Maple Leafs hire Craig Berube as head coach

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
LOL Guy Boucher? The guy that just ran our 4% powerplay?
Wasn't his team though. Dude took a Sens team that was basically a 1 legged Erik Karlsson and Clarke MacArthur to the Conferance Finals and a goal from the Stanley Cup Finals. He had similar results in Tampa before hand.

My point being that the Leafs would do better with a 'swing for the fences' type coach on a cheap 1-3 year contract rather than trying to 'implement' a new 'culture' or 'identity' with a 'Berube type on a 5-8 year contract when most of your core is aging out or gone off to new places.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Wasn't his team though. Dude took a Sens team that was basically a 1 legged Erik Karlsson and Clarke MacArthur to the Conferance Finals and a goal from the Stanley Cup Finals. He had similar results in Tampa before hand.

My point being that the Leafs would do better with a 'swing for the fences' type coach on a cheap 1-3 year contract rather than trying to 'implement' a new 'culture' or 'identity' with a 'Berube type on a 5-8 year contract when most of your core is aging out or gone off to new places.
Matthews is 26 and has an extension
Nylander is 28 and has an extension

Those are our 2 best players and the biggest pieces of our core, locked up in their primes.

Rielly is 30 and has term
Tavares is gonna come back on a cheap deal

Screw Marner.

Not sure what a swing for the fences type coach even means. Every single coach has a system and way they like to play the game. Leafs need a different coach that demands effort and actually has a tougher attitude. Is Berube the perfect fit ? I don't know, probably not, but he is hell of a lot better than a guy like Boucher who was literally on our coaching staff this year and arguably the biggest reason why we got booted in the first round.

Leafs badly needed a culture and identity change, I am genuinely confused at how someone could watch this team in the playoffs and think that the culture and identity wasn't a huge problem.

That Sens team had Stone, Hoffman and Turris who were all pretty good as well.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
As a Blues fan, I’ll give my opinion of Chief.

He’s a good coach. Didn’t deserve to be fired but he’s also a much better coach for a good team that needs to take a step to the next level than a rebuilding team so I can see why the Blues changed directions.

He’s a very good motivator. Doesn’t mince words. Gives it to you straight. Isn’t a rah rah pat you on the back players coach but he’s also fair and while he can be brutally honest, he isn’t mean about it.

As stated above, he could really use a good Xs and Os assistant. The Blues were noticeably a mess when Jim Montgomery left to take the Bruins job. He’s not bad at it but he’s more the big picture guy so needs others to be the details guys.

If I’m being honest, I don’t think he’s a great fit for the TML. I think he’d be a fine coach there but his brutal honesty in press conferences is bound to get way overblown by the Toronto media on numerous occasions. But then again, he will not give a flying F about it so maybe he’ll be fine as long as any verbal faux pas (perceived, real or otherwise) doesn’t impact the players.

If I was him, I would’ve pursued the NJ job instead but then again, the Leafs can absolutely back up a Brinks truck to his house and that’s hard to turn down.

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Matthews is 26 and has an extension
Nylander is 28 and has an extension

Those are our 2 best players and the biggest pieces of our core, locked up in their primes.

Rielly is 30 and has term
Tavares is gonna come back on a cheap deal

Screw Marner.

Not sure what a swing for the fences type coach even means. Every single coach has a system and way they like to play the game. Leafs need a different coach that demands effort and actually has a tougher attitude. Is Berube the perfect fit ? I don't know, probably not, but he is hell of a lot better than a guy like Boucher who was literally on our coaching staff this year and arguably the biggest reason why we got booted in the first round.

Leafs badly needed a culture and identity change, I am genuinely confused at how someone could watch this team in the playoffs and think that the culture and identity wasn't a huge problem.

That Sens team had Stone, Hoffman and Turris who were all pretty good as well.

Old dogs, new tricks my man. If you think your core group of players are ready and willing to change their game at this point in their careers than best of luck to ya.

I say squeeze as much out of what you already have in the next couple of years and hope for the best. Easier and quicker to retool this roster if you have to.

That's just my general philosophy btw. Not even hating on the Leafs here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad