Crosby in negotiations with Lugano - per TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
nomorekids said:
If he goes for Europe in a cash-grab...

...good riddance. I hope he never plays on North American soil again.

This coming from a moderator about a 17 year old :shakehead

A Good Flying Bird*

Rakiet said:
It's just an insurance policy, but it does shed light on a new factor for the NHL, which is players could possibly elect to play for one of those russian oil companies if their all about the $s. The superstars doing this, unlikely, but the ones that were on the cusp of stardom and failed, and could attract a crowd..its possible for someone like that for example to go where they'll dish out the cash.

Pavel Datsyuk, hardly a washed failed potential superstar, is considering staying in Russia, where was MVP in the playoffs and the regular season.

A Good Flying Bird*

nomorekids said:
Nice reach there, chum.

Leave it to you to turn this into another "boo-hoo, the new system will be so evil" post.

Yawn.
Stale Rhetoric bores me.

I expected more from someone with an NMH avitar.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
1. Most of the "good riddance" posts are from people who are bitter over the idea that they won't get to see Crosby play if this happens, or even worse yet that he won't be suiting up for their team if they get lucky come lottery time.

2. It never ceases to amaze me how people can get so mad at players going after the money when this entire lockout is about the onwers wanting to make money. The same fans who cheer the NHL's cash grab think it's an obscenity for the players to do the same thing because of mushy crap like "they grew up dreaming about playing in the NHL".

3. Crosby's endorsement deals are worth less than 1 million a year. And no one has been able to offer even a shred of evidence that he must be playing in the NHL to get them.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
nomorekids said:
Gee, I can't comment on what I think would be a slimy, greedy thing to do? The day having an opinion becomes against the rules here at HF is the day I hang up my moderating hat.

Exactly what does Sid owe you or the NHL?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Epsilon said:
3. Crosby's endorsement deals are worth less than 1 million a year. And no one has been able to offer even a shred of evidence that he must be playing in the NHL to get them.

Crosby's deals are some of the highest ever signed by nhl players and he's not even an nhl player yet ;)

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/cpress/20050705/ca_pr_on_jr_ho/hky_gatorade_crosby_3

Tues July 5,2005

"He reminds me a bit of a young Wayne Gretzky in that he has all those nice Canadian qualities, the gosh-by-golly, the modesty," said Bob Stelllick, who runs a sports marketing company in Toronto.

"He's quite media savvy. He's really ridden the crest of the media's desire for the guy who is the big story."

"There was a lot of interest for Sidney, but a lot of it I kind of pushed aside and kind of kept a couple options that are very interesting at this point in the event the NHL doesn't go," Brisson said. "His main focus is to be in the NHL. He wants to play in the NHL."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=cp-hky_crosby_reebok&prov=cp&type=lgns
"I've been in this business for 15 years. Based on my experience in working in hockey with other athletes, it's probably the best deal I've seen so far in terms of apparel and equipment," said Pat Brisson, Crosby's agent with IMG.

the record books for players his age, but it is what he is projected to do in the pros that made him attractive to Reebok.

"The most important thing wasn't the dollar figure, but to have a long-term relationship," said Matt O'Toole, president and CEO of The Hockey Company, which is a Reebok subsidiary. "With a player like Sidney, we don't want to have a one-or two-year relationship. We want it to be for his career."

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
CREW99AW said:
Crosby's deals are some of the highest ever signed by nhl players and he's not even an nhl player yet ;)

That doesn't mean anything in terms of actual dollars. Crosby is getting 2.5 million over 5 years from Reebok. Compare that to Lebron who got something between 60 and 90 million for his deal.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Epsilon said:
That doesn't mean anything in terms of actual dollars. Crosby is getting 2.5 million over 5 years from Reebok. Compare that to Lebron who got something between 60 and 90 million for his deal.

Well, maybe he picked the wrong sport, if he was looking to be in that tax bracket. Maybe it's not too late. I hear he was a solid baseball player at Shattuck ;)

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Matt MacInnis said:
He's not going to Europe, relax.

The guy is simply preparing for the worst case scenario.

Precisely. Crosby would never play over in Europe as an 18 year old, unless there was no NHL, or no opportunity in North America.

His parents would be ridiculous to allow it, especially since everyone knows that one day he'll make that kind of money anyways.

A Good Flying Bird*

Fedz said:
His parents would be ridiculous to allow it, especially since everyone knows that one day he'll make that kind of money anyways.

Wrong. Nobody knows how much money he'll make.
He could get injured five games into his first season and never be the same.

A Good Flying Bird*

nomorekids said:
It'd be even harder if you could see my plaintive, doe-like eyes. :biglaugh:

What was that? The sound of my heart skipping a beat.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Epsilon said:

Pro basketball is a much more popular sport then pro hockey,which is why the nhl has never had the lucrative tv deals that the nba has had.

I think the nhl's last tv deal was about $600 million divided between all the teams.
the nba's last deal was $2.6 billion divided between all the teams.

Companies knew James would reach a much wider audience then Crosby,which is why James drew such a bidding fight between Nike and Reebok.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nba/stories/2001-12-03-tv.htm
The amount of the ABC/ESPN bid was not disclosed, although it is likely lower than the combined $2.64 billion NBC and Turner are paying under separate four-year deals, and it is not an all-cash offer. Instead, it is part of a complicated arrangement NBA officials must evaluate in comparison with offers from NBC and Turner.

Mat

if i were Crosby, i'd take the money and play in Europe
when my contract is up and i'm 22-22 years old, i'd come over to the NHL with my rights expired and pick my own team

Mat

Fedz said:

His parents would be ridiculous to not allow or; hell, his parents would be out of their minds to not push for him to go to Europe and make the big money! I know if he was my kid, I'd tell him he's playing for whoever offers the most.

Like someone else said, for all we know he could get injured 1 game in and never play again. For all we know he could be a total bust.

This is North America, this is capitolism, this is how it works. ALL THE REST OF YOUR ARE COMMIES!

Mat

Epsilon said:
1. Most of the "good riddance" posts are from people who are bitter over the idea that they won't get to see Crosby play if this happens, or even worse yet that he won't be suiting up for their team if they get lucky come lottery time.

2. It never ceases to amaze me how people can get so mad at players going after the money when this entire lockout is about the onwers wanting to make money. The same fans who cheer the NHL's cash grab think it's an obscenity for the players to do the same thing because of mushy crap like "they grew up dreaming about playing in the NHL".

:clap:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Mat said:
if i were Crosby, i'd take the money and play in Europe
when my contract is up and i'm 22-22 years old, i'd come over to the NHL with my rights expired and pick my own team

go back and read what the press is reporting about the current cba talks.

the nhl team that wins Crosby's rights,won't lose them until he's 28 yrs old.At the end of the new cba,the ufa age will be lowered to 28.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
nomorekids said:
because he's proven nothing at an NHL level. For every "sure-thing" prospect, there were guys that were supposed to be great NHLers and never panned out. Did you know Todd Warriner is a former top ten pick? Denis Pederson was a first rounder, as well. There's no reason that he(or Carter, or Phaneuf...or any other highly regarded prospect) can't be patient...come in and make a fair chunk of money to start for the first couple of years...and THEN...if they've earned it...they get their payday. What's the harm in that? Why shouldn't whatever team drafts Crosby be given the right to pay a safe amount of money to START...and give him his due when it's due?
Crosby has proven anything imaginable that a 17 YO kid can prove and way beyond...
Have you seen him play??
I don't care if you are incredulous, but at least don't put down the judgement of those who saw him play and know for sure that he is NHL ready...
To compare Crosby to any of the last 10 years first round picks is simply ludicrous.
He is way beyond anyone in that period and he is in a class of his own...

Mat

chsb said:
Crosby has proven anything imaginable that a 17 YO kid can prove and way beyond...
Have you seen him play??
I don't care if you are incredulous, but at least don't put down the judgement of those who saw him play and know for sure that he is NHL ready...
To compare Crosby to any of the last 10 years first round picks is simply ludicrous.

noone if in a class of their own. he, like many others, is a CHL player with a lot of potential and upside. outside of that, he has proven NOTHING at the NHL level and there is absolutely no guarantee he ever will

Mat

CREW99AW said:
go back and read what the press is reporting about the current cba talks.

the nhl team that wins Crosby's rights,won't lose them until he's 28 yrs old.At the end of the new cba,the ufa age will be lowered to 28.

my bad, i had no idea there was a CBA in place. when did this happen?

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Crosby has stated time and time again his dream is to play in the NHL (the way he says it, seems like he wants to as soon as possible). This is probably only for the lockout if it continues.

Although if he is drafted and there is a season, it would really seem odd that he wouldn't go to the NHL.

His Agent is probably frothing at the mouth at the thought of all that money he'd get playing in Switzerland though.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
chsb said:
Have you seen him play??

I have seen him play, and there's no denying his potential\skill.

But it's still just that, until he takes it to the next level. Unless they write the CBA to include a clause that says, "the max shall be this...unless it's someone ToTaLLy BaDiCaL like Sidney Crosby...in which case, we KNOW he's going to be the best ever"

The rules can't be written for or because of Crosby. His day will come...but he has to wait for it like everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad