Crosby, Brule ETC....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamPlayer

Jan 11, 2003
What happens to the nhl entry draft (2005) if there is still a lockout until lets say Nov/Dec of 2005, does it get cancelled therefore preventing these players from being drafted until the next year?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
2005 Draft

undefined
Vanman said:
What happens to the nhl entry draft (2005) if there is still a lockout until lets say Nov/Dec of 2005, does it get cancelled therefore preventing these players from being drafted until the next year?

The 2005 draft may not happen if there is a lockout. Anyway if the NHL is on, the draft is usually in late June if I'm not mistaken.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Cariboux said:
I think the 2005 can't be cancelled just imagine how many 2005 picks have already been traded...

Re: Vanman's scenario of a Nov 2005 CBA agreement:
In that scenario--the 2005 would be put off till the next draft date (ie. June 2006)--but there might be 2 separate drafts at that time (2 separate lotto's too) ---they
would then use the 2003-04 season finishes and bottom 14 for its lotto in determining draft slots for the 1st of the 2 drafts (2005 draft crop) AND then use the shortened 2005/06 season's finishes to determine lotto participants and the other draft placings as per usual for 2006.............IN OTHER WORDS--if they even try to do anything different (like 1 single combo draft for 2005+2006 draft crops together) you would see $Bill Wirtz pull Chicago out of the NHL --to deprive the Hawks of their 1 lotto chance at CROSBY would be an OUTRAGE,not to mention the additional 2005 picks CHI is accumulating by trading off Sullivan,Demposey Nieminen and HOPEFULLY KRAPO...........

Last edited:

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
I don't understand why the draft couldn't go ahead as usual. The players can continue to play for thier respective junior teams and not have any contract signings untill a new CBA is set.

TeamPlayer

Jan 11, 2003
GagsIsDaMan said:
I don't understand why the draft couldn't go ahead as usual. The players can continue to play for thier respective junior teams and not have any contract signings untill a new CBA is set.

See, I thought this way too BUT, how would the order be selected if there was no season to determine standings.

This is a question I need answers to because I have the 1st overall pick in 2005 (in my fantasy pool) and I am getting offers for it, which I have been rejecting BUT for some reason this draft may be cancelled it may be in my best interests to consider it!

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Vanman said:
See, I thought this way too BUT, how would the order be selected if there was no season to determine standings.

This is a question I need answers to because I have the 1st overall pick in 2005 (in my fantasy pool) and I am getting offers for it, which I have been rejecting BUT for some reason this draft may be cancelled it may be in my best interests to consider it!

The difficulty in having a draft will not be in determining draft order if there is a lockout. The overriding issue is: the fundamental rules and procedures of the draft are governed solely by the CBA. The CBA determines which players are eligible, when they become eligible, how long their exclusive negotiating rights reside with the teams that draft them, how/when they become draft-related free agents, etc.

So for example, who will be eligible for a 2005 draft if there is no CBA in effect? It's easy to simply say the early-1987 born players, but what about 1988's or 1989's? In the absence of a CBA, why can't they be drafted too?

Obviously, the NHL can't simply decide to use the same rules as were in effect before without at least some kind of interin draft agreement with the PA.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
hawksfan50 said:
In that scenario--the 2005 would be put off till the next draft date (ie. June 2006)QUOTE]

But can they legally not allow age elligible players to play? IMO (not a lawyer) a restraint of trade law could kick in to play. It would be equivalent to the current players and management agreeing to not allow anyone else to play even if it was for a fixed period of time (almost a year)

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
hawksfan50 said:
In that scenario--the 2005 would be put off till the next draft date (ie. June 2006)QUOTE]

But can they legally not allow age elligible players to play? IMO (not a lawyer) a restraint of trade law could kick in to play. It would be equivalent to the current players and management agreeing to not allow anyone else to play even if it was for a fixed period of time (almost a year)

I doubt restraint of trade has anything to do with what might flow out of the league being unable to draft due to expiry of the CBA - after all, if it happens it will be because they are in a lockout situation - nobody (unless they go to scabs which can't happen under US law for a defined period) is going to be playing.

Having said that, I suspect they will push the draft back to when they have a CBA in place, then draft for 2005 (whenever it happens) based on some sort of agreed rankings (maybe the same as 2004?), and then get back to routine for 2006.

All of this is smoke and mirrors, however, as nobody has any idea if or for how long the lockout will actually take. There are a lot of reasons not to let it extend through a full season.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
They should push the draft age back to 19. Just push every draft back 1 year.

I agree that this would be good for the sport, but that is the "restraint of trade" issue that Crosbyfan raised, I think. There was an issue made a number of years back in the US on whether or not the League could legally stop an 18 year old from working within his trade or not - after all, the players by 18 are adults and, unless someone reinstitutes slavery for athletes, they do not "belong" to anyone. Can the NHL (or any other league as this has also come up in basketball and football) say that you have to be 19 before draft eligibility. The bottom line is that if you are, say, Crosby, and could make up to $8 million with bonuses in 2005/6 but are prevented from doing so because of artificial age rules - who is going to pay this amount? You never get that year back, no matter what you make later on.

What is good for the game cannot override the basic human rights of those who work in it. That is fundamental - whether we are talking about hockey or coal mining.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
La-La-Laprise said:
They should push the draft age back to 19. Just push every draft back 1 year.

I think they're not allowed to do that under restraint of trade laws. An 18 year old good enough to play would be deprived of income opportunity etc. While a strike or lockout exists labour laws would allow it (nobody could play or scabs could play 18 or older?) but as soon as they start to play 18 year olds and other older players not yet drafted have to have the opportunity so they (league and players association) can't just play and tell age elligible players "wait 'til next year".

Does this seem right? Also I thought there was a recent U.S. court case where a 17? year old was suing for the right to play pro football. I'm not sure what the outcome was but I thought the age exclusion for 17 year olds was considered acceptable and this case was challenging that.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
gb701 said:
I agree that this would be good for the sport, but that is the "restraint of trade" issue that Crosbyfan raised, I think. There was an issue made a number of years back in the US on whether or not the League could legally stop an 18 year old from working within his trade or not - after all, the players by 18 are adults and, unless someone reinstitutes slavery for athletes, they do not "belong" to anyone. Can the NHL (or any other league as this has also come up in basketball and football) say that you have to be 19 before draft eligibility. The bottom line is that if you are, say, Crosby, and could make up to $8 million with bonuses in 2005/6 but are prevented from doing so because of artificial age rules - who is going to pay this amount? You never get that year back, no matter what you make later on.

What is good for the game cannot override the basic human rights of those who work in it. That is fundamental - whether we are talking about hockey or coal mining.

Thanks you made my point a lot clearer than I did. :)

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Vanman said:

Well in the Caps firesale McPhee (according to the paper) is going after 2006 picks instead of 05's because he thinks there'll just be one big combined draft in 06 if the lockout does kill the whole season....though I don't think he can possibly know a whole lot more about the outcome than any of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->