CP: Hawks to take either Turris, Kane or Van Riemsdyk at No. 1

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm starting to get some of the mindsplitting headaches guys like VOB, cdnyh1, and Juan tend to get around here...........

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I agree, I like Toews :teach: but he is still young, he must be stronger, older .. he must have more experience if you want let him play as center in the line between havlat and Kane

all three are able to have many, many points if they will play together next season, but they will have -30 in +/-

How good defensively was Jordan Staal this past season? He was 18 and not filled out physically. Toews will be fine.

Snowhawk

Dec 22, 2006
Ontario
Personally I would like to see the Hawks take Turris. I think the strength of a team is eatablished first in your own end (the Hawks have a whole stable full of talented young defencemen) and then down the middle. With Toews coming in this year and then Turris in another year or two I think the Hawks will be set. Solid centre prospects are probably the biggest glaring need they have as well. They already have Havlat and Ruuttu as wingers in the lineup with Skille, Brouwer, Blunden, Bickell (and even Bolland can play the wing like he did a fair amount in London), but down the middle things are pretty slim.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
JVR is far from overrated. I would love if he slipped to 6th.

I actually think he's underrated. I'm not saying he should go #1 but he wouldn't be out of place at #2. Really, I think you have to take a chance on Kane because his upside is just tremendous, but Van Riemsdyk is very talented in his own right and NHL teams are always screambling to get their hands on skilled power forwards.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I kinda hope it's JVR, then. I don't like Turris and Kane much personally. They may be good, but I don't like them.

Besides, I'd kinda like to see the lines like this in the future:

Havlat - Toews - x (Skille?/UFA/trade)
JVR -x (Bolland?/UFA/trade) - Ruutu

EDIT: Snowhawk has a good point about Turris, though...

AgentNaslund*

I say they take the one who is ready NOW (not in 2-3-4 years).

I read that Turris can take up to 3 years to be ready (maybe more...).
Kane might only be 1 year away, no?

Chicago should pick Kane, imo.

We'll have to wait & see...;) (I can't wait for June 22nd:handclap::amazed:).

Vancouver did that in 2003! We chose a player that was ready right away and his name is Ryan Kesler. Wow!

Turris sais he wants to spend 2 years in College. Hes there to get bigger.

Kane 1 year away? Yea sure. We dont know when these guys are ready, unless its Sidney Crosby. For all we know, Kane might have the same problems as Brule early on.

They shoudl go with Turris. Blackhawks always planed to chose either Turris or Kane, they just through in JVR to make things more interesting.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Vancouver did that in 2003! We chose a player that was ready right away and his name is Ryan Kesler. Wow!

Turris sais he wants to spend 2 years in College. Hes there to get bigger.

Kane 1 year away? Yea sure. We dont know when these guys are ready, unless its Sidney Crosby. For all we know, Kane might have the same problems as Brule early on.

They shoudl go with Turris. Blackhawks always planed to chose either Turris or Kane, they just through in JVR to make things more interesting.

fair enough;) (I'd still go with JVR)

We'll have to wait at least a year or two (or more) before doing a (for fun) "RE-DRAFT"...it'll be fun to see who will be in the NHL faster and who will be better for their teams, etc...

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
How good defensively was Jordan Staal this past season? He was 18 and not filled out physically. Toews will be fine.

Yea.....Staal played on a team that had the best center in the NHL to run out against the good players and Jordan played limited minutes.

That's a lot different then expecting Toews to play 12-15 minutes a night against the likes of Zetterberg/Sakic/Thornton/Iginla all season.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Kane, Turris, and JvR are my three top choices for Phoenix, as well.

I think you're gonna see either Cherepanov or JVR for your pick (with Kane and Turris going 1/2).

Gretzky came out and said he needed goal scorers, which makes sense with a decent amount of playmakers, so why not take the best one in Cherepanov?

bullsville

May 13, 2006
Chicago will pick Kane...we need offensive help next season we cant wait for Turris

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Chicago will pick Kane...we need offensive help next season we cant wait for Turris

I don't know how much London could fight this, but they want to make a run at the Memorial Cup next year, I think they would try and convince Chicago to wait another year before bringing Kane up(if they could). Mind you if Chicago signs him to a full time deal at 18, so be it; as a Sarnia fan, I wouldn't be crushed if Kane didn't rejoin the Knights next year ;)

I myself also see Chicago taking Kane this year.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Can anyone play in the NHL at 5'9 160?

If the abswer is no-then Kane needs to go back to jr. and add weight..

BUT--his game depends on agility quickness,not strength...it could be argued that MORE WEIGHT will actually take away agility...

Then they always trumpet the successe of SOME little guys:

Theo Fleury--when he was sobre--but though 5'6 he played at about 180...

Derek Roy is 5'8,but 190

Kyle Wellwood 5'10,180

Dan Briere 5'10, 180

Datsyuk now is 5'11 197

EVEN hooplahed BUSTS like STAN CHISTOV = 5'9 193 (imagine ANH drafting that "small" again?);

EVEN will anybody take him off our hand SERGEI SAMSONOV =5'10 190 ..

It seems incredulous to me that Chicago ore ANYONE ELSE can think KANE can step in,impact ,and survive in the NHL THIS SEASON given his puny size/weight...
Let alone,that he stinks defensively without the puck...

Then ask--will the extra 20-30 lbs he needs to add actually hurt his top agility skills?
Not his "hands"--but his agility...

I still insist he is a high risk pick given the size+defense issues...plus unlike TURRIS --where extra weight will help him ,or JVR who will fill out his already large body even more--they still have lots more UPSIDE as a result...I just don't see any more offensive upside than Kane already has--so I still say kane is ahuge gamble who may have already maxed out his upside...not so with the other two...

Of course over time Kane will add weight ---Datsyk was only 168 lbs when drafted;but to EXPECT KANE to play in the NHL this season and survive (except for the PP) is asking for a miracle IMO...

So when Dale Tallon first said he hoped the guy they took at #1 could make the team this year--and everyone knows Turris and JVR are going to college and at 18 are not NHL ready in any case, the obvious assumption was that IT HAS TO BE KANE
--the only one who could possibly be ready at (soon to be 19) and AVAILABLE --even if only to help the PP...HOWEVER--Tallon's recent statement that he has narrowed the choice to Kane Turris and JVR MIGHT indicate a back-track 2nd thought about his hope that this pick could step in rght away...Perhaps then IF he must wait,he may be deciding that the upsides on Turris or JVR are a better bet than waiting for Kane to put on weight and hoping he turns into Datsyuk and not Chistov...pople should not be blinded by what kane did as a jr. in London--there has to be some projection as to how he will succeed or not in the NHL... maybe he can translate his game to that level --but I doubt it will be THIS SEASON....therefore Chicago should not take him in a panic to improve NOW...that would be I think setting up for bitter disappointment..

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Can anyone play in the NHL at 5'9 160?

If the abswer is no-then Kane needs to go back to jr. and add weight..

BUT--his game depends on agility quickness,not strength...it could be argued that MORE WEIGHT will actually take away agility...

Then they always trumpet the successe of SOME little guys:

Theo Fleury--when he was sobre--but though 5'6 he played at about 180...

Derek Roy is 5'8,but 190

Kyle Wellwood 5'10,180

Dan Briere 5'10, 180

Datsyuk now is 5'11 197

EVEN hooplahed BUSTS like STAN CHISTOV = 5'9 193 (imagine ANH drafting that "small" again?);

EVEN will anybody take him off our hand SERGEI SAMSONOV =5'10 190 ..

It seems incredulous to me that Chicago ore ANYONE ELSE can think KANE can step in,impact ,and survive in the NHL THIS SEASON given his puny size/weight...
Let alone,that he stinks defensively without the puck...

Then ask--will the extra 20-30 lbs he needs to add actually hurt his top agility skills?
Not his "hands"--but his agility...

I still insist he is a high risk pick given the size+defense issues...plus unlike TURRIS --where extra weight will help him ,or JVR who will fill out his already large body even more--they still have lots more UPSIDE as a result...I just don't see any more offensive upside than Kane already has--so I still say kane is ahuge gamble who may have already maxed out his upside...not so with the other two...

Of course over time Kane will add weight ---Datsyk was only 168 lbs when drafted;but to EXPECT KANE to play in the NHL this season and survive (except for the PP) is asking for a miracle IMO...

So when Dale Tallon first said he hoped the guy they took at #1 could make the team this year--and everyone knows Turris and JVR are going to college and at 18 are not NHL ready in any case, the obvious assumption was that IT HAS TO BE KANE
--the only one who could possibly be ready at (soon to be 19) and AVAILABLE --even if only to help the PP...HOWEVER--Tallon's recent statement that he has narrowed the choice to Kane Turris and JVR MIGHT indicate a back-track 2nd thought about his hope that this pick could step in rght away...Perhaps then IF he must wait,he may be deciding that the upsides on Turris or JVR are a better bet than waiting for Kane to put on weight and hoping he turns into Datsyuk and not Chistov...pople should not be blinded by what kane did as a jr. in London--there has to be some projection as to how he will succeed or not in the NHL... maybe he can translate his game to that level --but I doubt it will be THIS SEASON....therefore Chicago should not take him in a panic to improve NOW...that would be I think setting up for bitter disappointment..

You really need to settle down a bit...you litter various threads with the same rant about Kane almost every day. if the Hawks take Kane, deal with it...it's not the end of the world

toastman344*

You really need to settle down a bit...you litter various threads with the same rant about Kane almost every day. if the Hawks take Kane, deal with it...it's not the end of the world

He makes reasoned...albeit passionate ...arguments....How is he litering the board there Mr BigStuff/ Who Do U think U Are ???

Why don't u provide some valid counter-arguments to his, there Cheif ? I won't hold my breathe...since ur probably just BLOWIN SMOKE ! :)

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
He makes reasoned...albeit passionate ...arguments....How is he litering the board there Mr BigStuff/ Who Do U think U Are ???

Why don't u provide some valid counter-arguments to his, there Cheif ? I won't hold my breathe...since ur probably just BLOWIN SMOKE ! :)

we all know his point of view after reading it about a dozen times. I don't have any counter-points to make because - unlike him - I don't know whether Kane will be a bust or a 100 point scorer. He doesn't want Chicago to take Kane - WE GET IT!! How many times do we have to read the same arguments????

WOTR

Jul 26, 2003
don't silence others

i don't understand, you act like someone is forcing you to read it?

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
ANAHEIM, Calif. (CP) - The Chicago Blackhawks have zeroed in on three players as they prepare to make the first overall selection in the 2007 NHL entry draft in just over three weeks.

It appears either Kyle Turris, Patrick Kane or James vanRiemsdyk, the top three ranked North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting, will slip on a Blackhawks sweater June 22 in Columbus, Ohio.

breaking news:

team with top draft pick will take one of the top ranked players

more to follow :amazed:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->