2 33 I. Makarov (RW)
2 61 S. Danis-Pepin (D)
3 76 T. Lagerstrom (C)
4 95 Ben Shutron (D)
4 96 Joe Palmer (G)
6 156 J. Juutilainen (C)
6 169 Chris Auger (C)
7 186 Peter Leblanc (C)
I am very happy with the selection of Toews,this is the center we need.I am very dissapoented with the selection of makarov.
I am happy with the election of lagerstrom and juutilainen...
Thoughts?

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
hawkfan50 can help you out with this.

he can see into the future.

expect a long essay of why the Hawks draft pales in comparison to who he would have drafted.

Hawkster

It's on.
Aug 2, 2005
I don't know much about the last two picks, but I've got no problem at all with the other seven. I think they all represent good value at the positions they were taken. You can't do much more than that when drafting.

I was a little surprised at the Makarov pick, but the more I read/hear about him, the more I like it, both as a player and a person. - Check out his short interview, and also what Tallon had to say about him at the official site. The kid's certainly got a personality..

Two of the Europeans - Makarov (QMJHL) and Juutilainen (USHL) - should both be playing in N.A next year too, which I like. It'll be easier to judge "where they are" as players.

Overall, I'm pleased with the draft that the Hawks had - B+

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
If you guys buy into the hype that Toews is the next Trottier, or a mini-Trottier, then you'll be disappointed. He is not. If he is, then he should have gone No. 1 overall. Trottier's one of the top 25 players of all-time, IMO, and "the next Trottier" or a "mini-Trottier" is not a label that any 18-year-old deserves.

But Toews is still an excellent prospect. I think there are a lot of similarities to Philly rookie Mike Richards, although Toews is a better skater. I've never viewed Toews as a potential game-breaker offensively. He might get 70-80 points per season. I think he's going to be a smart, wonderful two-way player. He's the type of player who captains a team to the Stanley Cup, and frankly, I can't think of a better compliment than that.

Hawksfan50 has been dancing a happy jig since D-Day because Chicago did not draft Kessel.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
gardebut30 said:
hawkfan50 can help you out with this.

he can see into the future.

expect a long essay of why the Hawks draft pales in comparison to who he would have drafted.

Phil Kessel's name will also come up for no apparent reason.

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
Hawkster said:
I was a little surprised at the Makarov pick, but the more I read/hear about him, the more I like it, both as a player and a person. - Check out his short interview, and also what Tallon had to say about him at the official site. The kid's certainly got a personality.

I thought he was a pretty funny guy in his interview too and Tallon seems to think highly of personality in response to Makarov saying he wants to be the best Hawk of all time.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, he's the son of Sergei Makarov, so having the family genes can't hurt.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Igor Makarov

"Is there player you pattern your game after, an NHL player you like the best?"

"No i want to be original, i want to pattern the game after myself."

"In a couple years players are goin be wantin to play like me"

:biglaugh:

sehnsucht

Mar 10, 2004
1 3 J. Toews (C)

2 33 I. Makarov (RW)
2 61 S. Danis-Pepin (D)
3 76 T. Lagerstrom (C)
4 95 Ben Shutron (D)
4 96 Joe Palmer (G)
6 156 J. Juutilainen (C)
6 169 Chris Auger (C)
7 186 Peter Leblanc (C)

I don't like Danis-Pepin very much, but Lagerstrom, Shutron, Palmer, and Juutilainen are all steals. Excellent mid-draft picking.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
sehnsucht said:
I don't like Danis-Pepin very much, but Lagerstrom, Shutron, Palmer, and Juutilainen are all steals. Excellent mid-draft picking.

I agree, though Danis Pepin is in a good program, could make him more steady. All those good picks along with Toews, excllent draft for the Hawks, they needed it :handclap:

dougd

Jul 20, 2002
fortmcmurray ab can
I like the Pepin pick a lot for the simple reason that he has decent hockey sense, and is fairly mobile. What more can you ask for in a 6' 7" kid in the changed NHL.

I absolutely love Makarov's response of wanting to be the "all-time" Hawk.

Now as long as he doesn't start liking KRISPY kREME like Boris, otherwise everybody will be saying Holey Makarell........ov!

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Wally112pac said:
Igor Makarov

"Is there player you pattern your game after, an NHL player you like the best?"

"No i want to be original, i want to pattern the game after myself."

"In a couple years players are goin be wantin to play like me"

THATS the attitude we need around this club :D

Ad