydon
(28. CROSBY, Sidney)
(19. TAMBELLINI, Jeff)

KariyaIsGod*

THE NEXT ONE #87 said:
Sorry, but ..... didn't he play in the PP with great mates like Carter, Burns and Coburn???

2 ex. against the Czechs!:

3 - 1 PP1 Canada 9. CARTER, Jeff
(22. BURNS, Brent)
(28. CROSBY, Sidney)

7 - 1 PP1 Canada 29. COBURN, Braydon
(28. CROSBY, Sidney)
(19. TAMBELLINI, Jeff)

Yes, he did but Team Canada didn't get that many powerplays. That wouldn't account for most of his ice time.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
KariyaIsGod said:
Yes, he did but Team Canada didn't get that many powerplays. That wouldn't account for most of his ice time.
You really don't know what to say do you?
Now PP time doesn't count... :shakehead
Simply admit you were wrong in your assessment.
That would be honest and courageous.
Right now you're making it worse every time...

KariyaIsGod*

Evilo said:
You really don't know what to say do you?
Now PP time doesn't count... :shakehead
Simply admit you were wrong in your assessment.
That would be honest and courageous.
Right now you're making it worse every time...

Quote me where I said it doesn't count. I said that most of his ice time was not on the PP and with guys who weren't scoring much.

See, the pathetic thing is... Corsby played far less than Ovechkin and had less PP time than him too, but Crosby still only finished with one less point than him.

Don't put words in my mouth.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
And the WJC's are still pretty irrelevant. For this 'argument' anyways.

Ovechkin is the best undrafted prospect in the world because he has been able to play and have good success in a man's league, the second best talent league in the world in all likelyhood.

Dr_Chimera*

KariyaIsGod said:
Quote me where I said it doesn't count. I said that most of his ice time was not on the PP and with guys who weren't scoring much.

See, the pathetic thing is... Corsby played far less than Ovechkin and had less PP time than him too, but Crosby still only finished with one less point than him.

Don't put words in my mouth.

Not that it means anything, but two less points.

Nigel Dawes dominated this tournament. Jason Botterill won, I think, three gold medals and has incredible totals in the WJC's which amounted to exactly zip to his career.

Crosby had a solid tournament for a guy his age - Ovechkin was so-so, but still looked good, which truly says something about his abilities (5 goals in 6 games really doesn't suck, especially when one is playing in an obviously divided team).

KariyaIsGod*

Ferdonnet said:
Not that it means anything, but two less points.

Nigel Dawes dominated this tournament. Jason Botterill won, I think, three gold medals and has incredible totals in the WJC's which amounted to exactly zip to his career.

Crosby had a solid tournament for a guy his age - Ovechkin was so-so, but still looked good, which truly says something about his abilities (5 goals in 6 games really doesn't suck, especially when one is playing in an obviously divided team).

Come on now man... Jason Botteril is a GOD! Everyone knows that! :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad