Confirmed Signing with Link: [ARI] Coyotes re-sign Antti Raanta [3 Years/$4.25M AAV]

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
What a steal man, have to have though he could have gotten a far better deal than that.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
What a steal man, have to have though he could have gotten a far better deal than that.

At some point it’s not all about money. Unknown if you have ever ventured into the Arizona desert but it’s a beautiful place to live. There was a write up a while back (3/4 years ago) that stated there are a lot of high end talent in the league that would love to live and play in Arizona, but ownership and the relocation bug scares them off. Nice to hear the desireability of players wanting to be here. Who knows.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
At some point it’s not all about money. Unknown if you have ever ventured into the Arizona desert but it’s a beautiful place to live. There was a write up a while back (3/4 years ago) that stated there are a lot of high end talent in the league that would love to live and play in Arizona, but ownership and the relocation bug scares them off. Nice to hear the desireability of players wanting to be here. Who knows.

Like I get that idea in general but its not like Arz is at the top of anyone's lists in any real category. Not trying to hate though. Its possible he is just a great team first guy but hard not to look at the land scape of the league and not think the agent messed up here. The guy put up not just #1 numbers but elite ones in a year where many teams desperately need an improvement in goal with little to no competition in UFA

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I’m glad Arizona was able to retain him.

What they are building is starting to come together and Raanta/Kuemper are an important part that team.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Like I get that idea in general but its not like Arz is at the top of anyone's lists in any real category. Not trying to hate though. Its possible he is just a great team first guy but hard not to look at the land scape of the league and not think the agent messed up here. The guy put up not just #1 numbers but elite ones in a year where many teams desperately need an improvement in goal with little to no competition in UFA

AZ is a team on the rise with a very good defense. It's no coincidence that Raantas play improved dramatically when Hjarlmarsson and Chychrun returned to full health. Many of the other teams who could potentially target Raanta have complications with either the laity of their blue lines or high priced competition that would require a trade before they could sign Raanta. AZ gave Raanta an opportunity and believed in him still when he had a injury that essentially cost the franchise a shot at finishing anywhere but near the bottom of the league. In the end AZ gave Raanta a fair market deal with a short enough term that he can still cash in again down the road.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Many players love living in Az and many retire here. Your spouse or family get to live in a great area with great weather 8 months of the year while the player travels, and then they can leave in the summer when it gets hot.

The NHL is keeping the team in Az, that is clear now. The problem is a lack of money from the ownership to sign high end UFA's, I don't think that will change. But, Az has a good young team and could make the playoffs next year, It can change quickly in the NHL, look at Colorado, Edmonton, and Chicago this year, anything can happen.

Raanta got market value, no more, no less. The mistake signings of Talbot/Darling, and Raanta not EVER playing a full year, being injured, is why he is worth low 4's, 3 year term. Raanta might be Darling next year or get injured again and keep in mind, he was playing in front of a very good D in 2018. Many on the coyotes board thought Raanta could get 5 mill+/5 year term, I thought that would not happen because he played 40+ games not 65.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona

I hear ya. But quality of life outside of Hockey is as equally important. Family comes first in anything in the world (to me atleast) and he and his wife fell in love with the demographics out here and rightfully so, it’s completely different than any other landscape.

I certainly see your point though. Cashing in is likely a priority to anyone when you’re talking millions of dollars.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I hear ya. But quality of life outside of Hockey is as equally important. Family comes first in anything in the world (to me atleast) and he and his wife fell in love with the demographics out here and rightfully so, it’s completely different than any other landscape.

I certainly see your point though. Cashing in is likely a priority to anyone when you’re talking millions of dollars.

I think all players know that you often trade off team success when you take big deals, with that said its not like Arz is really going to be competing any time soon. Also why I'm sure it is nice, outside of cold ass places like WPG, is it really that superior to any other cities? I personally don't see it. My view doesn't really matter here though

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I'm happy to see Raanta worked out for you guys. I was one of the few guys who said it all along, that he's a #1 G. A lot of people called him unproven and claimed he was getting carried.

Reactions: RABBIT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->