Crosby rejects $7.5M WHA offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
Til the End of Time said:
Why the hell does everyone hate the WHA? Aren't we supposed to be hockey fans, not just fans of the NHL?

As far as someone hating Crosby, it's just as perplexing as worshipping him like some do.

Because the WHA, is a joke and a blemish on hockey in general.

Having drafts with no GM's or arenas.
Hamilton offering a contract to Crosby even though Toronto drafted him.

The whole thing is a big joke, I hope it will fail, hell I know it will fail so this is a waste of typing.

Last edited:

Prendan Brust

Jul 31, 2003
Québec
John Vanbiesbrouck said:
Because the WHA, is a joke and a blemish on hockey in general.

Having drafts with no GM's or arenas.
Halifax offering a contract to Crosby even though Toronto drafted him.

The whole thing is a big joke, I hope it will fail, hell I know it will fail so this is a waste of typing.

First, Hamilton offered a contract, second Toronto's franchise folded...

Vic Rattlehead*

ofhdhdy said:
I dont really care, I hate Crosby. Do any of you guys actually like him? He's just a hotdog and I hope someone ends his career before he hits his prime
You must feel very tough :shakehead

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
ofhdhdy said:
I dont really care, I hate Crosby. Do any of you guys actually like him? He's just a hotdog and I hope someone ends his career before he hits his prime
You are sick.That someone would even make such a statement is a fine example of the sorry state that hockey is in.

Zetterberg4Captain*

what are you talking about. Just because I hate CROSBY its a bad thing. Im just saying. I dont really like Gretzky either. Also how am I sick when I say I hate a hockey player, you are sick just for saying that.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Hopkinator said:
Good. :handclap:

Crosby showed that not everything is about money. :)

or perhaps Crosby believes that the new NHL CBA will not fix the loopholes in the rookie max category, so he will make more in the NHL.

bonus structure's saw Kovalchuk make around $4 million a season in his rookie contract.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
ofhdhdy said:
what are you talking about. Just because I hate CROSBY its a bad thing. Im just saying. I dont really like Gretzky either. Also how am I sick when I say I hate a hockey player, you are sick just for saying that.

They're referring to what you said about hoping he suffers a career-ending injury. I don't particularly care for Crosby, either, but what exactly has he done to merit you wishing for that to happen?

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Another possible reason for turning it down: even if they really could pay him that amount, how much money would he be losing in potential endorsements by being stuck in a low-profile league for three years? His rookie salary in the NHL might be limited to a certain number, but the number of companies willing to throw money at the "next Gretzky" sure won't. That list will be a lot shorter, though, if he's only playing in 4-5 cities a year, mostly in smaller Canadian markets, and is rarely on TV.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
ofhdhdy said:
Yes ofhdhdy,it is a VERY BAD THING when you claim hatred for someone and
hope that someone will end his career.That might even be considered promoting
hatred and since it's a criminal offence I guess it would be a bad thing .I 'm sure
I can guess what you don't like about Gretzky ;skill,finesse,and class.

Zetterberg4Captain*

The only reason Gretzky got as many points as he did is because no one would hit him. He was weak and if anyone did hit him he wouldnt have even reached 1800 points. I remember seeing this one guy just crush Gretzky and he never played another shift in the NHL and he had skill to.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
ofhdhdy said:
The only reason Gretzky got as many points as he did is because no one would hit him. He was weak and if anyone did hit him he wouldnt have even reached 1800 points. I remember seeing this one guy just crush Gretzky and he never played another shift in the NHL and he had skill to.

You should maybe stop with this kind of stuff while you're ahead.

Prendan Brust

Jul 31, 2003
Québec
ofhdhdy said:
What's this guy name? I'm curious...

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
WHurricane16 said:
I find that statement hilarious. What would you do if you were offered the money?

I don't give me "but" stuff either.

My ass would be "I'll drive the Zamboni too, boss!" Dude, don't let the wool athletes drape over your eyes fool you, it's always about the money. If one team would pay him a bit more money he'll jump all over it.

You're forgetting that there is a good chance he'd never even get paid, or get paid only a fraction of the money. The league is complete shambles, they have no players, no coaches, no GMs--yet still had a draft, no arenas, fewer and fewer teams each month, one team doesn't even have an owner (IIRC)... nothing to indicate to me that they would be able to deliver on a contract of any amount.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Dr Love said:
You're forgetting that there is a good chance he'd never even get paid, or get paid only a fraction of the money. The league is complete shambles, they have no players, no coaches, no GMs--yet still had a draft, no arenas, fewer and fewer teams each month, one team doesn't even have an owner (IIRC)... nothing to indicate to me that they would be able to deliver on a contract of any amount.

Exactly my thought. The WHA would never be able to pay Crosby $2,000,000. They can't get off the ground, and the whole league stinks of "fraud".

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
Jets4Life said:
Exactly my thought. The WHA would never be able to pay Crosby $2,000,000. They can't get off the ground, and the whole league stinks of "fraud".

The reason they can't get off the ground is because it's so badly organised I doubt it's because of the money. I mean common, they drafted so many players and I doubt even a third of them are actually willing to sign a contract in the WHA. This thing's never gonna work. :shakehead

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
i also applaud crosby for not running at the $$...

everyone that actually know him say how great of a kid he is and i think this shows the type of character he has...

i always laugh when people who have never spoken to a kid or been near him label a kid a punk or a hotdog and then when people who actually dispute that they still think he is a punk or a hotdog because apparantly the voices in their heads are more credible then people who actually know the facts.

The Flash

Apr 24, 2002
Korea (South of Cour
Visit site
ofhdhdy said:

Post of the year!!!!

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

Category: Comedy

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Baron said:
You think he never wanted to play hockey? I think the kid wants to play hockey at place where he will develop the best. It WHA wasn't seen as a good place for 2,5 million a year. Maybe the contract prevented him to play in the NHL while it was effective. Maybe he was afraid to get hurt in a man league, who knows? It surely isn't, as some posters here try to imply, because he thinks the league is a joke... Any team that offers that kind of money to a young player is pretty serious IMO. Espacially when you consider that they garanteed him 2 million even if the league fold.

I think it's pretty obviously that the contract would not have let him leave to go to the NHL. Why would they put that in there just to lose him?

He's said that he wants to play in the NHL, and I'm sure he wants to do it as soon as possible. Why delay that by playing in a sideshow?

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
Seachd said:
I think it's pretty obviously that the contract would not have let him leave to go to the NHL. Why would they put that in there just to lose him?

He's said that he wants to play in the NHL, and I'm sure he wants to do it as soon as possible. Why delay that by playing in a sideshow?

that is probebly one of the things that didn't make him sign. If there would of been an escape clause to make him go to the NHL then it would have been useless.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Don_Cherry said:
I agree it's a good choice by Crosby, not sure if I'd be able to walk away from that but it is good to see his dream of playing in the NHL is more important than making a quick fortune, he knows his payday is coming but it's still got to be tough to say no.

Let's all hope he doesn't get hurt this year, or that will be the biggest "I told you so" ever. I think it's pretty silly to turn that down.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
pavel said:
You've got that right. How did the Hamilton franchise make him the offer when he was drafted by Toronto?

Just like with the Nordiks, after they were denied a franchise, their draft picks became free agents.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
LaVal575 said:
or perhaps Crosby believes that the new NHL CBA will not fix the loopholes in the rookie max category, so he will make more in the NHL.

bonus structure's saw Kovalchuk make around $4 million a season in his rookie contract.

Maybe he just thinks he can beat Gretzky's records and is obsessed with that. Doesn't care about money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->