Friedman: Coyotes prepared to give Domi a fresh start, expect him to be traded by draft

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Baertschi + Goldobin/2nd from Vancouver. What would Arizona want if indeed they're set on moving him?

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Apparently in the statistical genius mind of Chykha (Did I spell this right? Probably not), 22 is a very old age for a player. He must do whatever he can to trade Domi for more draft picks.

This guy is an idiot, and should be out of the league my next year.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Man, I feel for Yotes fans browsing the offers in this thread. The return won't be as underwhelming as most pieces/packages that are being offered here, IMO. He has shown too much promise for his down period to have left him with little more than a better reclamation project's value.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
I said when Chayka took over that he should trade Domi immediately because they were going to have to big-time rebuild anyway, and he was a middle-six guy being treated like a future 1C. Could've gotten a haul for him. Now he's having a disaster year, and they're looking to trade him. They gave away Anthony Duclair for an older player who isn't actually any better, who's the sort of winger who, while good, you can find a dozen underrated versions of him late in free agency, on waivers, or as trade throw-ins every year (he was one of them! twice!). This seems like exactly the wrong time, and in fact, now that the Coyotes have some defensemen, are going to have like, Keller, Strome, and probably one of Dahlin/Svechnikov/Tkachuk or whoever, they're pretty close to the point they could be a 2017 Leafs pretty soon, if they play their cards right. At this point, it's too late to trade Domi without it being a perpetual-rebuild move. Unless someone is gonna pay for him like they would've at peak World Junior hype, I think you gotta keep him. If Strome is as good as he should be, and I still think he'll be pretty damn good, Strome-Stepan and Domi or Dvorak is pretty fantastic center depth. Then on the wings you've got probably Domi, since he's played wing and Dvorak would require a move, Keller, Christian Fischer, Brendan Perlini, and Nick Merkley. On defense there's OEL, Goligoski, Demers, Chychrun (who will develop), and very importantly, if Niklas Hjalamarsson can get healthy and return to form... there are pieces here. This year was a disaster, and this isn't a team that the analytics say are better than their record. But there are a lot of solid pieces, and moving Domi at this stage just seems like tossing away value for no good reason.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I said when Chayka took over that he should trade Domi immediately because they were going to have to big-time rebuild anyway, and he was a middle-six guy being treated like a future 1C. Could've gotten a haul for him. Now he's having a disaster year, and they're looking to trade him. They gave away Anthony Duclair for an older player who isn't actually any better, who's the sort of winger who, while good, you can find a dozen underrated versions of him late in free agency, on waivers, or as trade throw-ins every year (he was one of them! twice!). This seems like exactly the wrong time, and in fact, now that the Coyotes have some defensemen, are going to have like, Keller, Strome, and probably one of Dahlin/Svechnikov/Tkachuk or whoever, they're pretty close to the point they could be a 2017 Leafs pretty soon, if they play their cards right. At this point, it's too late to trade Domi without it being a perpetual-rebuild move. Unless someone is gonna pay for him like they would've at peak World Junior hype, I think you gotta keep him. If Strome is as good as he should be, and I still think he'll be pretty damn good, Strome-Stepan and Domi or Dvorak is pretty fantastic center depth. Then on the wings you've got probably Domi, since he's played wing and Dvorak would require a move, Keller, Christian Fischer, Brendan Perlini, and Nick Merkley. On defense there's OEL, Goligoski, Demers, Chychrun (who will develop), and very importantly, if Niklas Hjalamarsson can get healthy and return to form... there are pieces here. This year was a disaster, and this isn't a team that the analytics say are better than their record. But there are a lot of solid pieces, and moving Domi at this stage just seems like tossing away value for no good reason.
Paragraphs man. You are only allowed to be this egregiously anti line break if you're scrawling a manifesto/suicide note in blood on a cell wall.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
OEL , Strome & Domi for RNH , Klefbom & Yamamoto 1st 2019 provided OEL resigns with the Oilers
Take a minute to break down that trade...

1st (2019) for Strome - Probably 15-31. Yotes say no.
Yamamoto for Domi - Yotes selling low on Domi. Maybe.
Klefbom and RNH for OEL (with planned extension). Yotes might say yes.

Could work but I think the Yotes could do better. Maybe take out Strome and Yamamoto and it works.

RNH + Klefbom + conditional 2019 1st (Turns to a 2nd if he doesn't resign)

for

OEL (extension after trade) + Domi

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Domi and Rieder are both RFAs this summer. The last negotiations with Rieder went poorly. What kind of contract do you give Max Domi? If the Coyotes pick Svechnikov and think he can play past the 9 games, it gives them too many left-handed wingers. Listening to offers leading up to the draft on Domi and Rieder makes sense, depending on contract negotiations, trade offers, and draft position. But it's a long way until the Draft.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Domi and Rieder are both RFAs this summer. The last negotiations with Rieder went poorly. What kind of contract do you give Max Domi? If the Coyotes pick Svechnikov and think he can play past the 9 games, it gives them too many left-handed wingers. Listening to offers leading up to the draft on Domi and Rieder makes sense, depending on contract negotiations, trade offers, and draft position. But it's a long way until the Draft.

with Domi's "down" season I dont think a 2 yr bridge deal would cost much. Maybe 2.5-3m per at most. I would think between the two players you mentioned Arizona would move on from Rieder, Domi has a higher ceiling imo and is younger.

Moving Domi gets you a better return than Rieder would though.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
There was a time on HF where Domi could do no wrong. Some wanted even to trade the farm for him.

AZ fans,

What happened to him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad