Crosby rookie card

Status
Not open for further replies.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Will Crosby's "official rookie" card be out this fall or is it not until he plays a
season? Can anyone give me some tips as to what brand to buy and how to get it?

littleD

pei fan said:
Will Crosby's "official rookie" card be out this fall or is it not until he plays a
season? Can anyone give me some tips as to what brand to buy and how to get it?

As of 2000-2001, no player can be on a NHL/NHLPA licensed card until they've played in a regular season game. For goalies, they have to be at least a backup before they can be on a card.

Crosby's first non-redemption card will be in Upper Deck Series 1. The product will come out sometime in early November. The card will be very, VERY expensive at first. A product that was released last year, called SP Authentic had rookie redemptions. As soon as Pittsburgh won the draft lottery, Pittsburgh redemptions were selling for up to $500. And those won't even be "official" rookie cards.

Crosby will have some lower end RCs. Upper Deck is releasing a product called Powerplay. It comes out next week I think. This will have rookie redemptions, but they will count as official RCs.

Where to buy - card/hobby shops or eBay.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
pei fan said:
Will Crosby's "official rookie" card be out this fall or is it not until he plays a season? Can anyone give me some tips as to what brand to buy and how to get it?

You say "rookie card" like there will only be one. He'll have about 45 different ones, from different brands released throughout the year, and from different companies. Some will be autographed, some will be jersey cards, some will be both, many will be serial numbered, some will be plain in the cheap brands.

And of course that's just the "normal" cards. There'll be hundreds of parallels, inserts, and memorabilia cards. As for brands, SP Authentic is usually seen as the most desired one, SPx a little behind hit.

That said, what are your motives here? If it's profit, there's likely none to be had here. These cards are going to be selling for hundreds of dollars right from the beginning, and their value will almost surely never be higher than it is at the beginning. The only profit in cards is usually by the sellers, who've been lucky enough to pull the cards in the first place. And of course, they usually had to spend thousands busting wax to find the card in the first place, so they usually don't profit either.

If it's collecting, then some advice is to decide what you want to collect and stick to only that. You won't be able to collect all of his cards like in the old days. Way too many low numbered inserts for that kind of thing. Even his base cards are going to be way too expensive for that.

So, I recommend waiting until an *attractive*, moderately priced card gets released, and then buy that one. I find a lot of the rookie cards are simply butt ugly, and their value simply comes from the rarity, not the beauty. I'd rather have a more common nice looking card than a rare ugly thing, but that's just me.

TVanek26*

Crosby's most expensive RC will be in UD Premier (Ultimate) Collection.The SP Authentic signed patches aren't true rookies.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Thanks guys, that sounds like excellent advice.Where did the days go that you
could just go out and buy some hockey cards and get some bubblegum to boot
with just pocket change? :dunno:
These days it seems like you need a law degree just to get your head around
all the nuances,not to mention a ton of dough. It's enough to make a grown
man cry. :cry:

P.S. little D can you explain the diferrence between redemption and
non-redemption cards.Also desn't anybody sell the cards in packs anymore and you can get lucky and get the card you want?

KariyaIsGod*

pei fan said:
Thanks guys, that sounds like excellent advice.Where did the days go that you
could just go out and buy some hockey cards and get some bubblegum to boot
with just pocket change? :dunno:
These days it seems like you need a law degree just to get your head around
all the nuances,not to mention a ton of dough. It's enough to make a grown
man cry. :cry:

P.S. little D can you explain the diferrence between redemption and
non-redemption cards.Also desn't anybody sell the cards in packs anymore and you can get lucky and get the card you want?

Redemption rookies are actually a two step process usually used if the product is released before the players can actually be considered rookies. What happens is, you'll buy a box or a pack and you'll get a card without any names or picutres of players on it saying "Congratulations, you've just found rookie redemption card #6" etc... Then you need to send that redemption cardm in and they will eventually ship you the corresponding rookie card according to which redemption number you have.

No redemption rookies are just the normal rookie cards you pull straight from packs or boxes.

The problem with buying packs is that they are so expensive and the odds of getting something good are so little. So box buying is not opnly better value but you are also guaranteed at least the chance to get some great cards. The only downside is you need a lot of cash to buy boxes.

Hope that helps.

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
Good advise from someone thats been in the hobby for over 15 years!

Do not, I repeat, do not buy his cards right off the bat. 99.9% of the time, the price you would pay for a rookie card when it first releases is the highest you will ever pay. Crosby's cards are going to go through the roof on hype alone. Don't waste youre money right off the bat.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
JayRice66 said:
Good advise from someone thats been in the hobby for over 15 years!

Do not, I repeat, do not buy his cards right off the bat. 99.9% of the time, the price you would pay for a rookie card when it first releases is the highest you will ever pay. Crosby's cards are going to go through the roof on hype alone. Don't waste youre money right off the bat.
Exactly, the 04/05 SP Authentic redemption won't be worth more than 40 dollars in a few years.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I have 2 of his cards from Be a player, the only well known card company to release cards during the lock-out. I have the normal insert and the update set one. Both are nice cards.

Every year i buy every players rookie card, no matter who they are. I've been doing this for the past 4 years or so.

I suggest you try and buy boxes or packs. Buying his card outright will cost you an arm, leg, and probably some reproductive organs.

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
pei fan said:
P.S. little D can you explain the diferrence between redemption and non-redemption cards.Also desn't anybody sell the cards in packs anymore and you can get lucky and get the card you want?

I'm afraid those days are over my friend.

Getting a card you want by buying packs is almost slim to none. In years past upper deck would release series 1 with sometime 40 rookies in the set. Seeded at a 1:4 ratio. Meaning, 1 young guns rookie in every 4 packs. The only problem is. 45 of the rookies are usually junk. There usually long shot players. Players that rank very low on a teams prospect list.

But this year things are different. Why? Because of the large amount of rookies entering the league this year.

This years upper deck series 1 is going to contain 42 young guns rookies. At the old 1:4 rate. The only problem is, popular rumor has it that Upper Deck is going to split the larger amount of rookies between series 1 and series 2. Meaning you may be able to get Crosby's rookie in series 1. But getting only 6 rookies per box will make it a very slim chance that you get his card. And ive heard Ovechkins rookie will be in series 2 to try and maxamize sales of both products.

If I would you, and you wanted Crosby's rookie. I would fork the money over for his rookie by itself. Cause i'll tell you right now. I'm a huge card collector. I buy boxes everytime somethig new releases. And it really disapoints the hell out of you when you drop $100 on a box and get nothing out of it.

What i'm saying is, if youre looking for a single player, buying his rookie alone is the way to go.

Now as far as redemptions go. There no different than any other rookie. There still true rookie cards. The only difference in, like stated above, if you buy a box that releases before the season. You get a card with a # and that number will later correspond with the rookie you recieve.

But say, you buy Upper Deck MVP(a very good set for low budget collectors.). You get a redemption card lettered from A-C. In MVP there are 30 rookies. At least this is the way they are thinking about doing it. There will be 30 rookies and 3 redemption cards. So if you get redemption A. You get 10 rookies, usually the fist 10 in that rookie set. Thats why its a great deal for budget collectors.

The only real different between in the box rookies and redemption cards is that fact that redemption have to be mailed to the company and take time to recieve. Where in the pack cards are obviously in the pack.

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
Vatican Roulette said:
I have 2 of his cards from Be a player, the only well known card company to release cards during the lock-out. I have the normal insert and the update set one. Both are nice cards.

Every year i buy every players rookie card, no matter who they are. I've been doing this for the past 4 years or so.

I suggest you try and buy boxes or packs. Buying his card outright will cost you an arm, leg, and probably some reproductive organs.

Thats actually bad advice. If the guy isn't a all out collector. Then the inserts and game used cards are useless to him.

Upper Deck Series 1 is going to run right around 60-70 dollars a box. You may get lucky and get a crosby rookie. But its doubtful.

Yes, the crosby rookie may very well cost you 80-100 bucks. But at least you get what you want.

LOL, and this is advice coming from a guy that has 4 boxes pre ordered.

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
Also, topic creator. I'll make you a deal. If I manage to pull 2 crosby rookies. I will sell you the double for half or less of the book value. It seems like you would love to have his card, so i'll make you a really good deal if I pull a double.

chum

Feb 27, 2002
JayRice66 said:
What i'm saying is, if youre looking for a single player, buying his rookie alone is the way to go.

this is also my opinion on what pei should do based on what i know.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
JayRice66 said:
Also, topic creator. I'll make you a deal. If I manage to pull 2 crosby rookies. I will sell you the double for half or less of the book value. It seems like you would love to have his card, so i'll make you a really good deal if I pull a double.
Sounds good to me.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Sports cards have very little secondary value. I have been collecting avidly since childhood and have around 50k worth of rookies and inserts but I will be luck to get 15 percent of that.

Anyways, I enjoy opening the hobby packs but to get a good card you have to spend 140 bucks at least for the box. I have done well in recent years pulling several Kovlechuck's, Frolov's, Nash's in the 50-200 dollar range.

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
no name said:
Sports cards have very little secondary value. I have been collecting avidly since childhood and have around 50k worth of rookies and inserts but I will be luck to get 15 percent of that.

Anyways, I enjoy opening the hobby packs but to get a good card you have to spend 140 bucks at least for the box. I have done well in recent years pulling several Kovlechuck's, Frolov's, Nash's in the 50-200 dollar range.

Yes, the value is low. But I don't think the topic creator is planning on buying then selling. Its a great hobby to get into. But if you want to make money, then you need to stay away.

Ive had alot of luck when buying boxes. But ive also paid over $150 for a box and got less than 50 - 60 back in value. Its like gambling.

But I enjoy the hobby and i'll keep collecting. Ive also managed to pull a few cards that book for a couple hundred.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Regarding hockey cards this year there is some good news and some bad news...

It appears that Be A Player/In the Game might be pulling out of hockey, leaving only one card company behind, Upper Deck who has been notorious at producing expensive products that give little in return.

The other bad news is those SP Authentic Redemptions might not even be for Crosby's rookie card. There are 30 different redemptions, one for each team and then like 15 others for other rookies. These 15 are wild cards and speculation is that the cards could be another rookie from a team that already has a redemption.

This is a huge year, though, for hockey. There is a ton of solid rookies coming through (Lehtonen and Zherdev have rookie cards already) and so it will be a huge collecting year for everyone collecting cards.

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Regarding hockey cards this year there is some good news and some bad news...

It appears that Be A Player/In the Game might be pulling out of hockey, leaving only one card company behind, Upper Deck who has been notorious at producing expensive products that give little in return.

The other bad news is those SP Authentic Redemptions might not even be for Crosby's rookie card. There are 30 different redemptions, one for each team and then like 15 others for other rookies. These 15 are wild cards and speculation is that the cards could be another rookie from a team that already has a redemption.

This is a huge year, though, for hockey. There is a ton of solid rookies coming through (Lehtonen and Zherdev have rookie cards already) and so it will be a huge collecting year for everyone collecting cards.

Actually, be a player/itg didn't pull out of hockey. Nor are they planning to. The NHL isn't giving anyone else as of right now a license to make hockey cards. ITG is however bringing out a new Prospect & Heros set. Which they are aloud to do without a license.

Its definately going to be a huge year. Cause you have players like Crosby. Ovechkin, Jeff Carter, Dion Phaneuf, Thomas Vanek, Zack Parise, Corey Perry, Eric Fehr, Rob Shremp, Mike Richards, and more could be in these sets this season. Its going to be a great year.

littleD

Some major uppage to show anyone interested what Crosby's first rookie card will look like.

SidneyCrosby.jpg

Upper Deck Series 1, which the above card will be in, is released on November 10th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->