Crosby vs Esposito vs Kessel vs Ovechkin vs Stamkos vs Tavares

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
frankly this thread is stupid compairing guys who have been in the nhl for two years to players who are one or two years away from even being drafted. in fact there are a lot of supid threads on these boards asked players to be compaired for no real reason at all.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
frankly this thread is stupid compairing guys who have been in the nhl for two years to players who are one or two years away from even being drafted. in fact there are a lot of supid threads on these boards asked players to be compaired for no real reason at all.

Agreed. Why is Kessel even in this thread. He did nothing in his rookie year to be placed in such high regard as Crosby and Ovechkin.

Why not Staal? Didn't he score over 30 goals in his rookie year? Why not Toews? Didn't he just win his 4th and 5th world championship?

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
this thread is all that is wrong with the expectations of young players in this league.

people who just started watching hockey the last 2 or 3 years got very spoiled with the likes of ovy, malkin, and sid.

kessel still has a ton of work to do- and the others havent even cracked the league yet.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Agreed. Why is Kessel even in this thread. He did nothing in his rookie year to be placed in such high regard as Crosby and Ovechkin.

Why not Staal? Didn't he score over 30 goals in his rookie year? Why not Toews? Didn't he just win his 4th and 5th world championship?

Factual inconsistencies in your post aside, the OP was pretty clear about this thread being about players who were touted as phenoms and #1 picks for their draft class.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
How the hell is Stamkos ahead of Kessel in some of these?

You have never seen him play, so how can you act like people who have seen him are crazy for ranking him ahead of Kessel?

Kessel's top end is still not clear. Stamkos' top end is even less clear. But to suggest they are far apart in terms of their perceived potential, at this point, is wrong.

Stamkos is the odds on choice to be a first overall pick. Kessel was a fifth overall pick. While it's not all that logical to concluse that Stamkos will be better based on where he projects to go in a different draft year, it's far from absurd to suggest people shouldn't put him ahead of Kessel. Kessel was better at 16 than Stamkos is (although, not by much IMO), but Kessel hasn't improved as rapidly as many of his peers have over the last three years. If Stamkos improves at the rate many people expect him to, he will be a better player than Kessel. So without having seen him play, I don't really think it's a fair comment for you to make.

Myself, I would rank Stamkos slightly ahead of Kessel. He's got more of a physical presence around the net, and his knack for scoring is great. He's the best OHL prospect since Joe Thornton (excluding Tavares) and while he plays a very different game than Joe, his overall impact could one day be similar. I wouldn't feel as confident saying that about Kessel.

Crosby

Tavares
Ovechkin

Stamkos
Kessel

I'm not even going to rate Espo. There are half a dozen players in this draft alone who deserve it more. He shouldn't be a part of this thread. Aside from getting the same kind of hype any 16 year old who *might* be a first overall pick in his draft year, I never, EVER heard anyone call him a phenom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->