Injury Report: Crawford to IR

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Okay...I'm perfectly confident El Gato, Ani, and Forsling can ante up.

The 4th line and Rutta probably as well.

I'm worried that Arkhipov, Quint, and Odelein will keep stealing Toews, Keith, and Seabrook's sweaters and still make it onto the ice instead of them. That's going to be a major issue when your best player of the year goes down.

Those 3 would be upgrade over what we have seen from Toews , Keith and Seabrook most nights this season

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
with the major injury to steeger in Cal. i can see a opportunity of the Bhawks going to Cal with a nice pkg, for their b/u minor league G Eddie lack + others to make this trade where Seabs will head up with a pkg to Cal.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Forsberg either sinks or swims

If he sinks the Hawks know that future in net is not him and can start planning to either entice Nalimov back over (I believe he has one more year on his KHL contract) or start looking for heir to Crawford this offseason

Crawford may only be out 1 week (3-4 games???) and you're saying these 3-4 games(?) will determine his future here? Quite the sample size. That would be like trotting a rookie QB onto the field for 1 game and saying "this 1 game is your future, good luck."

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
You could see early in the game he had a problem. Can’t remember who was involved but he slid post to post for a save and was very slow to get up.

It is what it is. Happened several times in December in the past and we have seen two backup goalies (Raanta and Darling) play very well in his absence. I thought Forsberg has played well most games and gotten little support, lets see what happens. The entire team needs to step up and start putting the puck in the back of the net. If it doesnt happen it could be the end of the Hawks this year if Crow is out a long stretch.

This

Another thing...now that he's out it's some much needed rest, rather now than later in the season.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
with the major injury to steeger in Cal. i can see a opportunity of the Bhawks going to Cal with a nice pkg, for their b/u minor league G Eddie lack + others to make this trade where Seabs will head up with a pkg to Cal.

u know they have Brodie, Hamonic, Giordano, Hamilton, and Stone??

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
Forsberg was one of the highest rated goalie prospects awhile ago (similar to Shesterkin and Sorokin are regarded now), but has fallen under the radar since playing in N. America. I fully expect he'll show he's more than capable of handling the load - this is an ongoing circumstance in Chicago - and having Berube as insurance isn't a bad thing.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
u know they have Brodie, Hamonic, Giordano, Hamilton, and Stone??
exactly and the Bhawks will need one of them to come back in any trade. the idea is Seabs, + offensive prospect that can help now for their offense + additional middle tier prospect. for a d-man in the rtn, one of their offensive player who is a salary dump and g-lack to serve as a b/u.

the whole thing is this is Craw is or will be out for a extended time. not a 1 or 2 week IR.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Im hearing taps gently blowing in the distance for this season

icekoob

4th Liner
May 16, 2010
VALPO/chicago
Hopefully he follow some in the footsteps of the previous backups.. I'll never forget getting tickets at the glass behind the goal and being pissed Crawford was hurt only to have Raanta have his coming out party.

Gotta feel bad for Crawford... another Vezina quality start to season hampered by injury. Never returns quite right at first either so need Forsberg to right the ship and the D to step up.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Honestly...If Forsberg doesn't look good (and to be fair, he's not the major reason for the 2 losses), I'd take a chance on trying to pry Calvin Pickard from Toronto. But then again, I can be biased because I watched him outplay Carruth and Simpson multiple times at the WHL level.

Lack would be another good option, though.

Crawford may only be out 1 week (3-4 games???) and you're saying these 3-4 games(?) will determine his future here? Quite the sample size. That would be like trotting a rookie QB onto the field for 1 game and saying "this 1 game is your future, good luck."

I think the 'hawks right now have to be looking at "who's next" for Toews, Keith, Kane, Seabrook, and Crawford. For all but Kane & Crawford, they're not as good as they have been, and by the time their deals are up the mantle should ideally by passed.

So there is some value to see if Forsberg has it in him to be able to take on starter duties at some point down the line. But at this point he should be the de facto backup. The past two games should be proof-positive to anyone but the rankest of bandwagoner fan that there's no way in hell our current skater core can carry any old goaltender--they need competancy between the pipes to bail them out...and that's a goalie of Crawford's ilk.

At least until guys like El Gato & Forsberg and a few other young upstarts start taking up the main workhorse duties from our current core.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Forsberg, i like his play these 2 past games. he is or would be learning under fire being the b/u for Craw. the thing is, the org needs maybe a better b/u . again that is "if Craw is out longer."

the premise for my propose trade idea, i am looking at the possibility of moving Seabs contract. after this weekend, it should be really obvious that the org needs to move him and his contract. that contract is an anchor around the org neck, pretty much like Bickell's contract was.... to be more concise, the ability to make trades to improve this team. this problem should have been done in the off-season. but that is spilled milk.

the other part is to pickup a b/c goalie and yes a dead salary pickup, and yes even if it is for a season or 2. the penalty for that player to the minors would be a lot less than moving Seabs.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Is he really gonna miss 3-4 games or his injury is supposed to be longer ?

There hasn't been any news really. But he was put on IR, which means he misses at least 7 days, and with the Hawks schedule, that's 3-4 games at the minimum. Most I've heard is he's "week to week".

I think I read they're going to evaluate him before the game on Friday against Buffalo. That would be the earliest he'll come back. I wouldn't expect him back that game, though. I'd put his return more likely in the Sunday game against the Yotes.

Reactions: Maitz

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Forsberg, i like his play these 2 past games. he is or would be learning under fire being the b/u for Craw. the thing is, the org needs maybe a better b/u . again that is "if Craw is out longer."

the premise for my propose trade idea, i am looking at the possibility of moving Seabs contract. after this weekend, it should be really obvious that the org needs to move him and his contract. that contract is an anchor around the org neck, pretty much like Bickell's contract was.... to be more concise, the ability to make trades to improve this team. this problem should have been done in the off-season. but that is spilled milk.

the other part is to pickup a b/c goalie and yes a dead salary pickup, and yes even if it is for a season or 2. the penalty for that player to the minors would be a lot less than moving Seabs.

While I agree Seabs' deal is an albatross, if he can't be moved he can't be moved...so you mitigate around it as best as you can. If the only taker is a hockey black hole (like AZ) and he says no...we're SOL.

For Crawford...he needs to heal and not be rushed back. If the difference between winning and losing is the difference between a 95% and an 100% Crawford...we'd lose anyway with Forsberg in net and he gets some time under fire and where the skaters are lacking gets properly exposed without Crawford bailing them out.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
There hasn't been any news really. But he was put on IR, which means he misses at least 7 days, and with the Hawks schedule, that's 3-4 games at the minimum. Most I've heard is he's "week to week".

I think I read they're going to evaluate him before the game on Friday against Buffalo. That would be the earliest he'll come back. I wouldn't expect him back that game, though. I'd put his return more likely in the Sunday game against the Yotes.

Thanks for the report!

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
While I agree Seabs' deal is an albatross, if he can't be moved he can't be moved...so you mitigate around it as best as you can. If the only taker is a hockey black hole (like AZ) and he says no...we're SOL.

For Crawford...he needs to heal and not be rushed back. If the difference between winning and losing is the difference between a 95% and an 100% Crawford...we'd lose anyway with Forsberg in net and he gets some time under fire and where the skaters are lacking gets properly exposed without Crawford bailing them out.
some of what you posted is too much for my pay grade. i really can't think like that.

we, the org needs Craw back and at a 100% they will do as far as Craw could carry this team. We also needs Toews and his mind set going come playoff time. i really like a Forsberg, granted it was at a small small sample size preview.

the weak point is the indecision that management has for the defense.

that is my new point at this time.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Not gospel, btw. If he isn't ready, he won't play Sunday either. Week to week says to me that he may miss more than 7 days. But who knows. The Hawks are always very cryptic/quiet about their injuries.
one can see that this is a circular suggestion that comes to one thing and you hit it on the head.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007

What on earth are you talking about? Forsberg has done just as good as Crawford when he has been out. Really he only had one bad game this whole season...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad