Confirmed with Link: Coyotes place Jean-Sebastien Dea on waivers for the purpose of contract termination

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It can’t be Dumba or Jenik because it’s a mutual termination. JS Dea is not going to agree to forego 100% of his compensation just so the Coyotes can sign Dumba or Jenik.

Mutual termination is usually either a gross misconduct issue, a serious personal matter or a better opportunity in Europe.

It could be he’s got a once in a lifetime chance for a great contract in the Swiss league or something. Since he’s a Tourigny favorite from junior and a good soldier maybe the team agreed not to stand in his way. Especially since they need the contract slot anyway.

Reactions: ck26

rt

May 13, 2004
Either it’s mutual (European opportunity or serious personal matter) or it’s with cause (conduct issue). I don’t know another way to terminate a contract.

Maybe I’m wrong and there’s another cause?

EDIT:

Europe.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Either it’s mutual (European opportunity or serious personal matter) or it’s with cause (conduct issue). I don’t know another way to terminate a contract.

Maybe I’m wrong and there’s another cause?

EDIT:

Europe.

He went on a podcast here in Quebec and said he thought about Europe, not happy with the AHL grind.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I like that the Coyotes continue to do right by its players. Meruelo has apparently learned.
37 NHL games scattered among 6 seasons with 4 different franchises seems like everyone has "done right" by Dea. Good AHL player but not quite enough to stick in the show. I hope he goes and gets paid and lives a couple years somewhere cooler than Tucson, Rochester, Springfield, Scranton or Rouyn-Noranda.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Coyotes were going to be at the maximum 50 SPCs when Jenik is re-signed. Makes sense to let someone go to have at least one contract slot open.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

May 13, 2004
He was a big contributor in Tucson. I hope they plan to replace him.
I hope they don’t bring in a replacement honestly. I’m glad they lost a couple of old farts in Carcone and Dea and maybe Potvin will actually let some kids play. It’s supposed to be a developmental league.

Coyotes were going to be at the maximum 50 SPCs when Jenik is re-signed. Makes sense to let someone go to have at least one contract slot open.
Now that we’ve started unclogging the top six and top pp unit in Tucson and might actually have decent minutes and usage to offer Jenik maybe he’ll sign and see Tucson as a step to his success and not a speed bump.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Won't pretend to know anything about the player but he's an undrafted 29 year old who's had good to great AHL stats wherever he went (quite a few orgs). However, has only played 5 NHL games since the start of the 2020 season.

Wish him all the best -- seems like he can definitely play hockey, he aged out of his NHL window but seems like an excellent AHL guy. Hope he can continue (and build on) that success in Europe

Reactions: YotesFan47

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad