crosby and gretzky

Status
Not open for further replies.

espo*

No idea,maybe no-one since he did'nt really play like anyone before him.I know the general consensus was that he was the best prospect since Guy Lafleur but i doubt anyone compared him to the flower since they were very different style players

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Gretzky said people were comparing him to Bryan Trottier when he enter the NHL. But I dont know why, as Greztky and Trottier does not play a similar game at all. Maybe it is because Trottier was the best center in the league back then.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
For what its worth, I remember reading Gretzky emulated Gibert Perreaults style of play...
Although interestingly, Gretz's all-time favourite player as a youngster was Gordie Howe - THEY didn't quite play the same style though... ;)

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
derbyfan said:
For what its worth, I remember reading Gretzky emulated Gibert Perreaults style of play...
Although interestingly, Gretz's all-time favourite player as a youngster was Gordie Howe - THEY didn't quite play the same style though... ;)

Part of the reason Gordie played more than 30 Pro seasons was because he played like that.

Part of the reason Wayne played more than 30 Pro games was because he didn't. :D

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
Part of the reason Gordie played more than 30 Pro seasons was because he played like that.

Part of the reason Wayne played more than 30 Pro games was because he didn't. :D

Touche... :D

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
WM said:
crosby is being compared to gretzky but who was gretzky compared to when he was playing junior hockey and was considered a phenom?
Bobby Orr.

From The Sporting News article "Gretzky, Only 16, Carries a 'Gold-Orr' Label,"
The accolade most used to describe him is: the best hockey prospect since Bobby Orr.

Because Orr was the finest player of his generation-and perhaps ever- and his precocity at 14 years of age turned on a shower of adjectives before he owned a driver's license, it's inevitable that every fuzz-chinned kid who shows above-average ability automatically becomes "the best since Bobby Orr."
Here's a link to a great interview by Peter Gzowski of a 13 year old Wayne Gretzky on March 25, 1974 from the CBC Archives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->