Crazy Final Weekend in the East

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Its pretty crazy to look at the East standings. Nobody is locked into a position going to the weekend. The race to make it is pretty interesting with 5-9 all separated by a mere 3 points. Reading could finish as high as 4th or they could miss out completely. South Carolina could finish 1st or 3rd. Manchester can finish 4th or 5th. Adirondack could finish 5th or miss. Elmira, Kalamazoo or Wheeling could finish 5th or miss. Someone is guaranteed to miss.

Now here are the matchups:

Wheeling and Reading have a home and home.
Adirondack and Manchester have a home and home.
Kalamazoo has a home and home with Toledo.
Elmira has a home and home with Brampton.

Thoughts on how it plays out?

On paper Elmira has the easiest schedule.
On paper Kalamazoo has the hardest.
Three point games between Reading and Wheeling would make things interesting. So would a series split.

Ultimately I think the odd team out is either going to be Kalamazoo, Wheeling or Reading. Brampton has given Elmira some trouble winning 2 games against them recently although one of those was a shootout win where Brampton blew a 3-0 lead in the final 12 minutes. I see potential for a sweep by Reading or Wheeling.

ADK34

Feb 1, 2016
Glens Falls, NY
Man this is so intense, I really hope my hometown Adirondack Thunder can make it. It would suck to miss playoffs AGAIN in glens falls out of all the disapointing teams that have made it through here since the red wings in town. Manchester has really gave ADK some trouble over the past couple games, and with the thunder having a deflating loss Tuesday, they really need to step it up this weekend. I'll definitely be watching tonight and ill be there tomorrow to support the guys. LETS GO THUNDER!!!!!!!!!!! #BeatManchester

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Man this is so intense, I really hope my hometown Adirondack Thunder can make it. It would suck to miss playoffs AGAIN in glens falls out of all the disapointing teams that have made it through here since the red wings in town. Manchester has really gave ADK some trouble over the past couple games, and with the thunder having a deflating loss Tuesday, they really need to step it up this weekend. I'll definitely be watching tonight and ill be there tomorrow to support the guys. LETS GO THUNDER!!!!!!!!!!! #BeatManchester

That game was on TV here. It was 3-0 after the 1st. I almost turned it off then early in the 2nd it was tied so I stuck with it. After the period it was tied. No idea what has happened to Adirondack. They had a sick start to the year. They were on top of the league. I think they had one of if not the best starts ever in the league.

ADK34

Feb 1, 2016
Glens Falls, NY
That game was on TV here. It was 3-0 after the 1st. I almost turned it off then early in the 2nd it was tied so I stuck with it. After the period it was tied. No idea what has happened to Adirondack. They had a sick start to the year. They were on top of the league. I think they had one of if not the best starts ever in the league.

Midway through the year, some players like mitchell heard, kent simpson and joe faust and more needed to get called up or got hurt. They are now at full strength but are still missing some key pieces because calgary or stockton has injuries. Hopefully it wont impact their chances this weekend :handclap:

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
The Nailers gave up the first three goals tonight but clawed their way back into. They got the tying and go-ahead goals in the last two minutes against the Royals to lock up a playoff berth.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I. Reading could finish as high as 4th or they could miss out completely.
Thoughts on how it plays out?

On paper Elmira has the easiest schedule.
On paper Kalamazoo has the hardest.
Three point games between Reading and Wheeling would make things interesting. So would a series split.

Ultimately I think the odd team out is either going to be Kalamazoo, Wheeling or Reading. Brampton has given Elmira some trouble winning 2 games against them recently although one of those was a shootout win where Brampton blew a 3-0 lead in the final 12 minutes. I see potential for a sweep by Reading or Wheeling.

Actually, before last night's game, Reading could have finished 3rd, by winning their division, or anywhere from 5th-9th, but not 4th. (The division winners get 1st three seeds).
I don't think any of these teams are capable of doing anything in the playoffs. Elmira has been playing well but Shane Owen isn't exactly a good goalie.
Actually anything can happen in the playoffs. It all depends on who comes down from the AHL. Royals lost that game last night because their goaltender was hurt. If they get Oulette back from Lehigh Valley, and Comrie on D they have a great chance. Playing red hot the last few weeks since they made some trades and got healthy.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Actually, before last night's game, Reading could have finished 3rd, by winning their division, or anywhere from 5th-9th, but not 4th. (The division winners get 1st three seeds).

Actually anything can happen in the playoffs. It all depends on who comes down from the AHL. Royals lost that game last night because their goaltender was hurt. If they get Oulette back from Lehigh Valley, and Comrie on D they have a great chance. Playing red hot the last few weeks since they made some trades and got healthy.

I knew I'd miss something. Nobody was locked into any seed before the last week. That's insane. I listened to that game, well the final 15 minutes. God the nailers broadcaster is terrible. Not sure I've ever heard a guy whine about every call that goes against his team. Then of course they tied it and then won it he acted like the biggest jackass ever. I was hoping Reading would win last night because I doubt they are losing at home tonight. Still don't think Wheeling is that good. Kalamazoo has come from nowhere. I think they were behind Orlando most of the season until a couple of weeks ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad