Crosby is starting to take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
ShadowFax said:
I haven't been able to see Russia's games but he probably is getting more icetime than Crosby. The Canadian coaches roll 4 lines.
And Russia doesn't ?

Nemchinov13

Oct 19, 2002
Gravesend
Visit site
Both players are equally awesome. It's just a matter of preferrence. Crosby in not unlike Gretzky and Ovechkin is not unlike Messier (Disclaimer: I'm not saying that both will be as great as that dynamic duo, I'm just comparing their styles). It's just what you want to see. Ovechkin is a more exciting player with his physical play, stickhandling while going at full speed and unabashed enthusiasm for the game, while Crosby seems to be more of a cerebral player. Then there's an issue of whining which was a topic of much discussion in all circles of hockey in the midseason, but recently have died down. Both rookies will improve any team in roughly equal measure. But personally, I'd go with Alex.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Camshaft77 said:
I guess i will sum up my point like this, Aki Berg looks like a very capable and useful defender on the large ice why?? He has more time and space to make plays like his first pass and the forecheck is not nearly as intense. Then you look at his play with the Toronto Maple Leafs and he can't make the simplest of plays in his own zone, why is that? Because he does not have the time to make the play he could on the large ice.

It goes both ways though.
While it's true that D-men have more time to make plays on the big ice, they also need to be more mobile. The bigger ice nullifies the effectiveness of many of the lesser 'finesse' skilled defensemen. For this reason, solid NHLers like Hatcher and Regehr have looked rather poor on the big ice.

Personally, I think the best hockey played is when 2 highly skilled teams play on international ice (olympics, etc.). After watching the olympics, the NHL looked like a game being played in a phone booth with no room to move.
On the contrary, there's nothing worse than watching 2 lesser skilled 'trapping' teams play on international ice.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Zine said:
It goes both ways though.
While it's true that D-men have more time to make plays on the big ice, they also need to be more mobile. The bigger ice nullifies the effectiveness of many of the lesser 'finesse' skilled defensemen. For this reason, solid NHLers like Hatcher and Regehr have looked rather poor on the big ice.

Personally, I think the best hockey played is when 2 highly skilled teams play on international ice (olympics, etc.). After watching the olympics, the NHL looked like a game being played in a phone booth with no room to move.
On the contrary, there's nothing worse than watching 2 lesser skilled 'trapping' teams play on international ice.
One thing i hate about the big ice is the small offensive zone. Theres too much room behind the net and the blue line is too close to the net.

vcx*

Grabovsky...haha, imagine when he gets a holding penalty "Grabovsky, 2 for holding" ok so the heat here is affecting me.

ShadowFax

Mar 10, 2004
Berkut said:
Then why are you saying "he's probably getting more ice time" ?

I didn't say it was a fact. I just said he probably is. Canada has not played the Crosby line as much as people think. For reasons I have already said. I have not seen Russia's games but I would assume Ovechkin is getting powerplay and penalty kill time. Plus #1 line time. If there is Time on Ice stats then id gladly like for someone to post them. Crosby's line sometimes doens't even see time on the powerplay.

BIGTRAIN*

Canuck21t said:
SUPERFAN-1 said:
Why would I admit that if I don't agree? IMO, and you don't have to agree, at the younger stage, a 2-year gap makes a huge difference. Crosby is making linemates look very good right now at the WC and if he can get the same type of players on the Pens, he will also start to destroy the record books as you say it.

Fact you hypocrite since you my opinion was not enough to spout how good Ovechkin is and will be. Do a little research on the Russian team and see how good Ovechkin and his line mates are doing. Your total one-sided reasoning belies what is going on in the real world. Ovechkin with good players (per his stats this past season) would approach 80-90 goals and 200 points. No way could Crosby get those kinds of numbers even if he played with Wayne and Mario. Reason he is not a goal scorer and with both of them he would be an after thought and hardly have the puck. Also based on this season if he played with both of those players Ovechkin would score with ease.

But I will give you this if he played with the likes of Jagar and a solid left wing, he would be very effective since he needs finishers to excel. That is not a rub against Crosby just the truth But to compare Crosby to the powerhouse called Ovechkin leaves one to ponder whether or not you can judge talent. Just because he and you are Canadian does not mean a thing. Get out into the world and see what there and you will find Canadian is not be all and end all.

Both players will have excellent careers and be major parts to their teams success, but Ovechkin will be the most dominate for 15 to 20 years. I do not sell Crosby short like his fans do of Ovechkin and that is why I champion him so forcefully. Tired of hearing and or reading how great Crosby and the put down of Ovechkin talent. What will you all say when Ovechkin wins both the Calder and Pearson awards? Bet Crosby fans will say we were robed.

ShadowFax

Mar 10, 2004
SUPERFAN-1 said:
Canuck21t said:
Fact you hypocrite since you my opinion was not enough to spout how good Ovechkin is and will be. Do a little research on the Russian team and see how good Ovechkin and his line mates are doing. Your total one-sided reasoning belies what is going on in the real world. Ovechkin with good players (per his stats this past season) would approach 80-90 goals and 200 points. No way could Crosby get those kinds of numbers even if he played with Wayne and Mario. Reason he is not a goal scorer and with both of them he would be an after thought and hardly have the puck. Also based on this season if he played with both of those players Ovechkin would score with ease.

But I will give you this if he played with the likes of Jagar and a solid left wing, he would be very effective since he needs finishers to excel. That is not a rub against Crosby just the truth But to compare Crosby to the powerhouse called Ovechkin leaves one to ponder whether or not you can judge talent. Just because he and you are Canadian does not mean a thing. Get out into the world and see what there and you will find Canadian is not be all and end all.

Both players will have excellent careers and be major parts to their teams success, but Ovechkin will be the most dominate for 15 to 20 years. I do not sell Crosby short like his fans do of Ovechkin and that is why I champion him so forcefully. Tired of hearing and or reading how great Crosby and the put down of Ovechkin talent. What will you all say when Ovechkin wins both the Calder and Pearson awards? Bet Crosby fans will say we were robed.

Is this the same Crosby that scored 39 goals in the NHL. And currently leads the World Championships in goals? :biglaugh:

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
ShadowFax said:
I didn't say it was a fact. I just said he probably is. Canada has not played the Crosby line as much as people think. For reasons I have already said. I have not seen Russia's games but I would assume Ovechkin is getting powerplay and penalty kill time. Plus #1 line time. If there is Time on Ice stats then id gladly like for someone to post them. Crosby's line sometimes doens't even see time on the powerplay.

No penalty kill time, and not always #1 line time. He plays with Malkin and Kulemin.

As for SUPERFAN-1, even Ovechkin can be overrated, and he is by you.

ShadowFax

Mar 10, 2004
Slitty said:
No penalty kill time, and not always #1 line time. He plays with Malkin and Kulemin.

As for SUPERFAN-1, even Ovechkin can be overrated, and he is by you.

Ovechkin and Malkin are not on the #1 line? How is that possible?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I can't believe all this bickering about Crosby and Ovechkin. 4 points separated them at season's end. Count them 1...2...3...4. I repeat 4 points.

Some of you people truly need to get a life. Preferably off of the internet.

kovyfalcon27

Feb 3, 2004
Blairsville, PA
onice said:
I can't believe all this bickering about Crosby and Ovechkin. 4 points separated them at season's end. Count them 1...2...3...4. I repeat 4 points.

Some of you people truly need to get a life. Preferably off of the internet.

I'll second that, furthermore what is the point of trying to convince someone you don't even know to like who you like?? You are never going to convince someone who is a Caps fan or who is Russian that Crosby is better, just as you are never going to convince a Pens fan or someone Canadian that Ovechkin is better. Why not just like who you like, root for them and let other people do the same.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
SUPERFAN-1 said:
Canuck21t said:

This further proves he's anti canadian by "he wont see that amount of points with Mario and Gretzky" and pro europe "he needs inemates like Jagr to excell" :biglaugh: I bet this guy even boo's the Canadian national anthem. Get a clue before you sprout off your made up information.

Please tell me why this guy hasn't been banend yet? this makes no sense...he goes after other peoples opinions and only he's right about everything and at times cusses them because it's not what he thinks.

Like what was mentioned above...Crosby leads goal scoring department. :p: not to mention he's 5 points ahead of Ovechkin in the same amount of games played, a better +/-, ALOT less shots (and more goals :clap: ), more PIM i'm sure ( :( ). Ovechkin has Malkin and they are in the same class but Malkin is a more "complete" player and different playing style aswell, Crosby has Bergeron and Boyes (who's not in the same class but they are talented none the less), Ovechkin should be ahead of Crosby in points but he's not and that line is owning the tournament. Crosby will be a candidate for tournament MVP (there is 1 right?).

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
ShadowFax said:
Canada has not played the Crosby line as much as people think.

Yeah like the 11-0 thumping that line played 1 period and still managed a few points. Like what was said, they play all 4 lines, not just the first 2 then 3rd sometimes and 4th rarely, all 4 so each player gets an equal chance though the 1st line should be played the most because they carry the team.

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
SUPERFAN-1 said:
Canuck21t said:

Why aren't you banned yet? Insults are not allowed yet stupidity runs wild.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Grave77digger said:
Somone care to decipher that?

Fact you hypocrite since you my opinion was not enough to spout how good Ovechkin is and will be.

Better? :p:

Actually i presume it means "Fact, you're a hypocrite because my opinion was not enough to spout how good Ovechkin is and will be".

That's i guess what it means even though even changing it still shows what he said makes no sense. :dunno:

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
SUPERFAN-1 said:
Canuck21t said:

You will be severely disapointed in the next seasons if you really believe Crosby isnt going to scores goals with ease. Crosby is seen as a playmaker, that's true but it's also selling short his goalscorer potential which is sky high.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
SUPERFAN-1 said:
Canuck21t said:

Yeah sure, put words into my mouth. I have NEVER put down Ovechkin's talent, NEVER. Unlike your biased views against Canadians, I recognize Ovechkin's talent and if I could vote for who would get the Calder trophy, I would definitly vote for Ovechkin. But IMHO, I believe that in the long run, Crosby will be the better player. Is that such a crime? Can't I have my own opinion based on what I've seen? If there's one player who I think might be better than Crosby, it is Malkin.

Also, you're getting on my nerve when you accuse Canadians for being ignorant. YOU are the proof that Euros can be pretty ignorant and intolerant. Sure we can be arrogant sometime but jeez, you're the one who say stuff like "It is a faster game without all the clutching and grabbing and other such interference." No more will I be misled by believing that the European leagues are a more fluid and entertaining game. Thanks to the lockout, I've seen the Euro game and sorry to say this but it's darn BORING and there's much more clutching and grabbing in Europe. I think even Ovechkin prefers the fast pace of the North American game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->