May 13, 2003
Ontario
Crosby
Ovechkin
Tavares
Kessel
Stamkos
Esposito

Though it's wayyy to early to ask this as 3 guys haven't even been drafted yet. But if I had to "guess" that's how I'd see it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
How the hell is Stamkos ahead of Kessel in some of these?

Tavares I can see. He's on the verge of breaking all sorts of records at a young age in juniors.

My list:

Crosby
Ovechkin
Tavares
Kessel
Stamkos
Esposito

Default101

they all can be star players, each will have their shot at hart trophy's and art rosses, i think Crosby will top them all, Ovechkin to follow, very close to him would be Tavares, which would be a powerful goal scoring type player, except alittle bigger than ovechkin and plays center instaed of wing, Stamkos is more of a skilled player who uses his skating and hands to do the work for him rather that size and power, but he has great shooting accuracy as well, the point production of a guy like Sakic, would be in the cards for him, not sure about the leadership part... Kessel i think will follow up that group with Espo they both are top end players, but neither have the ability to control a game on a regular game-to-game basis, which i believe will keep them behind the rest slightly.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Why is Kessel even in this ?
Why is Espo in this ? He isn't even bound to go number 1 this year in the draft he fell way beyond top 10 also, so why include him over...Kane, Van Reimsdyk, Voracek, Turris ?

Crosby
Ovechkin
Tavares

These 3 are going to be the face of the Hockey no doubt but other honorable mentions that were in the same draft year that are also rookie sensations are:

Kopitar
Malkin
Wolski
Stastny

I'd take any of the top 4 over Kessel anyday and Espo no doubt

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
The 6 supposed "phenoms" of their draft year. Career potential.

Crosby
Ovechkin
Tavares

Stamkos
Kessel

Esposito
Phenoms of their draft year? Esposito and Kessel were only consitered that about a year before the draft. By the time Kessel's draft came around he definitely wasn't 'the phenom' of his draft. And clearly Esposito isn't either. Though they seem like they will be it seems pretty early to be declaring Stamkos and Tavares the phenoms of their draft.

Yann

Apr 4, 2007
Ontario
Not all really phenoms, right now AO because he is proven is ahead of tavares but that i think will chnage soon enough

Crosby
Ovechkin
Tavares

Kessel
Stamkos

Esposito

Stamkos i think will get ahead of Kessel some time, Espo has the potential to rank among Stam and Kessel, but he hasnt showed signs of reaching that

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I said "supposed" phenoms. Meaning at one point, they were or still are the next big thing.

pouskin74*

for me that list suppost to be like this-- crosby,malkin,ovechkin,tavares,filatov,kopitar

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
for me that list suppost to be like this-- crosby,malkin,ovechkin,tavares,filatov,kopitar

so you think filatov is the second best forward prospect in the world???:shakehead

my list.

crosby
ovechkin
tavares
kessel
stamkos
esposito

tavares has a good chanse of being #2 on the list in a feaw years, but its kind of unfair to put him up against crosby and ovechkin right now.

i cant for a certain guy (not going to say the name) to come in here and say.

kessel
crosby
ovechkin
tavares
stamkos
esposito

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
LOL @ Ovechkin having more potential than Crosby.

Gotta give the Ovy boosters something to cling to.

The reality of Crosby's dominance this year as predicted by every discerning hockey fan has got to be a cold, wet, smelly slap in the mush.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
How the hell is Stamkos ahead of Kessel in some of these?

IMO Stamkos will be a more dynamic player than Kessel.

Stamkos scored 92 points this year as a rookie, 15 more than Tavares did in his rookie year (albiet Tavares was 1 year younger). I honestly don't think he's that far off of Tavares as far as he looks as a prospect.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Gotta give the Ovy boosters something to cling to.

The reality of Crosby's dominance this year as predicted by every discerning hockey fan has got to be a cold, wet, smelly slap in the mush.

Positively frigid.

The funny thing is that Ovechkin boosters now seem to be adopting the mantra that Crosby boosters had. When Ovechkin was better in 2005-2006, unbiased Pens fans tipped their hat to him but said because Crosby is so much younger, in a few years he'll be better. Well, it happened a lot sooner than "a few years". Now that Ovechkin boosters clearly can't claim he's the better player, they're trying to act like he has more potential, which is simply absurd, considering Crosby's still younger AND he has the better stats.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Positively frigid.

The funny thing is that Ovechkin boosters now seem to be adopting the mantra that Crosby boosters had. When Ovechkin was better in 2005-2006, unbiased Pens fans tipped their hat to him but said because Crosby is so much younger, in a few years he'll be better. Well, it happened a lot sooner than "a few years". Now that Ovechkin boosters clearly can't claim he's the better player, they're trying to act like he has more potential, which is simply absurd, considering Crosby's still younger AND he has the better stats.

Fortunately, that comparison was put to bed about halfway through the season, capped by OvechkinDomination's heartrending admission of defeat.

AO's a fine player, and everything indicates he'll continue to be among the league's elite for the foreseeable future; that will have to be enough, because Crosby, already the class of the NHL, hasn't given any indication that he's going to slow down any time soon.

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
Crosby was the best skater in the league this year, but to be fair to OV Crosby did have better players. I know that he would still be good with out guys like Malkin. Just like Gretzky would have been great with out Kurri, but it didn't hurt. I really think Crosby and Ovechkin will be the two best players in the league for a while.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
this is quickly turning into another crosby-ovechkin blood fest

and for the poster that put malkin as teh 2nd best *phenom* kopitar is the better OVERALL player in terms of intangibles, personality, speed, defense, charachter. the only factor that i see malkin being a better player than kopitar is the fact that hes a way better sniper, and thats it, oh yeah and maybe he's just 1 inch taller -_- and why is filatov in this? can it be said that ovechkin has reached his potential? not becuase he had less production last season than his rookie year, but becuase he plays no different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad