Craig Button’s March Top 31 List (and my thoughts)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
that’s not the same thing.

sure it is a bit of stretch, but it is in my eyes on the same level of silliness it gets around here.

Wahlstrom and Samuelsson born and raised in the US, they have nothing to do with Sweden hockey outside of their fathers. players have roots from all over the place, God only knows where else these kids families have come from..

might as well call Akil Thomas American and countless others who are like him.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
This list is terrible although I like the Berggren/Woo/ ranking who I find very overrated as well
I don’t know how you can make an argument for Tkachuk over Svech/Zadina. Tkachuk really isn’t as gritty as people think and Svech+Zadina both are better offensively than Tkachuk and defensively they’re both good as well and it’s not like Tkachuk is great defensively. He’s ok. His all around game is so overrated because of Matthew
Wilde over Hughes is funny because the only thing Wilde has on Hughes is size. Hughes is better defensively but Wilde has better defensive tools. Hughes is also dynamite offensively which Wilde isn’t(he’s good offensively but nothing special)
Also where is Bokk?
He seems to be really high on Swedes but I can’t find Nils Lundkvist on here which is surprising
There’s many more terrible things but these are the main ones

Reactions: Frannel

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
sure it is a bit of stretch, but it is in my eyes on the same level of silliness it gets around here.

Wahlstrom and Samuelsson born and raised in the US, they have nothing to do with Sweden hockey outside of their fathers. players have roots from all over the place, God only knows where else these kids families have come from..

might as well call Akil Thomas American and countless others who are like him.
It really doesn’t matter. I could’ve said 7 Swedish born, I just chose a different wording, no need to get defensive of Americans.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
If I'm being frank, awful list, but one of his off-the-wall picks will hit, and everyone will point to that to keep the list redeemable in hindsight.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
This list is terrible although I like the Berggren/Woo/ ranking who I find very overrated as well
I don’t know how you can make an argument for Tkachuk over Svech/Zadina. Tkachuk really isn’t as gritty as people think and Svech+Zadina both are better offensively than Tkachuk and defensively they’re both good as well and it’s not like Tkachuk is great defensively. He’s ok. His all around game is so overrated because of Matthew
Wilde over Hughes is funny because the only thing Wilde has on Hughes is size. Hughes is better defensively but Wilde has better defensive tools. Hughes is also dynamite offensively which Wilde isn’t(he’s good offensively but nothing special)
Also where is Bokk?
He seems to be really high on Swedes but I can’t find Nils Lundkvist on here which is surprising
There’s many more terrible things but these are the main ones
I think you meant Bode Wilde ;)
But I agree

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Think id go for now

1 Dahlin
2 Svech
3 Zadina
4 Boquist
5 Wahlstorm
6 Hughes
7 Kepnoniemi
8 Farabee
9 Wilde
10 Bouchard
11 Tkachuck

Reactions: NobleSix

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
At least he made the qualification just before the list that he did not include Bokk or Kravtsov, because he hadn't viewed them enough. At first I thought he just left them off.

Reactions: Dudegang and bl02

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is what happens when you attend the Olympics and not 5 nations.

Some of his flip flopping at this point is pretty bad. Yo-yoing guys that heavily is never a good look, and it makes me question how many viewings you are letting alter your opinions.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Tkachuk is great. I love how ill informed people are about him (same thing happened to Matt, he just kept falling in the ‘expert rankings’. I remember someone ranked him in the 20s.)

I could see Brady being the next Getzlaf.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Craig's List: Bouchard rocketing up draft board - Article - TSN

1 Rasmus Dahlin Frolunda (SHL) D
2 Brady Tkachuk Boston U (NCAA) LW
3 Andrei Svechnikov Barrie (OHL) RW
4 Filip Zadina Halifax (QMJHL) RW
5 Evan Bouchard London (OHL) D
6 Adam Boqvist Brynäs (SWE J20) D
7 Barrett Hayton S.S. Marie (OHL) C
8 Noah Dobson A-Bathurst (QMJHL) D
9 Oliver Wahlstrom USA NTDP (USHL) C
10 Jesperi Kotkaniemi Ässät (SM Liiga) C
11 Bode Wilde USA NTDP (USHL) D
12 Quinn Hughes Michigan (NCAA) D
13 Rasmus Kupari Kärpät (SM Liiga) C
14 Grigori Denisenko Yaroslavl (MHL) LW
15 Joel Farabee USA NTDP (USHL) LW
16 Serron Noel Oshawa (OHL) RW
17 Isac Lundestrom Luleå (SHL) C/LW
18 Rasmus Sandin S.S. Marie (OHL) D
19 Ty Smith Spokane (WHL) D
20 Akil Thomas Niagara (OHL) RW
21 Jacob Olofsson Timra (SWE-Als) C
22 Jack McBain Toronto (OJHL) C
23 Filip Hallander Timra (SWE-Als) C/LW
24 Jared McIsaac Halifax (QMJHL) D
25 Nicolas Beaudin Drummondville (QMJHL) D
26 Ryan Merkley Guelph (OHL) D
27 Joe Veleno Drummondville (QMJHL) C
28 Mattias Samuelsson USA NTDP (USHL) D
29 Albin Eriksson Skellefteå (SWE J20) LW
30 Ryan McLeod Mississuaga (OHL) C/LW
31 Benoît-Olivier Groulx Halifax (QMJHL) C

Here’s Craig’s monthly ranking, and I need to let loose some air on how I feel about this.

first thing; Tkachuk at 2 is laughably bad. Taking him over Svechnikov or Zadina would be one of the worst GM moves ever. Worse than than Juolevi over Serg and Tkachuk. It doesn’t make any sense, and it adds to my point that he buys into media pressure. He’s had Boqvist at 2 the entire year and literally hasn’t stopped praising him. Look at every one of his lists the entire year. Now he drops Boqvist to 6 when he realizes he’s been partially wrong the entire time. Hayton is a favourite player he’s always had. He’s even credited himself for his discovery so I’m not surprised he’s still in his top 10. I don’t even see Hayton as a top 3 center in the draft. Positionally, Wahlstrom is a winger. Still on Bode Wilde, even though he’s been quite bad. He’s always had a love for SSM players and it’s evident with the crazy high rankings of Sandin and Hayton as I mentioned earlier. I remember he had Frost and McCann high as well. He’s dropped Veleno due to bad performance but hasn’t raised him since he’s improved over the last month or two. Along the same path, he dropped Tkachuk when he had a bad few months. All of a sudden he moves Tkachuk back to the top right after a good WJC and a few alright games. That’s completely not a balanced way to measure prospects. You can’t do it for some and not others. Smith is too low, I cant believe he has Sandin above him considering Sandin is literally the same mold of defender as Smith, just worse. Of course he sticks with his love for Lundestrom, Hallander and Olofsson. He literally has Swede Fever. They play worse and he just continues to build them up. Again, Albin ******* Eriksson is in his first round.. why am I surprised. Apparently he needs to watch 4 games to measure players. Bokk and Kravtsov aren’t there of course. How has he NOT seen 4 VAXJO LAKERS GAMES to watch Bokk but he’s seen so many games on Lulea and Frolunda. Back to positions, Groulx is a winger. He was only a center in junior and he can’t play center anymore, he just isn’t that player. 2 Russians in the 1st round, yet 9 players with Swedish roots. He’s got McIssac and Noel high still, not factoring in that they’ve been playing worse and shouldn’t be in the 1st anymore.

That’s just my opinion. What do you guys think?
And this is why,,he is not gm anymore.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Tkachuk getting underrated. People think he's only highly rated because of his last name and size, but his package of size, skill, and nastiness is what makes him so coveted.

He shouldn't go 2nd overall or anything but I could see him going anywhere between 4 and 9. It all depends on the order of the top 10.

Reactions: ecemleafs

kevrondl

Dec 29, 2008
Oshawa, ON
Button has always been awful. A terrible evaluator of talent and just about everything else.

I'll never forget when he had New Jersey taking Zach Fucale at #9 in 2013, not long before the draft.

Reactions: Daximus and Bozle

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
At least there’s no Kondelik or Giles to be found......
That’s a positive.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
This is what happens when you attend the Olympics and not 5 nations.

Some of his flip flopping at this point is pretty bad. Yo-yoing guys that heavily is never a good look, and it makes me question how many viewings you are letting alter your opinions.

Boqvist went from 2 to 6 after an abysmal 5Nations, so I’d say he’s been more than fair.
Can’t have Tkachuk at 2, just not skilled enough. Has to be Zadina or Svechnikov.
Hayton is too high. Not bad otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad