Proposal: Coyotes and Devils in D-for-D swap

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
The Offer: Damon Severson and Mirco Mueller for Jakob Chychrun

Why Devils should do it: Severson seems to be in the doghouse. Whether you love Sevs or hate him, Hynes doesn't feel like Severson is reaching his full potential, else he wouldn't be a healthy scratch. Trading him while his value is high seems to be the right move. Chychrun gives the Devils another hope at the 1LD. A big player who is reliable on defense, Chychrun was thrown into the fire in Arizona and has 34 points in 118 games. If the Devils can get Chychrun, that likely makes Mueller expendable (with Butcher and Chychrun filling in at 1LD and 2LD and Greene at 3LD). I initially had offered the 'Yotes a 2019 2nd, but given that Mueller seemed OK last year and was acquired for a 2018 2nd, this should do the trick. NOTE: deal is likely contingent on Devils signing John Carlson in UFA.

Why Coyotes should do it: With an OEL extension all but certain, the Coyotes have a lot of money invested on the left side of their defense: OEL will be signed for 8 years and Goligoski will be around for 3. Niklas Hjalmarsson, the team's top RD, has one year left on his deal and at 32 will probably want to cash out one last time or win a Cup (meaning either way he probably won't be back in Arizona). That leaves Jason Demers for 3 years on the right side and Luke Schenn, who is a UFA, as the team's only other RDs. Suffice to say they clearly need a right handed defenseman (one who can amass points) and Severson fits the bill. In addition, their LD, while having a lot of money invested, needs a truly defensive presence to balance out the other two who are mostly tire-fires in their own zone. Mueller would be able to play first team PK duties. How much longer will the team settle for missing the playoffs? Adding Severson and Mueller, a legit top-4 RD and top-6 LD, for little money at a young age, the 'Yotes could find themselves en route to the playoffs.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't like it. Obviously, if the Devils get Carlson, circumstances change mightily, but I'm not really sold on Chychrun.

I think you're giving up way too much on the Devils side betting on Chychrun's upside and I don't see him ever being a #1 like you claim. I see Chychrun's peak as a Dan Hamhuis type. Just a solid, unspectacular guy that can chip away at a lot of minutes but his offensive game is going to limit him.

I think Mueller ends up a lite version of Chychrun. I don't think from a Devils standpoint the difference between the two should be Severson. I would rather 1 for 1 the deal -- which I think is pretty close dependent on Arizona's needs -- and keep Mueller in the off chance the Devils get Carlson.

Last edited:

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
Severson is the best player in this deal. You could argue Chychrun has more potential (which I believe he does) but NJ isn't giving up 2 good defenseman for 1 defenseman that might be better in a few years.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I'm all for adding Sev, not at the expense of Chychrun. I also wouldn't bet on Chychrun to be your #1/#2 D unless you're looking to be disappointed. LOVE Chychrun and wanted him at 7 his draft year (lucked out and got him later), but he's not really an ideal top pair guy in my opinion.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
I don't like it. Obviously, if the Devils get Carlson, circumstances change mightily, but I'm not really sold on Chychrun.

I think you're giving up way too much on the Devils side betting on Chychrun's upside and I don't see him ever being a #1 like you claim. I see Chychrun's peak as a Dan Hamhuis type. Just a solid, unspectacular guy that can chip away at a lot of minutes but his offensive game is going to limit him.

I think Mueller ends up a lite version of Chychrun. I don't think from a Devils standpoint the difference between the two should be Severson. I would rather 1 for 1 the deal -- which I think is pretty close dependent on Arizona's needs -- and keep Mueller in the off chance the Devils get Carlson.

Fair points being made. I should elaborate and admit I don't expect Chychrun of becoming a "number 1" like a Duncan Keith or an Aaron Ekblad, I meant he is a player that the Devils could use as a fixture in the top-pairing for years to come. Let me add that people's idea of a #1 defensemen are way overblown. By definition, there are 31 #1 defensemen, not just based on minutes but by performance. If all the league's greatest minds were to get together to name their top-31 defensemen, fans would be shocked by some of the names that are considered to be "a #1 guy." That's not to say Chychrun would be a #1 guy, but John Carlson is someone I could see the Devils signing to fill that void who people completely overlook as being "the guy." As for the Hamhuis comparison, if Chychrun becomes a top-pairing, 24-minutes a night defenseman (with 25-35 points per season) on a Stanley Cup contender, I'd be absolutely thrilled. That's what the Devils need, more so than they need a 50-point defenseman who doesn't have a clue in his own d-zone.

As for Mirco Mueller being Chychrun-lite, I don't think I've seen enough from Mueller to agree, but in less playing time on a worse team, Chychrun has shown a lot. Sporting a crowded blue line, the Devils need quality and can afford to part with some of their quantity.

As for the 1-on-1, this trade was initially going to be the Devils' 2019 2nd and Severson for Chychrun, but I wasn't sure if Arizona would need to sweeten the pot and get an LD back instead of just adding picks and not going anywhere.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
Severson is the best player in this deal. You could argue Chychrun has more potential (which I believe he does) but NJ isn't giving up 2 good defenseman for 1 defenseman that might be better in a few years.

I think Chychrun has more potential and he's already better than Mueller and not too far off from Severson (who is 7 years older). I'm pleased you think Chychrun "might be better in a few years" because I see a lot of others saying this guy is the real deal on a bad team. Sounds like the Devils are giving up more than they are getting, something I am rarely worried about with this team.

I'm all for adding Sev, not at the expense of Chychrun. I also wouldn't bet on Chychrun to be your #1/#2 D unless you're looking to be disappointed. LOVE Chychrun and wanted him at 7 his draft year (lucked out and got him later), but he's not really an ideal top pair guy in my opinion.

I appreciate the sentiment. Ideally Chychrun can slot in on the top pairing and the team rolls deep with two solid pairings of Butcher-Vatanen and Chychrun-Carlson, with Greene and Santini filing in as a shutdown pairing. I imagine most fans would scoff at that listing, but I feel very confident in that group's ability to be a top-10 group.

not even remotely interested.

I'm a big fan of constructive criticism and am all ears if you have any

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't like trading for the older player and having to pay Severson. That's 3 million bucks needed for a middle 6 scoring winger and with the Galchenyuk trade the budget is already getting tighter.

Niklas Hjalmarsson, the team's top RD, has one year left on his deal and at 32 will probably want to cash out one last time or win a Cup (meaning either way he probably won't be back in Arizona).

There are actually reports he's close to signing an extension.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...ct-extension-with-niklas-hjalmarsson.2502229/

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
I don't like trading for the older player and having to pay Severson. That's 3 million bucks needed for a middle 6 scoring winger and with the Galchenyuk trade the budget is already getting tighter.

There are actually reports he's close to signing an extension.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...ct-extension-with-niklas-hjalmarsson.2502229/

I'm not familiar with the Coyotes' financial position but based on salary cap alone they are in great shape. Even if they run with an internal budget, I imagine they can afford a guy like Severson, who is on a stellar contract (30 point defenseman playing 20+ minutes a night at age 23) and making just $4.1m.

Thanks for that info on Hjalmarsson; point retracted on my part. That said, a young team on the rise probably doesn't want one side of their defense to be exclusively 30+ years old. Plus adding Sevs could push Demers to the bottom pairing, where he seems most comfortable given his career trajectory. What do you think of adding a guy like Mueller? Would he be a necessary piece to this deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->