Crosby-Kessel beef. Fact or fiction?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I posted this in the Penguins forum, thought I might get an answer here too:

Beyond the one story related by Jack Johnson about Kessel's overbearing mother hassling Sid and then having to eat some serious crow, is there any evidence at all of a problem between Crosby and Kessel? Personally, I think this whole rumor is likely just a variation of that story embellished and spun out of control, but if anyone has any info to the contrary, I'd like to see it. I can't see Phil getting drafted by the Pens if he's got genuine friction with Sid.

By the way, if your idea of a useful post constitutes "LOL! I herd Crosby TOTALLY hates Kessle! brb", you can stop typing now.

True North

Jan 10, 2006
Vancouver
I read that at the 2005 WJC's, Crosby and Kessel hooked up one night but Phil didn't call the next day so Sidney started to cry.

I think that's what started it.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Highly skilled players on opposing teams often consider each other rivals. Especially as teenagers playing in a league where they are both head and shoulders above the majority. Throw in an annoying hockey mom and the motivation to shut her up goes way up. But I doubt they even know each other personally. To my knowledge they have never played with each other anywhere, so fleeting moments on the ice is probably the extent of their relationship.

A lot of growing up has happened since they were 15 years old and as young professionals I'm sure they would have absolutely no problem getting along and working towards a common goal, should the Pens pick Kessel.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
It was just one story. I do not think anything else has ever come up between the two. Same thing with Skille-Kessel stuff. I think that hatchet is buried. As both at least looked to play well together at the last u18 game. And with JJ. I think it was Kessel, Stoa, Frazee, Mueller and EJ that hung out and JJ was not one of those guys. Just kids in groups.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Canuck5056 said:
I read that at the 2005 WJC's, Crosby and Kessel hooked up one night but Phil didn't call the next day so Sidney started to cry.

No way, the only person who could make Sid cry is K3EPTOK.

GernerPSU

Jun 4, 2006
State College
MN_Gopher said:
It was just one story. I do not think anything else has ever come up between the two. Same thing with Skille-Kessel stuff. I think that hatchet is buried. As both at least looked to play well together at the last u18 game. And with JJ. I think it was Kessel, Stoa, Frazee, Mueller and EJ that hung out and JJ was not one of those guys. Just kids in groups.
Can you share the story? I have heard it referenced, but I haven't actually heard it unless its the story in the Jordan Staal thread in the Pens forum.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Kessel's mom was laying into Crosby. From what i hear it was typical trash talk to the star player. But i guess she is loud. So JJ goes up to Crosby and tells him to win the face off to him and he would score. Crosby says he will steal the face off and score himself. Crosby stole the puck and scored on a very nice indivdual play.

Another cool story about JJ and Crosby. Playing baseball at Shattucks. Crosby was beaned and JJ charged the mound.

The stuff with Kessel and Skille is more vague. Again more to do with parents than anything. Both kids from WI and the parents wanted their child to be the states best. Kind of boiled over when Skille choose WI and Kessel went to the U. Most people say Kessel never wanted to play with Skille ever. Kessel in many articles said he was leaning twords Minny all along. Playing hockey here as a youth. And with close friends EJ, Stoa, Frazee and at the time Mueller all going to U. It was an east descion for him. He played with those ever since he was 15. One story is him crying in the car becasue he had to leave MN and his friends when hockey was done.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
So if this is one incident with Kessell's mom (whose got it goin on) why are there so many mentions of her and comparison's to the Lindros parents?
Could someone provide me with links on her as to why she has such a bad reputation or even give me some insight if links cant be found, and tell me some of the things she's done to earn this rep?

Yureeka47*

stardog said:
So if this is one incident with Kessell's mom (whose got it goin on) why are there so many mentions of her and comparison's to the Lindros parents?
Could someone provide me with links on her as to why she has such a bad reputation or even give me some insight if links cant be found, and tell me some of the things she's done to earn this rep?

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: @ (whose got it goin on)

thats honestly hilarious, as I was reading that, I actually sung that phrase in my head.

On the topic though, if the Pens were to draft Kessel, i REALLY doubt any form of rivalry between the two would ensue, unless its a friendly one... If any real trouble gets stirring between the two guys, the experienced players and coaching staff would calm them down and teach them a thing or two about teamwork. This could be a problem if they were both 35 year old veterans.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
stardog said:

There aren't any. It's a non story.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
Yureeka47 said:
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: @ (whose got it goin on)

thats honestly hilarious, as I was reading that, I actually sung that phrase in my head.

On the topic though, if the Pens were to draft Kessel, i REALLY doubt any form of rivalry between the two would ensue, unless its a friendly one... If any real trouble gets stirring between the two guys, the experienced players and coaching staff would calm them down and teach them a thing or two about teamwork. This could be a problem if they were both 35 year old veterans.

Exactly, if these kids are playing on the same team they would be ecstatic. They would easily cast aside their differences and try light up the league al a Mess and Gretz. All of us on HF say that they have trouble sharing the spot light, and some do. But Crosby and Malkin and which ever other young star is drafted will gel just fine and be one of the better teams out there in a few years.

espo*

Total non-issue now.There would'nt be any issues should these guys play on the same team.I think the only issue would be what would the defenses do with them playing together.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Personally I think the entire thing is irrelevant, I don't see the Pens selecting Kessel period.

Ogopogo*

doctordark said:
I posted this in the Penguins forum, thought I might get an answer here too:

Beyond the one story related by Jack Johnson about Kessel's overbearing mother hassling Sid and then having to eat some serious crow, is there any evidence at all of a problem between Crosby and Kessel? Personally, I think this whole rumor is likely just a variation of that story embellished and spun out of control, but if anyone has any info to the contrary, I'd like to see it. I can't see Phil getting drafted by the Pens if he's got genuine friction with Sid.

By the way, if your idea of a useful post constitutes "LOL! I herd Crosby TOTALLY hates Kessle! brb", you can stop typing now.

Why would one of the NHL's best players spend one second thinking about a player that has never even been drafted? I am sure Crosby doesn't waste his time thinking about Phil Kessel.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I believe that their focus is on selecting EJ if they can swing a deal and, if not possible, I see them looking at a different option, any of Staal, Backstrom or Toews. They may go wtih Kessel, you never know, every team/scout sees players differently, I just don't see them selecting a pure offensive guy who is probably some time away from the show.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If Kessel can bury a ton of goals off of Crosby's passes, I think that will salve any hard feelings. If any ever existed at all. To be honest I think that Kessel would walk through broken glass on bare knees to play on Crosby's wing, and if Kessel can indeed bury those passes, Crosby will welcome him like a long lost brother. Does anyone actually think otherwise?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Personally whoever the Pens end up drafting I dont think its going to matter. I see the Pens winning multiple Cups in the future anyways. Call me crazy but with a cast of Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and either one of Staal/Johnson/Kessel do they really look that different from the 80s Isles? I dont think so.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
I know it's hard to think that a player with such high skills would care about the spotlight or have a rivalry with anyone else.

It's tough to understand the mindset of parents of highly skilled parents or highly skilled players. When players grow up playing at such an elite level it's usually not just high skill that got them there. It's determination, ego, fiestiness, aggressivness, etc that also got them to that level and those things are hard to turn off. You have it at home, in the weight room, at a tournament, locker room, etc

I've been involved with local hockey where no one is at that level but there are the stars of the teams and they many times have the same issues. A natural rivalry sets in and it's hard to become really good friends because usually those two are always trying to outdo one another. Then you put it on somewhat of a national stage and then you really have every little thing reported on and overblown.

I'm sure most is exagerated but I'm sure there is the truth that seems to me to be a natural rivalry. Throw in a few vocal mom's and dads and then the rivalry starts to get somewhat out of control

MU_Beerman

May 20, 2004
Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Kessel/Toews, gross. Pittsburgh needs to get their arena deal done, this crew could sell hockey in Houston.

Before anyone freaks out, I fully hope Pitt. gets to keep their franchise.

turnbuckle*

I've heard on more than one occasion that Skille and J. Johnson aren't fans of Kessel.

I was told by an NHL executive recently that after one tourney the two Jacks gave a jersey to a mentally challenged fellow who had helped them out with the towels and stuff. Johnson and Skille signed the jersey and passed it around for their teammates to sign as a token of their appreciation. When the sweater came back there were two signatures missing - Kessel's and Mueller's, and they were giggling like school kids. Needless to say Johnson and Skille were not impressed, let them know and made them sign the sweater.

If the top three picks are Johnson, Staal and Backstrom/Toews, might Chicago consider Toews/Backstrom over Kessel in part because of a rift between Kessel and Skille? Don't think that things like that aren't highly considered by scouts either.

Character is a very important factor, and the scout I talked to and others have Kessel our of the top four in large part because of character questions - none of them question his skill. Not to downgrade the players who might be picked ahead of him - EJ is on his own level (he's going first overall), and Staal may be as talented (though not as fast) as Kessel given the age difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->