Confirmed with Link: Coyotes acquire G Scott Wedgewood from NJD in exchange for a 5th round draft pick

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Best of luck to Wedge and you guys (outside of tonight of course :)). But I've been a big fan of his since we drafted him. It's unfortunately a numbers game here with Schneider and Kinkaid with the big club and Blackwood being the goalie of the future in Binghamton.

I hope he sticks and plays great for you guys going forward. He's a fun goalie to watch, and from all accounts, a good dude.

Reactions: Yandover

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
thanks man!
Well if you're being sincere you're welcome. I know some of you guys think I'm a troll and and are a little standoffish so just to be clear I don't hate you guys, I don't like what the organization did running the Springfield Falcon into the ground, but I don't hold that against you guys.

All that aside due to where I live I've had access to a ton of AHL and ECHL teams especially the west coast teams before they moved. Because of that I've seen a lot of the current NHL guys grow and develop so if you want an honest assessment I'll do my best to give it to you. Just be aware it might not always be what you want to hear as I'm not a homer.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If he can get his save percentage above .858, we'll be better off than Domingue so far...

Wedgewood reminds me of Terreri. Very active and makes routine saves exciting. Stark contrast to Brodeur's calm positioning.

Domingue is sort of an extreme example of most goaltenders. Outside of a few really elite goaltenders, they all have big performance swings and struggle with consistency. That's why you don't pay big for a good year or two, or stretches of a year.
Dom looked real promising early, but he's done here after this awful start. He's too far in the rut. Maybe he can bounce back somewhere else.
I also wonder if there's something off in his prep or conditioning (or something else) that has coaches throwing so much flak at him.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Well if you're being sincere you're welcome. I know some of you guys think I'm a troll and and are a little standoffish so just to be clear I don't hate you guys, I don't like what the organization did running the Springfield Falcon into the ground, but I don't hold that against you guys.

All that aside due to where I live I've had access to a ton of AHL and ECHL teams especially the west coast teams before they moved. Because of that I've seen a lot of the current NHL guys grow and develop so if you want an honest assessment I'll do my best to give it to you. Just be aware it might not always be what you want to hear as I'm not a homer.
What the coyotes did to the falcons was a grade A douchebag move. I'd hate the organization forever for that crap if I were a falcons fan.

Honest opinions are always welcome.

Reactions: offkilter and _Del_

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Or is it aggression to a fault?

Aggression to a fault is pinching in too much, over commiting to checks so you take yourself out of the play, or goalies charging the shooter and ending up out of position on the rebound.

Two defenders chasing the puck carrier is bad situational awareness and bad hockey in general. This is why analyst keep saying the players are dumb as rocks and look like they're playing pond hockey. This is stupid stuff kids squirt teams work on to get down pat. With NHL players you expect better.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Aggression to a fault is pinching in too much, over commiting to checks so you take yourself out of the play, or goalies charging the shooter and ending up out of position on the rebound.

Two defenders chasing the puck carrier is bad situational awareness and bad hockey in general. This is why analyst keep saying the players are dumb as rocks and look like they're playing pond hockey. This is stupid stuff kids squirt teams work on to get down pat. With NHL players you expect better.

Which begs the question: Just why are otherwise solid defending making such transgressions?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Which begs the question: Just why are otherwise solid defending making such transgressions?
Are they otherwise solid? Demers was awful in Florida apparently, kconn isn't NHL caliber, goose has been mistake prone since he got here. OEL is hurt. That leaves Hjarmalsson, who hasn't made many of those mistakes.

There has to be some other factor to explain how frequently these mistskes happen though. I think the idea of confusing teaching is possible. If you're preaching a lot of aggressiveness and speed, maybe players try to play too fast and get over aggressive. Still doesn't explain stuff like 2 dmen attacking one player by the boards, but I'm not sure that can be explained.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Wedgewood reminds me of Terreri. Very active and makes routine saves exciting. Stark contrast to Brodeur's calm positioning.

Stylistically, I'd say the best comparable for Wedge is a poor man's Jonathan Quick. He's an incredible skater and a lot of fun to watch as a result. The downside of that is the style is pretty taxing on your body and he's had a hard time staying healthy throughout his professional career. Injuries and Keith Kinkaid bouncing back in a big way last year have been the two factors that have kept him from having more experience in the NHL.

I would have loved to see him work out in NJ but it's good to see him get a chance and I hope he succeeds for you guys, beginning on Monday.

Reactions: Yandover and _Del_

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Are they otherwise solid? Demers was awful in Florida apparently, kconn isn't NHL caliber, goose has been mistake prone since he got here. OEL is hurt. That leaves Hjarmalsson, who hasn't made many of those mistakes.

There has to be some other factor to explain how frequently these mistskes happen though. I think the idea of confusing teaching is possible. If you're preaching a lot of aggressiveness and speed, maybe players try to play too fast and get over aggressive. Still doesn't explain stuff like 2 dmen attacking one player by the boards, but I'm not sure that can be explained.

All individual player debate aside, I think we should all be able to agree that they are all solid enough not to make the silly decisions that players are taught as children not to make. We have also witnessed every single one of them make the same mistake, some more than once.

Reactions: Murf

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
All individual player debate aside, I think we should all be able to agree that they are all solid enough not to make the silly decisions that players are taught as children not to make. We have also witnessed every single one of them make the same mistake, some more than once.
Agreed, but Hjarmalsson has been mostly immune to whatever bizarre malady that's afflicted our dmen so it can't just be our coaching. Like you mentioned though regardless of their hockey IQ some of those mistakes shouldn't be made even in juniors, so it's not just the players either. It's strange because I have a hard time imagining what causes NHL defenders to make some of these mistakes. Demers charging the half boards on that pk against Dallas leaving benn wide open is maybe the most baffling hockey play I've ever seen.

Giacomo

Sep 26, 2017
If you really want to check him out, look up that Penguins game. The short highlights don't show his performance that night, he had a terrific game.
His stats all around are good. should make a good back up

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated

I'm sincere lol not sure where all that came from. We appreciate you for letting us know.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
I'm sincere lol not sure where all that came from. We appreciate you for letting us know.

Long story. Basically it goes back to disagreements from on the Tuscon/Springfield AHL thread and my not thinking too highly of some prospects or the way the organization wants to develop talent. Don't worry about it too much.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Wait? They're starting Domingue anyway? What the ****?!?!?

Start Domigue or star Wedgewood against his former team who likely has him very scouted and knows his tendencies very well? Tough choice but I would have gone with Wedgewood. Actually I would have waived Domingue and started Hill just to keep Wedgewood from being exposed by the Devils. Still I think Wedgewood will see some playing time tonight.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Best of luck to Wedge as a Coyote; he looked very solid is limited NHL starts with us, but there simply wasn't a spot for him with us having Schneider & Kinkaid already.

He definitely has the talent to get it done in the NHL, whether or not he can do it consistently is another matter but i'll certainly be rooting for him. There's definitely much worse options out there for a 5th round pick.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Agreed, but Hjarmalsson has been mostly immune to whatever bizarre malady that's afflicted our dmen so it can't just be our coaching. Like you mentioned though regardless of their hockey IQ some of those mistakes shouldn't be made even in juniors, so it's not just the players either. It's strange because I have a hard time imagining what causes NHL defenders to make some of these mistakes. Demers charging the half boards on that pk against Dallas leaving benn wide open is maybe the most baffling hockey play I've ever seen.

Mostly immune, but not entirely. I can't sight the game but remember Hjalmarsson making same error. the only common denominator I can apply is coaching. Now having said that, I have a hard time believing RT is instructing such errors, but he could be instructing more d zone aggression. It's even somewhat possible that some vets are going out of their way to prove him wrong. All we can do is speculate and scratch out collective heads.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Mostly immune, but not entirely. I can't sight the game but remember Hjalmarsson making same error. the only common denominator I can apply is coaching. Now having said that, I have a hard time believing RT is instructing such errors, but he could be instructing more d zone aggression. It's even somewhat possible that some vets are going out of their way to prove him wrong. All we can do is speculate and scratch out collective heads.
I can't recall hjalmarsson doing anything quite that crazy, but I've missed one whole game and the 1st and 2nd periods of another so I probably missed it.

Yeah head scratching is all we can do when those plays happen, and if they keep happening this frequently I'll have some open wounds on my head.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hjalmarsson had a poor shot blocked that went the other way for a goal and that's it so far. We don't deserve him. Such a pro.

Reactions: Sthlmyote and rt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad