Crosby & the 2005 entry draft question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egghammer

Feb 21, 2004
London, ON
If there is no 2005 entry draft, would Sidney Crosby be an Unrestricted Free Agent after 1 year? Similar to a player not being drafted and being signed as a free agent by any team (not sure of the actual time frame that they become free agents, 1 year later, when the draft is done and you're not drafted, etc).

If this is the case and he becomes a free agent after whatever amount of time, who signs him, for how much and would it be possible to sign him before the Lockout is over because he would not be a part of the NHLPA as of yet having never played an NHL game.

Vic Rattlehead*

It would not be fair to the lower budget teams. Detroit, Toronto, New York, Philadelphia, and Colorado would go after many of the top tier players.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
NHL isn't going to let the highest bidder have him.

A draft for the 85 eligible players will be held in some form whether it be in June of 2005 or whenever the new CBA is in place.

Egghammer

Feb 21, 2004
London, ON
Is there an age limit when an undrafted player would be eligible to become a free agent?

If this lockout goes on for more than a year and the 2005 entry draft is missed, would players become free agents at a certain age. Similar to any undrafted player from previous years being free agents (I don't know if this happens automatically or if it is when they reach a cerain age).

Technically Crosby is not a part of the NHLPA and therefore is not being locked out, so if this lockout drags on, is it possible that any team could offer him a contract and if so, which team do you think would get him and for how much?

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Egghammer said:
Technically Crosby is not a part of the NHLPA and therefore is not being locked out, so if this lockout drags on, is it possible that any team could offer him a contract and if so, which team do you think would get him and for how much?
He would go to Montreal for $7 Million per year for 5 years. Montreal is his favorite team, and he would give them a discount. This is all hypothetical, and I highley doubt your theory happens, the NHL just wouldn't allow it.

FlyersGuy69

Jul 9, 2002
purgatory
Visit site
I am very interested to see how this all gets worked out. nobody does have an exact answer for what will happen to the draft, the order, the players entering the draft, so on and so forth...if the season is canceled.

but, I do agree that if the players were declared free-agents, all out pandemonium would happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad