Player Discussion Craig Anderson Appreciation Thread

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Just saw from Andy's wife's blog post that she is doing a second round of chemo. I was under the impression that she was done with that, but clearly that is not the case. We should consider ourselves very lucky that he is still with the team under these circumstances, as it would have been totally understandable had he taken another leave. This family is fighting a battle that very few people can understand - I certainly can't pretend to truly comprehend how tough it must be...

It's conjecture to be sure, but I imagine hockey is an escape for him, and his wife probably wants him to have that escape.

It also undoubtedly has given him a massive dose of perspective which could be allowing him even greater mental clarity that usual for him.. and goaltending is in large parts a mental exercise.

I just hope she continues on the path to recovery. Forget about hockey. **** cancer.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Love Andy, but he's gotta control the stick handling 'clinic' he's been trying to put on lately. Nearly all of them result in close calls against us

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Hey, if Andy wins tonight he ties Lalime for most wins for the Sens. Good stuff. Going to be the all-time winningest Sen goalie sometime next week. *knock on wood

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Just saw from Andy's wife's blog post that she is doing a second round of chemo. I was under the impression that she was done with that, but clearly that is not the case. We should consider ourselves very lucky that he is still with the team under these circumstances, as it would have been totally understandable had he taken another leave. This family is fighting a battle that very few people can understand - I certainly can't pretend to truly comprehend how tough it must be...

Not sure, every treatment for cancer is so unique based on so many factors. But I know it's not uncommon for patients to go through multiple rounds of chemo regardless of if the cancer is in remission or not.

I don't know her exact case, but it wouldn't surprise me if it started with some sort of operation, time to recover and gain strength, followed by multiple rounds of chemo. Andy probably stayed home for the operation, recovery and first round of chemo. Now they're probably cycling through multiple rounds of chemo to make 100% sure to kill the cancer. Like I said, I don't know for sure, it's pure guess work based on personal experience.

Brethers

Jun 30, 2013
Ipswich, UK
Not sure, every treatment for cancer is so unique based on so many factors. But I know it's not uncommon for patients to go through multiple rounds of chemo regardless of if the cancer is in remission or not.

I don't know her exact case, but it wouldn't surprise me if it started with some sort of operation, time to recover and gain strength, followed by multiple rounds of chemo. Andy probably stayed home for the operation, recovery and first round of chemo. Now they're probably cycling through multiple rounds of chemo to make 100% sure to kill the cancer. Like I said, I don't know for sure, it's pure guess work based on personal experience.

Typically you have 3 or 4 cycles of chemo for head and neck cancers, so this doesn't indicate anything bad

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I have a gut feeling that Anderson is playing injured right now.

Gets injured after the Avs game. Sens say that Condon will start both games against the Habs on the weekend and that Anderson will most likely play on Tuesday. Then all of a sudden Anderson starts in net. Hasn't really looked good since his apparent injury. Well excluding the Bruins game and maybe the Flyers game minus that horrible misplay.

He most likely doesn't have a series injury, but i think he has the type of injury where while he can play, it has an affect on him being able to play goalie.

The question Boucher has got to ask himself right now is is it worth it to keep on playing Anderson right now.

If he is playing with an injury, then let him sit and play Condon for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I have a gut feeling that Anderson is playing injured right now.

Gets injured after the Avs game. Sens say that Condon will start both games against the Habs on the weekend and that Anderson will most likely play on Tuesday. Then all of a sudden Anderson starts in net. Hasn't really looked good since his apparent injury. Well excluding the Bruins game and maybe the Flyers game minus that horrible misplay.

He most likely doesn't have a series injury, but i think he has the type of injury where while he can play, it has an affect on him being able to play goalie.

The question Boucher has got to ask himself right now is is it worth it to keep on playing Anderson right now.

If he is playing with an injury, then let him sit and play Condon for the rest of the season.

Its a tough one. Andy isn't as sharp as he normally has been, and for GB it's a tough call. Do you let Andy play through this slump (my choice) or do you rest him and hope he's sharp for the playoffs.
Andy and EK both look a bit off right now and that to me is why we aren't playing that confident hockey we had for 70 games. Not worried, but if Andy isn't a top 5 NHL goalie like has become come playoff time, we aren't going anywhere (unless Condon decides to stay Berzerk)

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
So is Anderson a lock for the Masterton?

I would have thought his only competition for it would be Bickel (who did end up coming back to play this season after being diagnosed with MS), but i just read that he wasn't nominated due to it was already too late for him to be nominated.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Mike Condon has been good in many games for the Sens but he has also been below average many times too. Anderson also had bad games and many bad goals but overall he's been great and more consistent. That's why he is a starter and Condon is a back-up

Fact is :

Craig Anderson 2.28 GAA
Mike Condon 2.50 GAA

TEAMS :

1- Washington 2.16 GAA
2- Columbus 2.35 GAA
3- Anaheim 2.40 GAA
4- Montreal 2.41 GAA
5- San Jose 2.44 GAA
6- Los Angeles 2.45 GAA
7- Minnesota 2.51 GAA
8- Edmonton 2.52 GAA
9- Boston 2.55 GAA
10- Ottawa 2.56 GAA

Hammond and Driedger (not NHL level IMO) brought the Sens GAA down (18 GA in ~ 4 games of TOI :help:). Without them, Sens had actually a 2.39 GAA that would be good for 3rd OA. Safe to say the Sens were excellent defensively this year, and they did that when their N.1 missed 20 to 25 games due to personal reasons.

So is Anderson a lock for the Masterton?

I would have thought his only competition for it would be Bickel (who did end up coming back to play this season after being diagnosed with MS), but i just read that he wasn't nominated due to it was already too late for him to be nominated.

Ever heard of Clarke MacArthur?

Its MacA AINEC. The guy did come back after 2 years off because of like 4 different concussions. If that's not perseverance and dedication to ice hockey, then I don't know what is.

Bickell and Andy stories are great too, but AINERC.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Let's go Andy - time for you to outplay Rask, then Price, then Holtby and then Crawford.

This is your year to finally show you are the top NHL goalie.

Give 'er. Only 16W from glory

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Andy's going to have a few outstanding games for sure, but he just needs to bring the consistency over the entire series. Not really a Sens fan but I drafted a few of them on my fantasy team and watching the Anderson story all year gave me a bigger appreciation for him. Would be a great story for him to go all the way.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

Its MacA AINEC. The guy did come back after 2 years off because of like 4 different concussions. If that's not perseverance and dedication to ice hockey, then I don't know what is.

Each team nominates a player for the Masterton. Anderson is the Sens nominee this year. They announced it before anyone knew Mac was coming back. MacArthur (if I'm not mistaken) is not eligible for the Masterton this year because he wasn't nominated.

Also, I think a player can only be nominated once in their career.

I would assume that MacArthur will be the Sens nominee next season. I hope he is eligible for it even though he returned to the game this year.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Zorf is right. Nominations had to be in before Mac came back, and Andy was the Sens' nominee. There is no possible way for Mac to win it.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Each team nominates a player for the Masterton. Anderson is the Sens nominee this year. They announced it before anyone knew Mac was coming back. MacArthur (if I'm not mistaken) is not eligible for the Masterton this year because he wasn't nominated.

I would assume that MacArthur will be the Sens nominee next season. I hope he is eligible for it even though he returned to the game this year.

this is correct. Mac can not win the masterson. It will be andy or Bickell, both insane stories this year

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Oh gosh I didn't know... Well that sucks. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->