Critique New Jerseys Selection

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Brooklyndevil said:
With a scouting report like that, you have to ask yourself or myself why he wasn't rated higher by others besides the Devils. I mean did he interview badly? Does he have a bad attitude? Size? Although quite a few smaller defensemen where drafted this year. :dunno:
His attitude is actually great, he was considered one leaders on his team, maybe it was his size, either way don't read too much into where he was rated, people tend to treat these things like they are the bible or something.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Lou is God said:
His attitude is actually great, he was considered one leaders on his team, maybe it was his size, either way don't read too much into where he was rated, people tend to treat these things like they are the bible or something.

You're probably right. I can tell you one thing, next season my Hockey News draft guide goes out the window, especially when comes to the Devils. ;)

Draftman

Feb 28, 2002
Long Island, NY
Visit site
I would have been more impressed if they had taken Chris Summers at 25 instead of trading down. He is a much better prospect than Corrente IMO. Maybe they thought he would still be there at 30 when they initially made the trade. The later deal by Phoenix may have "aced them out" of the player they really wanted. :dunno:

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Draftman said:
I would have been more impressed if they had taken Chris Summers at 25 instead of trading down. He is a much better prospect than Corrente IMO. Maybe they thought he would still be there at 30 when they initially made the trade. The later deal by Phoenix may have "aced them out" of the player they really wanted. :dunno:
I think we have plenty of defensemen similar to Summers like Rafalski, Martin and Andy Greene, I think the Devils were looking to get a gritty player with a edge and a chip on their shoulder back there, hence Corrente.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Lou is God said:
I think we have plenty of defensemen similar to Summers like Rafalski, Martin and Andy Greene, I think the Devils were looking to get a gritty player with a edge and a chip on their shoulder back there, hence Corrente.

I agree, and also think that the CSB has a hard time with sub-6 foot defenseman that aren't offensive dynamos. But look how good defensively Rafalski is, if this guy has the toughness they're talking about, and can play as well as Rafalski defensively, it will be an outstanding pick IMO.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Blackjack said:
I agree, and also think that the CSB has a hard time with sub-6 foot defenseman that aren't offensive dynamos. But look how good defensively Rafalski is, if this guy has the toughness they're talking about, and can play as well as Rafalski defensively, it will be an outstanding pick IMO.
And I betcha my life they have Corrente penciled in to replace Rafalski when he either retires or leaves.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Lou is God said:
Yeah I gotta agree with the scouting report Jim gave, I have never seen the kid play but everything I have read on him suggests this is actually a strength of his, not a weakness.

From McKeens:

06/05/2006 - Smallish, skilled defender is mean, puts up points and does not back down in physical contests .. His intensity and competitive nature will take him a long way .. Needs to develop better positioning, however I feel he has only begun to tap into his full potential. [Rank 37]

04/15/2006 - Is built like a tank and is as mean as a rhino .. stands guys up at the line and just not just knocks them down, but punishes them in the process .. possesses good speed and attacks the offensive zone as he always looks to contribute on a goal or score one .. makes a good first pass .. defensively he has a tendency to lose his positioning as a result of pushing too hard in the zone, chasing guys out of the box and being beaten on a quick pass .. while his status in the draft remains unclear one thing is for certain, he can play and with proper tutelage he could develop into a decent fourth NHL defenseman. (61gp, 6-24-30)

01/17/2006 - "Smallish, skilled defender is mean, puts up points and doesn't back down in physical contests. His intensity and competitive nature will take him a long way. Needs to develop better positioning, however I feel he has only begun to tap into his full potential." (Rank: 48)

And from what I've seen of him, I agree with all three of those asessments completely.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Jon Prescription said:
From McKeens:

06/05/2006 - Smallish, skilled defender is mean, puts up points and does not back down in physical contests .. His intensity and competitive nature will take him a long way .. Needs to develop better positioning, however I feel he has only begun to tap into his full potential. [Rank 37]

04/15/2006 - Is built like a tank and is as mean as a rhino .. stands guys up at the line and just not just knocks them down, but punishes them in the process .. possesses good speed and attacks the offensive zone as he always looks to contribute on a goal or score one .. makes a good first pass .. defensively he has a tendency to lose his positioning as a result of pushing too hard in the zone, chasing guys out of the box and being beaten on a quick pass .. while his status in the draft remains unclear one thing is for certain, he can play and with proper tutelage he could develop into a decent fourth NHL defenseman. (61gp, 6-24-30)

01/17/2006 - "Smallish, skilled defender is mean, puts up points and doesn't back down in physical contests. His intensity and competitive nature will take him a long way. Needs to develop better positioning, however I feel he has only begun to tap into his full potential." (Rank: 48)

And from what I've seen of him, I agree with all three of those asessments completely.
Two of them are the same thing. Not saying I disagree and thanks for the report, but it's kind of weird that two assessments five months apart are the same word for word.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
crashlanding said:
Two of them are the same thing. Not saying I disagree and thanks for the report, but it's kind of weird that two assessments five months apart are the same word for word.

I assume it's the same scout or it's just McKeens using an old assessment for their final rankings. I didn't notice that until you pointed it out.

But like I said, it's definately a reason I think he wasn't rated so highly in most draft circles. He's going to be a solid player, but he definately has areas he needs to improve on.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Jon Prescription said:
From McKeens:

Why would they reuse an old scouting report five months later, the crazy thing is they could have gone with the other one in April instead.

As far as this positioning thing, we'll see how it goes, but if there is one team that knows how to instruct defensemen, it is New Jersey.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
I've seen more of these guys in the past few days and IMO Corrente was a decent selection at 30, there were guys I like more at that spot Jamie McGinn being one of them(heck, this guy should've been atleast top 20) but overall his skill level and package warranted him being the last pick of the 30. He's an absolute nasty defenseman, always looking to rough guys up and LOVES to railroad guys at the blueline. If you want big hits, you get big hits with Matt.

Vasyunov was a wasted pick, he's lazy, disinterested, along with those two come the stupid penalties, and after a good amount of time of just coasting on the ice has the audacity to bang his stick on the ice for his teammates to get him the puck. I wouldn't rank this kid at all. For all those negatives, I don't even like his skill level. Popov, Zharkov, Anisimov all flashed more talent than him.

Tulupov is a behind the scenes type of guy, so I'm not overly enthused nor disappointed with his draft spot. Good skater, great size, and seemingly good hockey instincts. Didn't stand out too much, which may be a good thing.

I really like Zharkov. He hustles, has great skating, and comes with ample skill. Great pick.

Now, while we're on this Russian roll a downright steal was Philadelphia's Popov in the 7th round. He is THE most electrifying one-on-one player in this draft.(and that's including effectiveness, which Phil Kessel is not) Popov will beat you with a slick move then burn right by you. Not sure what caused him to drop.

A sleeper is Evgeny Bodrov. The guy looked like a Canadian to be honest, was nowhere near the 5'9'' he's listed at IIHF. His willingness to be the lone hitter, or battler on a soft Russian team was enough to get him noticed. On top of that, he had an above average skillset. I wouldn't be suprised to see Bodrov make a Kulemin-like rise.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Balej's Dance said:
Vasyunov was a wasted pick, he's lazy, disinterested, along with those two come the stupid penalties, and after a good amount of time of just coasting on the ice has the audacity to bang his stick on the ice for his teammates to get him the puck. I wouldn't rank this kid at all. For all those negatives, I don't even like his skill level. Popov, Zharkov, Anisimov all flashed more talent than him.

I don't disagree with you.....But I have a feeling the lazy, disinterested moniker maybe a bit unfair.

I have heard Vasyunov has had cronic back problems (Probably another reason he was not a great pick) and I have a feeling some of that has to do with him staying out of high traffic areas and looking disinterested.

Sometimes what we see on the ice isn't the whole story.

That being said I hate the pick. I actually can't stand the Devils 1 through 4 picks and I am shocked so many outlets are giving high grades for their selections.

I think the Devils missed a real good opportunity to address their Defensive needs by passing up both Nigel Williams and Brian Strait with their 1 and 2 picks.

I think the Devils missed the boat on this one. C-

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
JimEIV said:
I don't disagree with you.....But I have a feeling the lazy, disinterested moniker maybe a bit unfair.

I have heard Vasyunov has had cronic back problems (Probably another reason he was not a great pick) and I have a feeling some of that has to do with him staying out of high traffic areas and looking disinterested.

Sometimes what we see on the ice isn't the whole story.

That being said I hate the pick. I actually can't stand the Devils 1 through 4 picks and I am shocked so many outlets are giving high grades for their selections.

I think the Devils missed a real good opportunity to address their Defensive needs by passing up both Nigel Williams and Brian Strait with their 1 and 2 picks.

I think the Devils missed the boat on this one. C-

I think they are getting such good grades ONLY based off Conte's draft record, which is a bit absurd to do for a media outlet.

I actually like the Vasyunov and Zharkov picks the MOST for you in those spots. I think they could turn out to be fantastic picks.

I'm a decently big Vasyunov fan and think that if he can adapt here he can be a solid player.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Jon Prescription said:
I think they are getting such good grades ONLY based off Conte's draft record, which is a bit absurd to do for a media outlet.

I actually like the Vasyunov and Zharkov picks the MOST for you in those spots. I think they could turn out to be fantastic picks.

I'm a decently big Vasyunov fan and think that if he can adapt here he can be a solid player.

I actually like the Corrente pick over Vasyunov and Tulupov.....And thats not saying much

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
I like our picks and I'm not sold on Williams (disappointing U-18) and Strait (limites upside).

Well, we'll see in the next 5 years if both d-men were better choices than Corrente. i had him ranked failry high in my own list, before Williams in Strait. You can't be a #2 overall in a priority selection without being a pretty good player, even young. He played in a bad team the last 2 years but had a huge progression this season.

I'm more concerned about the 2 years deadline for our 3 russians than their own skills in fact, that's why I'm putting a B+.
TJ Miller and Tony Romano are definitly sleeper picks.
We had a need for d-men and picked 4 good guys, as Magnan is also a valuable choice, and more important he'll turn pro immediatly in a Lowell team needing d-men.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think Vasyunov is getting the short end of the stick here.

I disagree that he's lazy. He definately isn't. He takes a shift off here and there, but any young kid might do that. He's stuck with that Russian stigma where he's automatically a lazy and disinterested player.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Jon Prescription said:

Or is it possible that the Devils actually had a good draft?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I like our picks and I'm not sold on Williams (disappointing U-18) and Strait (limites upside).

Well, we'll see in the next 5 years if both d-men were better choices than Corrente. i had him ranked failry high in my own list, before Williams in Strait. You can't be a #2 overall in a priority selection without being a pretty good player, even young. He played in a bad team the last 2 years but had a huge progression this season.

I'm more concerned about the 2 years deadline for our 3 russians than their own skills in fact, that's why I'm putting a B+.
TJ Miller and Tony Romano are definitly sleeper picks.
We had a need for d-men and picked 4 good guys, as Magnan is also a valuable choice, and more important he'll turn pro immediatly in a Lowell team needing d-men.

What do you know about Tony Romano?

Thanks

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Tony Romano will play for Cornell next season...
As it's one of the best team in NCAA he can't be that bad. I just have his stats though... :)
Still, I read a lot of good things so I'll keep on him and we'll see if he can take that step.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I think Vasyunov is getting the short end of the stick here.

I disagree that he's lazy. He definately isn't. He takes a shift off here and there, but any young kid might do that. He's stuck with that Russian stigma where he's automatically a lazy and disinterested player.

YES! Finally someone agrees with me. Honestly this kid has top ten talent, and just because of that they say he has a bad attitude and is lazy.

I didn't see ANY lazyiness at the U18's at all. Him and Anisimov were lights out, and are great picks for Buffalo and New Jersey.

I talked to Lou at the draft, albeit for like 25 seconds and the one word he said about Vasyunov, after I mentioned how he was a great pick was, "Stunning."

He was about as suprirsed as everyone else was, I really wish I could have talked with Conte as well, but they were crazy busy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->