Crosby effect: Pens speculated to have sold 3,500 season ticket plans in 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am guessing that the number below was an off the record remark from Pen's officials so couched in those terms. I can see no other reason to put a specific number like that in the article. By the way, the math works out . . . 150,000 tickets divided by 43 games per full plan = the equivilent of 3,500 full plans. If you factor in partial (20 game plans) the number sold to grows even higher.

Crosby already scoring for team
Penguins have big rise in ticket sales
Tuesday, July 26, 2005

By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Sidney Crosby, in the, roughly, 87 hours since becoming inbound Penguins property, already means this much to the local NHL franchise:

A guy called from Australia yesterday wanting Penguins tickets.

A guy called from San Diego and purchased a season-ticket package.

A guy from Dormont brought his checkbook, showed up at their door and plunked down a deposit on two partial-season plans, all in the moments before closing on his new house.

Although Penguins officials decline to release figures, it's conceivable that, ever since commissioner Gary Bettman opened their envelope and pronounced them the winner of the Crosby sweepstakes Friday, the Penguins have sold upwards of 150,000 tickets and generated $1 million in down payments alone. These numbers, however, they will divulge: Thanks mostly to No. 87, they received ticket requests from 10 states, added one employee from another department to work the phone lines and continue to look to hire more sales reps.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05207/543679.stm

Last edited by a moderator:

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Wow! I knew the impact would be large, but this is amazing, especially for a city like pittsburgh. At this rate, they'll be in a new rink in about 3 years..and I like the sound of that!

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
That's good news for hockey in Pittsburgh and I bet the teams in their division
will benefit as well.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
:clap:

Looks like one team's turning it around already.

Great to see.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Well this sucks for me. When I move up to Ohio, the Pens are going to be the closest team to me. There goes my hopes of finding a bunch of cheap ass tickets.

Good for the team though.

heygarebear

Blues
Feb 28, 2002
STL - Nashville
Troy McClure said:
Well this sucks for me. When I move up to Ohio, the Pens are going to be the closest team to me. There goes my hopes of finding a bunch of cheap ass tickets.

Good for the team though.
did I miss something? did the Bluejackets move or something?

golfmade

Go Preds Go
Dec 30, 2002
Idahoan in Taiwan
Troy McClure said:
No, but I'm in Cleveland. According to Google maps, I am 2 hr 19 min from Pittsburgh and 2 hr 29 min from Columbus.

You wouldn't want to go to Columbus anyways, they eat babies there, plus the extra ten minutes equates to an extra gallon or two of gasoline and with gas prices these days, fuggeda bout it.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If you further do the math the Pens sold approximately 20% of the years seating of the arena in two days. 16,000 or so seats, divided by 3,500 full pans = approximately 20%. It is turning out to be just what every one said when trades were mentiond before we got him. An owner would be crazy to trade the kid almost no matter what is offered. Nothing coming back will give you 20% of your arena sold in two days.

A Good Flying Bird*

Jaded-Fan said:
If you further do the math the Pens sold approximately 20% of the years seating of the arena in two days. 16,000 or so seats, divided by 3,500 full pans = approximately 20%. It is turning out to be just what every one said when trades were mentiond before we got him. An owner would be crazy to trade the kid almost no matter what is offered. Nothing coming back will give you 20% of your arena sold in two days.

So he's worth that $850,000, eh?

IdiotsPickedMyName*

Wow only another 6-8k more and they'll be at the level of most teams :biglaugh:

GnomE

Mar 17, 2005
Fire Sawyer and other marketing group, we don't need them. The tickets sell themselves ;) . You have to wonder, though, if the Penguins jumped the gun by making such a drastic reduction in tickets' prices. With Crosby, tickets could cost at least slighly more and they would've sold out. Then again, who knew the Penguisn were going to HIT THE JACKPOT!?

Pats Habs

Jul 25, 2005
Dartmouth
So, if I'm not mistaken, Sid could be a UFA when he's 25, having accrued 7 seasons. Could be a good time for him to sign with his boyhood favourite Habs! Wonder where the cap will be in 2012? Then Sidney can bring the hype to Montreal! WooHoo!

Great to see Pittsburgh back in black!

damoose212001

Jan 16, 2005
Pittsburgh
ACK! said:
So, if I'm not mistaken, Sid could be a UFA when he's 25, having accrued 7 seasons. Could be a good time for him to sign with his boyhood favourite Habs! Wonder where the cap will be in 2012? Then Sidney can bring the hype to Montreal! WooHoo!

Great to see Pittsburgh back in black!

No, we've been through this is many threads already. =/

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
ACK! said:
Enjoy listening to this for 7 years, Pitts fans. You have my sympathy. :)

A Good Flying Bird*

Handsome B. Wonderful said:
We still hear it about Lemieux despite the fact he owns the damn team. :dunce:

Small price to pay for Mario, though, who, IMO, is the best hockey player I've ever seen

egger66

Jaded-Fan said:
I am guessing that the number below was an off the record remark from Pen's officials so couched in those terms. I can see no other reason to put a specific number like that in the article. By the way, the math works out . . . 150,000 tickets divided by 43 games per full plan = the equivilent of 3,500 full plans. If you factor in partial (20 game plans) the number sold to grows even higher.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05207/543679.stm

You conclusion that this was all due to Crosby is ridiculous.

1. You don't know how many people bought tickets because of him. It is most likely that the people who bought tickets would have anyway, then or later. A few examples of people from far off who bought tickets proves nothing.

2. Every team in the league likely had a surge in tickets sales the day of the draft. After all, it was the same day that the CBA was ratified and the new rules announced.

Will Crosby help tickets sales. Probably. Was he single handedly responsive for selling 150,000 tickets. No way.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Grave77digger said:
Yes he was... the penguins NEVER sell at that pace this early, especially since noone knows what our line up will be till after free agent signings
agreed. sawyer even said they haven't seen a rush like this since 2000 when mario announced his comeback.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
egger66 said:
You conclusion that this was all due to Crosby is ridiculous.

1. You don't know how many people bought tickets because of him. It is most likely that the people who bought tickets would have anyway, then or later. A few examples of people from far off who bought tickets proves nothing.

2. Every team in the league likely had a surge in tickets sales the day of the draft. After all, it was the same day that the CBA was ratified and the new rules announced.

Will Crosby help tickets sales. Probably. Was he single handedly responsive for selling 150,000 tickets. No way.

You are abolutly correct. I feel stupid. There are lots of other reasons that the Penguins, who only averaged a bit over 13,000 tickets a game last year, sold over 20% of their entire seating for the year in two days. People fly in from Australia all the time for games I am sure. It is mere coincidence that these sales happened right after the Crosby pick was announced.

DJmastamind

Jan 26, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
www.beckett.com
All this ticket talk actually has me scared about not being able to get tickets to the Home Opener. I wish I could afford a Ticket pack, but I can't just yet. I'm sure by next year though I can, and I'll probably be on a waiting list

flybynite77

Mar 1, 2003
Visit site
Troy McClure said:
No, but I'm in Cleveland. According to Google maps, I am 2 hr 19 min from Pittsburgh and 2 hr 29 min from Columbus.

Well there's also the cost of getting on the PA turnpike for extra tolls to figure in isn't there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad