Crosby is starting to take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
i am starting to wonder if half of you even watch hockey games, or just like crosby more because his name is easier to spell.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Nich said:
i am starting to wonder if half of you even watch hockey games, or just like crosby more because his name is easier to spell.

I know I like "Alexander Ovechkin" better because his name is quite a score in "People scrabble"

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
CCCP said:
I am not a CAPS fan, but I would take AO over Crosby! In fact, AO is the only reason i go to CAPS games!!!

Ok, let's use your logic here. Crosby was watching Olympics on tv, and i bet he was biting his toe nails when he saw AO sending team Canada home!!! :)

Oh, yeah, I forgot, if Crosby was on team Canada, they would've won the gold medal. :sarcasm:

I am assuming English isn't your first language, but that makes no freaking sense at all.

Nobody knows what Crosby would have done on the Olympic squad because he didn't play. AO got a bronze. Good on him. He's a star, what more do you want? A cookie?

But what the hell was that about toenails?

BIGTRAIN*

66-87-29 said:
Pens he was meaning. I'll bet 1 million dollars he means Malkin. Canada he's number 1, as with Pens anyway. I'll bet money superfan is russian.

Sorry buddy I am not Russian but German. Yes Malkin is better than Crosby but if super Mario played he would also be better.

Just so you all understand the Russians forwards, as a rule, are the best in the world. Furthermore most euros at the forward position are better than those of North America. There are a few exceptions but they ensure the rule. If the NHL would adopt the larger ice surface, the inferior skating of most North Americans would be exposed. I for one prefer the European style of play to the NHL's version. It is a faster game without all the clutching and grabbing and other such interference. Further, it puts a premium on players skating ability and puck movement and exposes players that do not skate well.

So I hope it is clear what my position is and why I know euros are better.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Nich said:

There's more to a hockey game than the highlight reel.

Both are very impressive players, Ovechkin is definitely the flashier of the two and was the better player this season. But the poise and skill Crosby showed at the age of 18 is something that can't be ignored.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
SUPERFAN-1 said:
Just so you all understand the Russians forwards, as a rule, are the best in the world.

Funny stuff. I'd say currently two of the best forwards in the world are Russian (Kovalchuk and Ovechkin, and we'll see about Malkin though he looks to impress) but that's hardly 'the rule.' Not many Russian Hart or Art Ross winners... Of course you'll probably say it's due to some North American bias or the small ice so don't even bother replying to this.

Furthermore most euros at the forward position are better than those of North America. There are a few exceptions but they ensure the rule.

Ah, the famous 'rule.' The same rule that makes idiotic North Americans say all European players are heartless *******? That's an equally ridiculous statement.

The best European and North American players in the world play in the NHL. The rest of the players play close to home, meaning the non-elite Finns stay in Finland usually, the non-elite Canadians play in the NHL, etc. Obviously you're going to have a higher quality/quantity ratio for Europeans in the NHL, but numbers-wise most elite players come from Canada and Russia. Countries with smaller populations like Finland and the Czech Republic have outstanding output of elite players for their size.

If the NHL would adopt the larger ice surface, the inferior skating of most North Americans would be exposed. I for one prefer the European style of play to the NHL's version. It is a faster game without all the clutching and grabbing and other such interference. Further, it puts a premium on players skating ability and puck movement and exposes players that do not skate well.

You overvalue the effect of ice size. If you can look at players like Paul Kariya, Simon Gagne, Mike Modano and many other North Americans and say they wouldn't thrive on a larger ice surface, you're delusional.

Yes. Position = head up ***.

hpheikki

Jan 5, 2006
SUPERFAN-1 said:
I for one prefer the European style of play to the NHL's version. It is a faster game without all the clutching and grabbing and other such interference. Further, it puts a premium on players skating ability and puck movement and exposes players that do not skate well.

Are you high? Or have you seen any nhl games? The pace of the game is much higher in NHL and the games are much more entertaining to watch, because there is much more action.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
CCCP said:
I am not a CAPS fan, but I would take AO over Crosby! In fact, AO is the only reason i go to CAPS games!!!

Ok, let's use your logic here. Crosby was watching Olympics on tv, and i bet he was biting his toe nails when he saw AO sending team Canada home!!! :)

Oh, yeah, I forgot, if Crosby was on team Canada, they would've won the gold medal. :sarcasm:

So your the one. ;)

The Caps' management thanks you for your unwavering support.

CCCP

Nov 17, 2005
i16.photobucket.com
ChitownExile said:
Nobody knows what Crosby would have done on the Olympic squad because he didn't play. AO got a bronze.

Well, all i know is that Crosby was not good enough to play at the Olympics!!! :)

AO did not get a bronze.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Since when did nationality make a difference in who can play of not? Malkin or Ovechkin may turn out to be the better pros than Crosby, but not because they are Russian. Crosby may turn out to be the better pro in the end but not because he is Canadian. American may even produce the next Gretzky or Mario some day, or Sweden or somewhere else. Except for the fact that it is the game in Canada, and almost as big in Russia (I think that soccar still is king there as in the rest of Europe, no?) giving those countries a leg up in getting the best atheletes, the argument that forwards or hockey players are in general better from one country or another is ludicrous.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
CCCP said:
Well, all i know is that Crosby was not good enough to play at the Olympics!!! :)

AO did not get a bronze.

You're right. I forgot that they lost. Those silly Russians. I thought they were best in the world, to quote Superfan. :sarcasm:

Anyhow, Sidney, it can be said, certainly didn't make the team because he wasn't good enough. The Canadians wanted to go with grit and experience and were vastly overwhelmed as a result. In hindsight, it is pretty apparent that Sid SHOULD have been on the team.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
ChitownExile said:
You're right. I forgot that they lost. Those silly Russians. I thought they were best in the world, to quote Superfan. :sarcasm:

Anyhow, Sidney, it can be said, certainly didn't make the team because he wasn't good enough. The Canadians wanted to go with grit and experience and were vastly overwhelmed as a result. In hindsight, it is pretty apparent that Sid SHOULD have been on the team.

And Canada was absolutely loaded. If Malkin were Canadian he would not have made the Canadian team either given the critereon quoted in keeping Crosby off the team. Again, the choice was obviously flawed. Crosby right now is top ten, maybe top five, in the world among forwards. You can not make room for that? Please.

CCCP

Nov 17, 2005
i16.photobucket.com
ChitownExile said:
Sid SHOULD have been on the team.
Oh, now you know better than The Great One himself who should or shouldn't have been on the team?:)
Bottom line: Sid was watching Olympics on tv while AO was sending team Canada home!!!:)

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
CCCP said:
Oh, now you know better than The Great One himself who should or shouldn't have been on the team?:)
Bottom line: Sid was watching Olympics on tv while AO was sending team Canada home!!!:)

Yup. Me and Wayno talk about it constantly while we have pizza and beers. :sarcasm:

What was your point again? Russia didn't win anything either.

CCCP

Nov 17, 2005
i16.photobucket.com
ChitownExile said:
Yup. Me and Wayno talk about it constantly while we have pizza and beers. :sarcasm:

What was your point again? Russia didn't win anything either.

I'll try to explain my point 1 more time:

1. Russia 2, Canada 0.
2. AO GWG.
3. Sid watches on tv.

:)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
CCCP said:
I'll try to explain my point 1 more time:

1. Russia 2, Canada 0.
2. AO GWG.
3. Sid watches on tv.

:)

I am not even sure that Ovechkin makes Canada's team given how they put that team together, although his being almsot two full years older likely would have gotten him a spot. You just are not getting how Gretzky and Co. put that team together and held youth against players, nor how stacked that team was compared to Russia.

Let me put it this way. If Crosby had been Russian do you really doubt that he would have made the Russian team?

PatrickRoy

Oct 10, 2005
Good Old USA
Don't you people ever get tired of this simple minded insanity.

He 2 yrs older
He's only 18
He is scoring more in the WC
He is not scoring as much as Sid in the WC

The only thing that really matters in the grand scheme of things is the NHL
and the numbers speak for themselves as to who was better,period.

Talk about beating a very dead horse.

What is very funny as to this one is better , no this one is, is the fact the playoffs are going on and both of them aren't in it. They both are on loser teams that won't see the playoffs for a few good years. Hell one of them after this year doesn't even know what city he'll be playing in.

You guys kill me with this debate :propeller

Kinda like the chicken and the egg

ShadowFax

Mar 10, 2004
CCCP said:

What does Crosby not being in the Olympics have to do with anything. Niether was Staal or Spezza whats your point? The Canadian Olympic Commitee decided to go with experience rather than go with youth. Even if the youth was better than most of the players on the team. It didn't work. The didn't even make it to the semi's. Its their fault Crosby wasn't on the team not his. Hell Ovechkin probably wouldn't have made it on the Canadian Olympic team. The team was picked before the NHL season started. They were going with the World Championship team from the get go. You really need to work on your comedy bud.

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
true crosby's skill can't be ignored. but seriously, neither can A.O's play. he was clearly the better rookie, yet people refuse to accept that and still ride crosby.

true i like them both, and true i think they are both amazing players with a hell of a hockey future ahead of them. so why is it always a competition? just let them play, and years down the road people can make a honest decision....not one just based on a rookie year. :dunno:

BIGTRAIN*

The Albino said:
There's more to a hockey game than the highlight reel.

Both are very impressive players, Ovechkin is definitely the flashier of the two and was the better player this season. But the poise and skill Crosby showed at the age of 18 is something that can't be ignored.[/QUOTE

Please explain why that every time some mentions Crosby’s name he is only 18 years old. Well Wayne were only 17 when he entered pro hockey and not one person used that as an excuse. Ovechkin and Crosby were in the NHL as rookies and that is a fact. Guess you would have made excuses when Gordie Howe was still playing completive hockey at 50 years while the others were in there 20’s and 30’s. Drop the damn stick of him being only 18 years because it shows he is inferior to Ovechkin. Further Ovechkin was just a child of 16 when he played in the Russian Elite, which by all accounts is the second best hockey league.

Just admit that Ovechkin has the ability to do more with less talent around him than Crosby is. When the caps finally get all their young players on the same page and acquire one or two missing parts, Ovechkin will start to destroy the record books. The only one that will be left at the end of his career will be Wayne’s total number of points. That record will never be approached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad