Confirmed Signing with Link: [ARI] Coyotes re-sign Antti Raanta [3 Years/$4.25M AAV]

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
C or RW.

Though there have been some rumblings Chayka was going to shake up the roster more than that, but a lot of that came out before their hot streak.

Keeping this on topic, Raanta = starter. Possible interest in young, low cost complement = Georgiev. Factor in the bold.

C-W Andersson [last yr's 7OA full elc] ready to step in next season
Zuc expiring upcoming season either W, but useful and if no extend can be flipped for a rental 1st
G Georgiev - aforesaid
for
2018 AZ 1st [protected if 1OA, unprotected otherwise]

{if AZ goes first overall, the pick morphs into 2019 1st unprotected}

thoughts?

EDIT:
those are thoughts to a base
the min is likely to be Andersson for 1st +
deal possibly expanded

Last edited:

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I was looking at 4-5 years. That money sets him& his children already pretty damm well.

Now he'll be 32y when he next hits UFA, tough age to get long term contract with that money.
It depends on how he plays but I could easily see him getting a ~5 year deal at 32. At 33 or 34 that would be way more difficult.

To me 3 years seems like a sweet spot between guaranteeing good money for the rest of his life and having the best chance for another big contract.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Goalies don’t regress the same way as skaters usually, if Raanta plays well the next few years i don’t think anyone is going to have any issue to sign him to a 6 yr deal. We have plenty of 36-38 yr old goalies as starting goalies.

So yeah i think it’s actually a smart deal for him. Make some money, see where the Coyotes go and showcase himself for that next deal. I think his lack of time spent as a starter (and rest of the league seeing what happened with Darling) i don’t think he would’ve got much more term right now.

It depends on how he plays but I could easily see him getting a ~5 year deal at 32. At 33 or 34 that would be way more difficult.

To me 3 years seems like a sweet spot between guaranteeing good money for the rest of his life and having the best chance for another big contract.

Goalies hit their prime the latest but it's still going to be a over 30y signing, and unless he's seen as one of the best goalies in the league I can't see anyone offer him that at 32y.

He would have to be seen as a clear starter who can make a difference.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Keeping this on topic, Raanta = starter. Possible interest in young, low cost complement = Georgiev. Factor in the bold.

Zuc expiring upcoming season either W, but useful and if no extend can be flipped for a rental 1st
G Georgiev - aforesaid
for

thoughts?
That deal doesn't make any sense for the Rangers.

Reactions: haveandare

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Islanders better get an offer sheet ready for Hellebuyck now that Raanta is gone.

Haha! Not worried from a Jets perspective. They’ll pay him with no qualms. NYI aren’t a more attractive destination. Pretty sure he’s happy to sign in Winnipeg long term.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Great deal for both. For player, he's a starter, and has a guaranteed few years of good cash even if he falls in level. For team they have a reasonable deal and aren't locked in long term if he ends up bombing.

Just seems good for everyone involved.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
G Georgiev - aforesaid
for

That deal doesn't make any sense for the Rangers.

My bad.
I obviously meant the 1st + depending upon how much else Chicago wants in
initially forgot the +
Andy for 1st + then more depending on who else is involved.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
paging @varano paging @varano ... your presence is requested in this thread ... :)

olOm1O4.png

Reactions: Mosby

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Goalies hit their prime the latest but it's still going to be a over 30y signing, and unless he's seen as one of the best goalies in the league I can't see anyone offer him that at 32y.

He would have to be seen as a clear starter who can make a difference.

That's the goal.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

G Georgiev - aforesaid
for

thoughts?

EDIT:
those are thoughts to a base
the min is likely to be Andersson for 1st +
deal possibly expanded

I don't get it

Reactions: haveandare

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
4Mish is minimum wage for a starting goalie. There's always risks in signing starting goalies with limited resumes. This is Raanta's first full season as a starter. But the reality is, teams have to take a modicum of risk when a UFA goalie has a strong season. We see it happen all the time. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Raanta just turned 28, so he'll have just turned 31 when the contract ends. In goalie years, that's still relatively young and if he pans out, he should have another opportunity to cash in on a mid or long term deal.

The term is short enough that if Raanta flames out, the Coyotes won't be in too deep. I assume Coyotes fans are very happy to see their team lock up a 28 year old goalie having a very strong season to this kind of contract. The way things are trending, the Coyotes have received a lot of value from that trade with the Rangers last season.

Reactions: iSophagus

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Congrats Yotes fans. Happy to see the Coyotes turning the corner. Out of curiosity what will be at the top of your shopping list this summer?
rt answered thoroughly (as always).

Goalie and D are pretty set. Team really needs a top 6 goal scoring forward (or 2). One may be addressed by winning 2nd or 3rd lottery pick.

Reactions: iSophagus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->