Crosby question + 2005 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
Staal is looking like more of a top 20 pick, while lamb will go top 40. I can really see a team possibly trying to draft the two considering they'll be playing together on the same line this upcoming season in Sudbury and showed some chemistry last season for the Wolves.

Jysk

Jul 3, 2004
Skellefteå Sweden
The team i coached for 2 years played against Alexander Sundström a few times. He is relly a great prospect but he is lasy at times and can have a bad attitude. But he can bring you out off your seats with his speed an puck handling ...

Zoran Manojlovic

Apr 22, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Visit site
rivercanyon said:
Madsen is good. I hold Starkov(another danish player born 87) as the better one.

Madsen would not be in my top 5 with Swedish players. But he is very close.

I think that you are wrong on Madsen. He is the second best prospect in Sweden for the 2005 draft without any doubt. There is a big drop of after himself and Bergfors who is the clear cut #1 for now. But I think that Madsen could challenge Bergfors in this season.

He is a VERY smart and skilled player with good size and skating. He also has good attitude. A prospect with those kinds of attributes has all the chances in the world to be a top-60 pick or even higher, (top-40 IMO).

I have also talked to some of the NHL scouts and they are pretty high on him. Redline is also high on him if I’m not mistaken. He will be the highest drafted Dane ever if everything goes as planned this season.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Thats interesting. But thats wrong. Having seen of course a lot more games than you and forming my own opinion instead of what i read what redline reported... Madsen didn´t get as much ice time in J20 as Starkov did for example.
He was also cut from the team when J20 playoffs started, when Fredrik Pettersson(also born 87 in Frölunda) took his place. Starkov was a regular in J20 team, and could dominate himself on the ice, holding the puck with magnificent stickhandling in J20 SuperElit. Madsen had problems in j20 SuperElit and was outscored
by not only Starkov in the same team among players born 87 but also Mattias Ritola
(who also is better than Madsen).
Fredrik Pettersson had as many points as Madsen had, but Fredrik played 11 games less. Fredrik Pettersson is also better than Madsen who had probs in J20 SuperElit(especially defensive aspect of the game), something i saw. Madsen was cut from the J20 playoffs where Fredrik Pettersson took his place. Fredrik Pettersson also totally outscored Madsen in J18 playoffs and was by far better and important when Frölunda won gold. But he got really nice talent, and who knows how he progresses. Madsen is about as good as Patrik Zackrisson, another player born 87 in Frölunda. And he would definately not be the second best player born 87 in sweden if he was a dane. You also have Tom Wandell, Alexander Sundström, Johan Nilsson to count etc etc, and Madsen isn´t even the second best player born 87 in Frölunda. Starkov, Ritola and Pettersson are three players who are better, Madsen is tied fourth on the team with Patrik Zackrisson. You would know, if you had seen them play all these games.

Madsen won´t be able to challenge Bergfors at all this season. Madsen will play third or fourth line hockey in j20(Anders Eriksson, Sebastian Karlsson and
Patrik Zackrisson will be centering the three first lines), probably producing
a lot of points though in J20 SuperElit, but Bergfors will probably see SEL-time,
something Madsen is far far away from. This being said, Frölunda has very strong players born 87 and Madsen is still a very talented player and could end up the best of them all in the end(who the hell knows), but I don´t think so.

Last edited:

Zoran Manojlovic

Apr 22, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Visit site
Obviously you have seen these guys more than I have, but I can tell you this, I have seen them enough to make a very strong statement.

Even though I really love all the Frölunda prospects, Pettersson is a bit of a personal favorite of mine as well as Patrik is, and I also like Karlsson, but you have to realize that they don´t have the same potential as Madsen has. You look at those players and talk about what they´ll do next season in the J-20, while I talk about theire future (?) NHL careers maybe 5 years from now. You have to understand that some players can dominate a junior league and than dissapear when they become seniors.

Pettersson would have been a top-10 pick in the draft had he been +6 foot, but he isn´t, the same goes for Patrik who is very smart and skilled but he is a bit on the small side as well. And not to talk about Strakov who is to much "Russian" in his playing style, tends to float a bit to much, isn´t physical or aggressive.

Also I don´t depend on Redline because I don´t have Redline, I only mentioned it becose I have heard that they had ranked him high for the 2005 draft. I have much better sources when it comes down to prospects as I´am a very good, let´s say; "friend" with some of the NHL chief european scouts.

In the end everyone has theire own opinions. Lest year we did agree on Söderberg, this year we don´t agree about Madsen.. ;)

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Mr. Zzzz said:
would have been a top-10 pick in the draft had he been +6 foot, but he isn´t, the same goes for Patrik who is very smart and skilled but he is a bit on the small side as well.

just a minor note Zoran. Madsen is only 2-3 cm taller than Patrik, and hardly a giant at 6'0" (183 cm). I for one don't think Zackrisson is a top 10 prospect (not even close), even if he was over 6 feet, but you make it sound like Madsen is actually of really good size.. while he is of below average length.

Speaking of Fredrik Pettersson, it seems he has grown quite a bit and is now 175 cm, woho! :)

Zoran Manojlovic

Apr 22, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Visit site
Predatore said:
just a minor note Zoran. Madsen is only 2-3 cm taller than Patrik, and hardly a giant at 6'0" (183 cm). I for one don't think Zackrisson is a top 10 prospect (not even close), even if he was over 6 feet, but you make it sound like Madsen is actually of really good size.. while he is of below average length.

Speaking of Fredrik Pettersson, it seems he has grown quite a bit and is now 175 cm, woho! :)

That was a missunderstanding, I didn´t mean that Patrik is, or would have been a top-10 talent, that was about Pettersson. On the other hand you`re wrong about Madsen´s size, he is a lot taller that you say. He is 6-foot-2 now from that latest reports that I recived.

I hoped that Fredrik would grow a lot during the off season, to about 6-foot.. but nahh.. ;)

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Mr. Zzzz said:
He is 6-foot-2 now from that latest reports that I recived.

My bad if IIHF's figures from the U18 WJC (list him at 187cm) are correct, because I guess those are the ones you "received". :)

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
Hey Newfie Bruin. Do you really think Bourret can go as high as being a 1st rounder? Cause I know he hasn't played nearly as well as he was expected to since he started playing in the Q.

Last edited:

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Mr. Zzzz said:
Obviously you have seen these guys more than I have, but I can tell you this, I have seen them enough to make a very strong statement.

Even though I really love all the Frölunda prospects, Pettersson is a bit of a personal favorite of mine as well as Patrik is, and I also like Karlsson, but you have to realize that they don´t have the same potential as Madsen has. You look at those players and talk about what they´ll do next season in the J-20, while I talk about theire future (?) NHL careers maybe 5 years from now. You have to understand that some players can dominate a junior league and than dissapear when they become seniors.

Im aware of that. But Petterson etc aren´t that kind of players. Future, future, future. Yes, you know Madsen might become better than those players, or he won´t. I´m not too sure he will be a better player, just because he posseses a bigger frame. And im really fed up with the size-obsession in NHL.
But you talk about potential. What kind of potential have you spotted that makes you so sure of this?
I can tell you, in regard of technical skills. Starkov is definately ahead, so is Pettersson and so is Zackrisson and Ritola as well. Then we have speed. Pettersson is once again ahead and Zackrisson too. Madsen is ahead in speed and acceleration than Starkov and Ritola though. Then we have hockeysense. Very very hard to determine who has better. I hold Ritola though as the one with the best hockeysense in regard of reading play and making smart plays. The rest are on the same level which is very good.

The only thing you got going is that 1) Madsen is bigger 2) You talked to a NHL-scout who said he had a feeling of Madsen and 3) Kyle Woodlief wrote it on USAtoday.com.

Madsen is fast with puck though and has nice accelaration with good control of the puck. But you saying he is much more talented is bs. In regards of talent, these other players on the Frölunda is just as much talented or more talented than Madsen. Period.

Zoran Manojlovic

Apr 22, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Visit site
rivercanyon said:
Im aware of that. But Petterson etc aren´t that kind of players. Future, future, future. Yes, you know Madsen might become better than those players, or he won´t. I´m not too sure he will be a better player, just because he posseses a bigger frame. And im really fed up with the size-obsession in NHL.
But you talk about potential. What kind of potential have you spotted that makes you so sure of this?
I can tell you, in regard of technical skills. Starkov is definately ahead, so is Pettersson and so is Zackrisson and Ritola as well. Then we have speed. Pettersson is once again ahead and Zackrisson too. Madsen is ahead in speed and acceleration than Starkov and Ritola though. Then we have hockeysense. Very very hard to determine who has better. I hold Ritola though as the one with the best hockeysense in regard of reading play and making smart plays. The rest are on the same level which is very good.

The only thing you got going is that 1) Madsen is bigger 2) You talked to a NHL-scout who said he had a feeling of Madsen and 3) Kyle Woodlief wrote it on USAtoday.com.

Madsen is fast with puck though and has nice accelaration with good control of the puck. But you saying he is much more talented is bs. In regards of talent, these other players on the Frölunda is just as much talented or more talented than Madsen. Period.

Once again, that is your opinion. You describe the players pretty well, but you can´t seem to see the whole picture. Madsen is a natural talent and possesses abilities that you can´t teach. He has a very good combination of size and skills. He has good skating ability, puckskills, hockey sense, vision and to top it of attitude. Now if you take a look at the other players that you mention all of them have some of these sttributes, BUT none has all of them. That is the potential I´am talking about.

I´am not saying that he will be the next Gretzky or Lemieux, hell he might never play in the NHL but right now he looks like a better prospect for the NHL in the long term than the other players that you mention, IMO.

I don´t know if you don´t want to or doasn´t realize the fact that size doas matter in hockey, especially in the NHL. Sure there are players like Samsonov, St. Louis... but the majority of the players are + 6-foot..

I personally don´t care much about what Redline says, but there are people around here that do and that is why I mentioned his comments regarding Madsen. Also the fact that I have talked to NHL scouts regarding Madsen doasn´t change my personal opinion on him. I have followed my own instincts and I have come pretty far with that. :)

Vic Rattlehead*

Newfie Bruin said:
The first day of the draft is dynamite. Frequently i am shifting players by sometimes 10-15 spots because the skill level is so deep. Teams having lots of 1-3 round draft picks will be very happy 5 years down the road
Like Boston? Our compensation picks

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
jacklours said:
Hey Newfie Bruin. Do you really think Bourret can go as high as being a 1st rounder? Cause I know he hasn't played nearly as well as he was expected to since he started playing in the Q.

Bourret brings alot more to the table than just offense, he is super gritty, throws nice hits, does alot of dirty work, has a super good work ethic and plays defense but he is capable at throwing some nice hits. He has great offense to add to his game as well. IMO he will be a 1st rounder. This year he should put up around 80 to 90 points while playing great all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad