Creative Draft Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techbert

Jun 9, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
Here's how I'd handle the 2005 draft. It's a one-time proposal, and we should go back afterwards to the traditional draft ordering. My idea is fair to all teams, and does not reward any one team with a huge windfall by landing Crosby. It also lets teams fulfill their biggest needs, whether it is a superstar, depth, existing prospects, or even cash for free agents.

Each team has 270 chips. They auction each draft pick off, one at a time.

So what stops us from having a 30-way tie for the 1st pick, with everyone "all in"? You can trade or sell chips. So the team that wins the Crosby Sweepstakes really pays for it. He would almost surely be their only draft choice, and they would part with prospects and some cash in exchange for other teams' chips.

So what stops a wealthy team from just buying Crosby? For example, what if Toronto simply bought all of Nashville's chips for $10 million? We'd have a rule that net purchased chips count against the salary cap, amortized over say a 3-year period. You could buy Crosby, but you couldn't pay the players around him.

If you really wanted Ryan or Pouliot or Johnson or someone, you could get him, but it would cost you in lesser draft choices and/or prospects. It would be up to the team and their trade partners.

And a team like Pittsburgh, with a lot of prospects, could sell their chips and use the money on veteran free agents, if that is what would help them.

Another team could pass on the first round, and load up on 2nd and 3rd round picks, just by sitting tight and bidding on picks as they roll around. Yet another team could come away from the draft with 30 late picks, Europeans they had scouted, or projects that just need patience. Each team could have a unique strategy, and fill their needs.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
I thought of something like this except instead of "chips" given out free, teams would have to trade picks in the 2005 AND 2006 draft for points. Each round from 1-7 each draft is worth a point value. Also, your bid is private and final. Ties are settled by lottery.

So if a team really want SC, they'd have throw in ALL of their 05 and 06 picks. If two teams did it then you pick one ball. The team that loses gets #2 and so on. The minimum bid would be the pick for that round. So if all you bid was your 2005 first round, then you are going to be in a lottery at the end of the first round with the other similar teams. Also, this would lower the number of picks in rounds 2-7, thus making those picks worth more... so be careful about throwing away a 2005 3rd round pick cause it could be equivalent to a 2nd round pick.

Of course the kids are the ones who get hurt by this... maybe you could give a supplemental 7th round pick for every pick wagered... use a lottery to determine supplemental order.

Just some crazy thoughts. But it will let teams chose their own destiny.

Techbert

Jun 9, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
Simultaneous Bids

Teams bid at the same time, with 15 minutes rounds to raise a bid.

If two teams bid the same, there would be some sort of tiebreaker, but I would expect the ties to come late in the draft when it would not matter so much.

If two teams bidding on the SC pick are at 560 or something, one of the teams would call another GM and buy a chip or two. It would not end in a dead heat.

Bidding for the first pick may take a week, but things would move quickly after the first dozen picks.

I would expect a lot of contingency trades - like "I'll trade you Nikolai Zherdev for 270 chips but only if that allows me to win the bid."

The reason some people don't want Columbus to get SC is they think that team has gotten enough top pick bounty. I don't see any problem with Columbus getting SC if it costs them Zherdev and a bunch of picks.

X0ssbar

nomorekids said:
he's a Preds fan, and logic suggests that if you guys keep getting these top 5 picks, EVENTUALLY you're going to figure out a way to beat us ;) :D

ahhh..ok..makes sense then :)

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
This is an interesting idea, but I think GMs will have enough to do in the off-season between resigning free agents, buying out players to get under the cap, trades, contract negotiations and arbitration - all in a very short off-season as it is. I don't think they'll choose a system where they have to do so much work.

Besides, who would explain how it works to Milbury :)

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

May 15, 2003
Visit site
How about all the GM's get together and have a 30 person poker tournament live on TV? The longer you stay in the better draft pick you get. It might help TV ratings in the States... :help:

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
Hemsky83Schremp44 said:
How about all the GM's get together and have a 30 person poker tournament live on TV? The longer you stay in the better draft pick you get. It might help TV ratings in the States... :help:

Now, that sounds interesting!

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
I like this idea, only I think that all bids should be kept silent until everyone has bid. That way it is not as long and drawn out. Maybe the GMs could be given two weeks to secretly make deals for chips and have all deals confirmed by an NHL official who keeps them silent until after the draft. That way, come draft day, no one would know who has the most chips and things would definitely become more risky and interesting. Before each pick, GMs enter the number of chips they want to enter.

The auction would then proceed in the manner of "The winner of the first (second, third, etc) overall pick is ..." Then the team would be given the standard 15 minutes or less to make their selection.

It almost seems like a waste of time to do this for all 10 rounds, so maybe they could just do it for the first 3 and then have the rest decided randomly each round. It would also mean that whoever picks Crosby, probably wont even get a 2nd or 3rd round pick, making things more even.

vadardog

May 29, 2004
I think they should have a survivor series with the GM's. Last GM voted off the island gets Crosby. Either that or they could change who wants to be a millionaire to who wants a superstar using hockey trivia.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
theBob said:
I like this idea, only I think that all bids should be kept silent until everyone has bid. That way it is not as long and drawn out. Maybe the GMs could be given two weeks to secretly make deals for chips and have all deals confirmed by an NHL official who keeps them silent until after the draft. That way, come draft day, no one would know who has the most chips and things would definitely become more risky and interesting. Before each pick, GMs enter the number of chips they want to enter.

The auction would then proceed in the manner of "The winner of the first (second, third, etc) overall pick is ..." Then the team would be given the standard 15 minutes or less to make their selection.

It almost seems like a waste of time to do this for all 10 rounds, so maybe they could just do it for the first 3 and then have the rest decided randomly each round. It would also mean that whoever picks Crosby, probably wont even get a 2nd or 3rd round pick, making things more even.

I can't believe so much energy is being put in thinking how this process would work, when there's better chances the 30 GMs will be given Tim Hortons Roll Up the Rim to Win cups with the 30 rankings under each rim...

Glen Sather begins to roll up his rim... he looks thrilled, I think he sees a 1!!!!!!!....... oh no, is 19th! Poor Glen!

Phil333

Dec 26, 2003
New York City
I like this idea a lot but I think it should be silent. Most teams will go all in for SC and then when one team gets him (be it random, or through trading or something) then things will settle down for everyone else. What's so amazing about this is that the whole reason there is such a debate is because of one player. It's a debate that is needed, but if the lockout happened any other year we would have just done a simple random order, or used a variation of the 2004 draft. Crosby changes so much and this solution seems like the best way from teams feeling like they got screwed.

What I especially like about this is if a GM was "smart" they could sell chips to so many teams are really add a ton of depth.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
how about they have a royle rumble lats one standing wins 1st overall pick. lol Every G.M gets a wrestling star or former star. For example for Calgary Brett the Hitman Hart, for Toronto Trish ;) hehe lol. Tampa Hollywood Hogan and etc.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Hemsky83Schremp44 said:

good idea ;)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
You know some teams would blow their entire stockpiles on Crosby and other top 5 picks. I could some some smart GM not bidding at all in the 1st round. Save all his chips and try and get 5 picks in the 2nd, 5 in the 3rd round, 3 or 4 in the 3rd and 4th rounds etc etc etc.

I think this is a great system, every team gets what its prepared to pay for.

Silent auction, 1 bid per team per position. If two or more teams are tied they are offered a chance to up their bid until one is a winner, the tie losers are then awarded the next pick automatically to speed things up. If they are still tied, random chance decides.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
Well if they are going to use chips, and seeing as poker replaced the NHL on ESPN, why not just have a poker tournament. Each team selects who they feel is their best (poker) player in the organziation as of July 1st 2004. Depending on where you are eliminated that is what number you pick at. :shakehead

FlyersFan10*

jamiebez said:
This is an interesting idea, but I think GMs will have enough to do in the off-season between resigning free agents, buying out players to get under the cap, trades, contract negotiations and arbitration - all in a very short off-season as it is. I don't think they'll choose a system where they have to do so much work.

Besides, who would explain how it works to Milbury :)

Oh, I'm willing to bet that a lot of GMs have already got most of their business in place and that once the moratorium is lifted, then they'll get most of their work done immediately. I'm willing to admit that they have got most of the deals done, they just need to be signed by players. Yeah, they aren't supposed to be doing anything like that during the lockout, but I'm willing to bet that there have been phone calls and such.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
I like my idea of forcing the team getting Crosby to be $1M under the lowest payroll team. Forces them to endure years of losing, like a team that gets Crosby should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->